Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

The Big Reveal: Crows and vessels - Official discussion thread

It's not really an animal, though... it's a spirit that looks like one.  You can practically roleplay as anyone since your body doesn't have to match who you really are.

Yea but that's like the difference between roleplaying as Azazel or Denzel Washington...

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

It's not really an animal, though... it's a spirit that looks like one.  You can practically roleplay as anyone since your body doesn't have to match who you really are.

I agree what we can role play as anyone, but the persistent character that we control is a crow, an animal.

Are the active vessels in the campaigns we are NOT CURRENTLY IN safe from being inhabited by others, or are they free-for-all (question for both EKs and Campaigns)? 

Now this. this is an interesting question. Will we keep vessels locked to a CW in our keep? Is there a possibility of others breaking in and possessing the vessel. I say that would be fun. :)

I agree what we can role play as anyone, but the persistent character that we control is a crow, an animal.

"Physically" (meta-physically?) sure, but role playing on appearance kinda sucks.  I can recall D&D campaigns with players that would just say "I'm so evil!" over and over, and talk about how dark and "evil" their character looks, and would never do anything that really coincided with their alignment.  I also recall killing him and barbecuing him in front of 2 guards, claiming I was an illusionist and nat 20'ing my bluff.    The first part isn't really role playing.  The second part is, and I could have done that as a dwarf, a halfling, a human, or even a ghostly crow.  I mean, I was an illusionist, afterall.  (Maybe I was a Dread Necromancer)

Now this. this is an interesting question. Will we keep vessels locked to a CW in our keep? Is there a possibility of others breaking in and possessing the vessel. I say that would be fun. :)

From what I understand, you can take a vessel from someone as you would any other item. Now posessing the vessel, that is, making it your active vessel, can only be done at the graveyar/ tomb (as far as we know now, they might add different ways of doing it in the future).

Edited by LGAllastair

KjUVOZg.png

Guild Leader/ High Elder

I think that the concerns expressed in the thread were more related to the fact that the persistent controller character is now a ghostly crow rather than a humanoid character. If I understood correctly we'll be able to customize the appearance of the vessels we possess.

Some people see a difference of attachment to the hero they control depending on the nature of this character. If the persistent entity controlled is an animal, a number of players may have more trouble to role play and identify to this character.

So they would have a problem RPing or relating to a Myrmidon, Stalker or Guinecean? See why this line of "reasoning" doesn't make sense?

And you can customize the shell, and keep it indefinitely, but that is, somehow, not enough.

Edited by bairloch

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

So they would have a problem RPing or relating to a Myrmidon, Stalker or Guinecean? See why this line of "reasoning" doesn't make sense?

Most (I think all, currently) of the beast races in Crowfall have humanoid traits. The bull, guinea pig and deer seem to move, fight and stand like humans. Maybe certain players will still have trouble with those characters, as you suggest. If it's the case they could just stick with human heroes though.

Most (I think all, currently) of the beast races in Crowfall have humanoid traits. The bull, guinea pig and deer seem to move, fight and stand like humans. Maybe certain players will still have trouble with those characters, as you suggest. If it's the case they could just stick with human heroes though.

And this "crow" has a "human" mind. That is the most important trait of all, yes?

"Physically" (meta-physically?) sure, but role playing on appearance kinda sucks.  I can recall D&D campaigns with players that would just say "I'm so evil!" over and over, and talk about how dark and "evil" their character looks, and would never do anything that really coincided with their alignment.  I also recall killing him and barbecuing him in front of 2 guards, claiming I was an illusionist and nat 20'ing my bluff.    The first part isn't really role playing.  The second part is, and I could have done that as a dwarf, a halfling, a human, or even a ghostly crow.  I mean, I was an illusionist, afterall.  (Maybe I was a Dread Necromancer)

Agreed on pretty much all this, but certain people, me included, would find it more difficult to role play a fantasy medieval personage while controlling a big yellow ball rather than a human knight or gnome mage.  :P

And this "crow" has a "human" mind. That is the most important trait of all, yes?

They could make it really important through the lore or by explaining it when the players first log in the game.

At the first glance though, if it looks like a crow and flies like a crow, players will most likely think it's a crow.

Edited by courant101

From what I understand, you can take a vessel from someone as you would any other item. Now posessing the vessel, that is, making it your active vessel, can only be done at the graveyar/ tomb (as far as we know now, they might add different ways of doing it in the future).

The one thing about this that concerns me a little is simply how they treat vessels being "stronger" than others.... They imply that you can find a "general" in the tombs of the campaign worlds which could indicate a perk or better stats. Maybe it could have a special passive dedicated to that vessel even. But I am interested in how that will play a part in your stat comparison.... like will people who come in with the strongest vessel they can find what type of difference does that make on top of the gear they have.

