Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ionbound

Concerns about the 'Crows and Vessels' System

Fixed that for you. Man it seems we have an epidemic of people thinking their way of RPing (or thier not doing so) is the only way possible.

Its not about being the only way. Its just that this sort of game is pretty well setup to punish RP, or any other inefficiency for that matter. It just feels so limiting on what you can play without being at a disadvantage. Given that I RP to get away from reality imposed limits it totally guts the fun when the game is very constraining.

David Sirlin's Balancing Multiplayer Games should be mandatory reading for all gamers.

Its not about being the only way. Its just that this sort of game is pretty well setup to punish RP, or any other inefficiency for that matter. It just feels so limiting on what you can play without being at a disadvantage. Given that I RP to get away from reality imposed limits it totally guts the fun when the game is very constraining.

The reason I loved the old MMOs was in fact the escape to a lawless tierless world to live in. That said I also believe through creativity and imagination most RP aspects can be overcome, I mean people found ways to RP in shells like WOW and SWTOR! RPers will use their creativity to overcome and connect, the players that aren't as aware of the facts that they are RPing ar ethe ones I worry about.

I role play a wordsmith.

From your RP standpoint constant body jumping dissolves identity, from my standpoint it's yet another character trait. Whether a crow stays in one body to the best of their ability or they jump around tells me about that crow.

Why is the first crow so attached to that body? Has it been through an emotional time with it that it wants to remember? Maybe having one body helps to remind them of a time when they were mortal? Do they miss their mortality? Do I miss my mortality?

How about the crow who jumps? Why do they want to constantly change? Are they afraid of commitment? Do they simply change because it's useful to? If so I wonder how utilitarian they are. Would they sacrifice my trust if it was for the greater good in their eyes? Can I trust them?

So many possible questions and so many possible answers from the simple act of body jumping or not.

Yeah, I'm not going to go out of my way to qualify the obvious to you, there's a reason why shows, games, sequel, and the movie industry utilize the same features over and over again. Visual recognition and attachment are appreciated by a majority of ppl.

If ppl here want to act willfully ignorant about the obvious subtractions lack of identity cause, your welcome to it, the loss of appeal and disruption of expectations exists no matter how oblivious you attempt to be about it.

RPers never had to say anything before because all evidence prior confirmed static characters, they needn't complain about a problem that didn't exist. And visual attachment extends broadly to a majority of ppl beyond the express role player.

I've got little and less time to break out the crayon every time someone wants to act obstinate and question easily observable interests, if your actually so dumb that you legitimately can't understand popular interests, than there's no point in discussing it.

Ppl need to stop inputting their individual preference as an indication of market appeal, this is not about how you or I feel about something, it's about Crowfalls success due to the kind of audience it retains to make a successful game.

Edited by bahamutkaiser

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Ppl need to stop inputting their individual preference as an indication of market appeal, this is not about how you or I feel about something, it's about Crowfalls success due to the kind of audience it retains to make a successful game.

This, so much this.

"Through the travail of ages, midst the pomp and toils of war, have I fought and strove and perished, countless times among the stars.
As if through a glass and darkly, the age old strife I see, when I fought in many guises and many names, but always me."

I don't understand people saying they lose the sense of attachment to their character. If you like only playing a caramel and white Guinecean with a red and gold waistcoat you can either: 1) Play in campaigns that allow you to return to the same body or 2) Create an identical avatar from a spare vessel. If you only play one archetype, the vessel system isn't really different than respawning in other games.

Edited by ZaphodBeeblebrox

Yeah, I'm not going to go out of my way to qualify the obvious to you, there's a reason why shows, games, sequel, and the movie industry utilize the same features over and over again. Visual recognition and attachment are appreciated by a majority of ppl.

If ppl here want to act willfully ignorant about the obvious subtractions lack of identity cause, your welcome to it, the loss of appeal and disruption of expectations exists no matter how oblivious you attempt to be about it.

RPers never had to say anything before because all evidence prior confirmed static characters, they needn't complain about a problem that didn't exist. And visual attachment extends broadly to a majority of ppl beyond the express role player.

I've got little and less time to break out the crayon every time someone wants to act obstinate and question easily observable interests, if your actually so dumb that you legitimately can't understand popular interests, than there's no point in discussing it.

Ignoring your assumptions based on your non-existent (or at least non-cited) market data/ other evidence. I'll just address your underlying issue as stated in your own words: "it's about Crowfalls success due to the kind of audience it retains to make a successful game." 

The developers of Crowfall "obviously" don't care to include (or not include) aspects of traditional MMORPG game design based on what will be popular broadly (at least to a certain extent). If they were why don't we, while we at it, remove the crows and vessels system, corpse-looting, temporary campaign worlds, etc. Or include Raids, tab-targeting, etc. I'm sure it's "obvious" that those are better design choices to attract more people to keep the game healthy.

OR

Maybe we let the developers make the choices about their game and not selectively question what is "obvious" when they have a much better source of opinion data than we do. All of this selective questioning seemingly because one aspect of a non-traditional MMORPG is appealing to us and another isn't. Don't parade the "not popular" argument around to one aspect of the game simply because it doesn't sit well with you when you are fine to ignore the same potential quandary for other aspects of the game that do sit well with you. If someone has an issue with an aspect of the game make your augment from a position of critique of the system, don't hide behind some unfounded sense of "obviousness." I should think you get the point so I'll stop there.

Now, on to my second point: I agree people need to stop inputting their personal preference as an indication of market appeal, hence I took an overly general post about RP preferences and made it more specific to that poster. When I gave my own opinion I even italicized "my" as to highlight that it was my opinion not a general one. The funny thing here is that while condemning parading personal preference used as an indication of market appeal you seems happy to inform us all of what is appealing to the market with absolutely no evidence, just a feeling of what is "obvious."

Edited by ThePaulineIndex