KjUVOZg.png

Varius - Veteran Member of LG

The one thing about this that concerns me a little is simply how they treat vessels being "stronger" than others.... They imply that you can find a "general" in the tombs of the campaign worlds which could indicate a perk or better stats. Maybe it could have a special passive dedicated to that vessel even. But I am interested in how that will play a part in your stat comparison.... like will people who come in with the strongest vessel they can find what type of difference does that make on top of the gear they have.

It's probably fair to think of it as another piece of gear, probably with more stats than most pieces.

They could make it really important through the lore or by explaining it when the players first log in the game.

At the first glance though, if it looks like a crow and flies like a crow, players will most likely think it's a crow.

And that appears to be the sticking point. The look shouldn't be as important. That's where your skills are,  your attributes, "you" for all intents and purposes. What it looks like, I can't see how that is more important that what it is.

It has already been said that it will be a factor, but not an overwhelming one by JTodd.

Edited by bairloch

I'm less worried about RPers because I think RPers are conscious of what they are doing and knowhow to make it work so they connect with their character. I'm worried about the people that don't consciously RP. I believe this is the majority of players. They don't THINK they rp but they do, everyone that loads a game is RPing to an extent, unless you hit random on your character creation and play with a COD online mindest I can't imagine you are completely removed from some level of "assuming the role" of a character. It goes back to playing with toys as kids etc etc I could go on but, my point is, I worry the general populous "wont get into" CF characters. They wont retain well but they, not being aware of RP, wont exactly know why. Its one of the subconscious "I just cant get into that game for some reason" vs "I'm really into this game for some reason". Its a factor that most gamers might not be calculating but are still heavily effected by.

I role play a wordsmith.

It's probably fair to think of it as another piece of gear, probably with more stats than most pieces.

A gear that could possibly have a multiplier effect on all the other gears, combined with the possible multiplier effect of artifact and relics buffs and the vessel skills, Crow skills, disciplines, advantages and disadvantages, promotion classes...

Sometimes when we add a couple of 15% from many sources, it adds up and become really powerful. 

I'm less worried about RPers because I think RPers are conscious of what they are doing and knowhow to make it work so they connect with their character. I'm worried about the people that don't consciously RP. I believe this is the majority of players. They don't THINK they rp but they do, everyone that loads a game is RPing to an extent, unless you hit random on your character creation and play with a COD online mindest I can't imagine you are completely removed from some level of "assuming the role" of a character. It goes back to playing with toys as kids etc etc I could go on but, my point is, I worry the general populous "wont get into" CF characters. They wont retain well but they, not being aware of RP, wont exactly know why. Its one of the subconscious "I just cant get into that game for some reason" vs "I'm really into this game for some reason". Its a factor that most gamers might not be calculating but are still heavily effected by.

But haven't they been open from the beginning on CF not being for the "general populace"? That it wouldn't be mainstream and that didn't worry them?

I would like to know the tech benefits to the system switch. Does it allow for bigger battles? More Voxel destruction? How does it work better for EKs? If we didnt have EKs could we have avatars? Could their be a server with a unique "rule set" that plays avatar based and doesnt have the Crow Death Run concept? (ok I strayed away from the tech stuff lol)

If we had more tech reasoning I think it would be easier to accept. If we are losing a character connection for better gameplay that si something that is likely a sacrifice most are more willing to take. If we are losing it to keep the EK concept because that is where the money to support the game will be made then that is also understanding, the game obviously had to earn money to stay afloat. If its just a "cool idea" that adds little to the game other than a new item to craft and a power armor class concept then its hard to imagine the trade off is worth it.

I role play a wordsmith.

And that appears to be the sticking point. The look shouldn't be as important. That's where your skills are,  your attributes, "you" for all intents and purposes. What it looks like, I can't see how that is more important that what it is.

I think saying "the look shouldn't be as important" doesn't have an impact on the importance people attach to the look. There is probably a number of people who dislike the feature and feels like they won't have much attachment to a ghostly crow, or think that temporary disposable characters aren't fun because they break the immersion.

My impression is that many mmorpg players are looking for a certain feeling of persistence and relative stability in the universe their character evolve in. We had the Eternal Heroes that were balancing the fact that the worlds are constantly changing. Now the characters we control are temporary while the "soul" is persistent. It's a pretty big risk to take imo and it could certainly pay off if those mechanics can attract enough players from different genres.

But haven't they been open from the beginning on CF not being for the "general populace"? That it wouldn't be mainstream and that didn't worry them?

Oddly enough this system actually works against such a sentiment... because it gives you much more freedom and option while being "committed" to a campaign.

This is a common trend in the mainstream for years now, where people want to be able to undo tough choices in favor of convenience.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

To me the niche statement became less relevant around the time of the KS. For the first 2 months I think it was definitely going niche and appealing to old SB fans. After the EK stuff combined with the KS marketing referencing things like Game of Thrones I think it was safe to say the "niche" concept was expanded on. Its hard to stay niche with the EKs (a very main stream concept) and I'd say outside of Star Wars nothing is less niche right now than Game of Thrones hehe. 

I role play a wordsmith.