Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What did you guys think about the new Star Wars movie?

mortalman

Loved it. The plot holes while pretty big didn't spoil it for me.

Hopefully in the next movies and also in any novels or comics and such they fill the gaps and answer a lot of the questions.

Way better than episodes I, II, and III... but that's not setting the bar very high (lol).

-Around middle of film, female lead gets wtf super power boost out of nowhere. LAMENESS STARTS HERE

-Promising Vader wannabe turns into whiney wrist cutting emo. LAME

-Female lead can suddenly use jedi mind control crap despite zero training and learning the force exists 10 minutes prior. LAME

-Female lead and and storm trooper kick the poorly made socks out of almost-sith lord in light saber duel? LOL VERY LAME.

These are a just a few examples of the LAMENESS.

Edited by Aguise

I couldn't agree more. WTF, a woman who did nothing all her life except scrap parts is somehow more skilled with a lightsaber than that near sith dude? Give me a break. That was just pure hogwash. Most of the movie was great, except for the fact that this chick somehow became an instant Jedi master out of nowhere. The StarWars saga beats into you the fact that these jedis have literally decades of training to master their natural Jedi powers, but somehow this girl can use the force AND be a master of the lightsaber without any prior experience...

Edited by mortalman

This supposed to be at off-topic section ;)  :ph34r:

-off-topic: I didn't watch the movie yet, will do later.

Edited by Mox

SkDJEH9.png Discord: message me if you want to stay in touch. Retired CrowFall member.

I couldn't agree more. WTF, a woman who did nothing all her life except scrap parts is somehow more skilled with a lightsaber than that near sith dude? Give me a break. That was just pure hogwash. Most of the movie was great, except for the fact that this chick somehow became an instant Jedi master out of nowhere. The StarWars saga beats into you the fact that these jedis have literally decades of training to master their natural Jedi powers, but somehow this girl can use the force AND be a master of the lightsaber without any prior experience...

I would say her prowess with the lightsaber had more to do with how powerful she was with the force. Many of Jedi seemed naturally talented at things that usually require tight reflexes, like sword fighting or piloting. It also had a lot to do with Kylo underestimating just how deep she could tap into the force. We also see evidence early on that she does have combat prowess before picking up a lightsaber. Another things is kendo has always been at the core of lightsaber battles and one of the key components of that is spirit. Kendoka spend most of their time tempering both the body and spirit which fits very nicely into the narrative, and may have been part of the reason this fight went the way it did. Ray took a moment to bring herself to a peaceful state which is a very dangerous place to allow a Jedi to stay.

My name is Toothbrush, Scourge of the local pond, King of this tree stump, and future leader of, "The Irregulars".

I would say her prowess with the lightsaber had more to do with how powerful she was with the force. Many of Jedi seemed naturally talented at things that usually require tight reflexes, like sword fighting or piloting. It also had a lot to do with Kylo underestimating just how deep she could tap into the force. We also see evidence early on that she does have combat prowess before picking up a lightsaber. Another things is kendo has always been at the core of lightsaber battles and one of the key components of that is spirit. Kendoka spend most of their time tempering both the body and spirit which fits very nicely into the narrative, and may have been part of the reason this fight went the way it did. Ray took a moment to bring herself to a peaceful state which is a very dangerous place to allow a Jedi to stay.

I agree that they (script writer & co) made an effort to make the saber duel somewhat more believable. That is they showed the female lead could fight hand-to-hand with a staff to some extent earlier in the movie. They had the vader-wannabe shot before his duel and showed him hitting the wound (wtf why would you punch your own wound? seems painful). And they set it right after he killed his old man (in a very unbelievable and lol cheesy fashion) so you could explain away inconsistencies with 'he was mentally distraught'. However it still wasn't believable for me because of the inconsistent power level of vader-wannabe during the duel. He force pushes girl against the tree at the beginning then shows off his poorly made socks saber skills by near losing against a storm trooper (lol). Then in an attempt to redeem his saber fighting reputation decides to ignore force push and fight the untrained girl in a lightsaber duel... that he then... loses (omg lol X*D).

Also can you explain away the ridiculousness of everything in the star wars universe indicating it takes years (or at least months for some abilities) of training to use certain jedi powers, like mind control and telekinesis, being used by a complete and utter force-noob with absolutely zero training.

I can look past the lightsaber duel if I try hard, but the force stuff. I just can't let it go. It was just pure hogwash deus ex machina. 

Edited by Aguise

I dont really think we need spoilers here, i doubt anyone will expect that a topic starting with "new star wars movie" would be spoiler free.

This "sith lord" was shot with crossbow that can send stormtroopers flying, i believe thats the excuse for sith lord fighting so badly with lightsaber. Girl fought normally, it was sith lord that fought ametour-ly and i believe the reason is him being hit with crossbow.

I agree that they (script writer & co) made an effort to make the saber duel somewhat more believable. That is they showed the female lead could fight hand-to-hand with a staff to some extent earlier in the movie. They had the vader-wannabe shot before his duel and showed him hitting the wound (wtf why would you punch your own wound? seems painful). And they set it right after he killed his old man (in a very unbelievable and lol cheesy fashion) so you could explain away inconsistencies with 'he was mentally distraught'. However it still wasn't believable for me because of the inconsistent power level of vader-wannabe during the duel. He force pushes girl against the tree at the beginning then shows off his poorly made socks saber skills by near losing against a storm trooper (lol). Then in an attempt to redeem his saber fighting reputation decides to ignore force push and fight the untrained girl in a lightsaber duel... that he then... loses (omg lol X*D).

Also can you explain away the ridiculousness of everything in the star wars universe indicating it takes years (or at least months for some abilities) of training to use certain jedi powers, like mind control and telekinesis, being used by a complete and utter force-noob with absolutely zero training.

I can look past the lightsaber duel if I try hard, but the force stuff. I just can't let it go. It was just pure hogwash deus ex machina. 

I will be watching this a 2nd time this week with your lens to try to catch more, but his lack of force use during the fight goes hand in hand with the points i made about the lightsaber duel. She claimed Anakin's lightsaber when he was clearly going for it, which was a pretty good indicator of the gap in concentration between the two. Had he forced pushed her and failed he would have been exposed. At that point he turned to his physical prowess and rage because he was more confident that he wouldn't be overtaken there.

My next point is a bit more philosophical and something covered in The Art of War, "If you surround the enemy, leave an outlet; do not press an enemy that is cornered." When Ray got cornered she dug deep. Had he kept toying with her and manipulated her, like the dark lord he idolizes would have, he would have won. Was it an upset, for sure, I figured she would lose a limb or something would separate the two before the battle concluded. While I did not see her outright winning, in my opinion, it wasn't outside of the realm of possibility in that universe.

I am excited to take a second glance at it with your prospective in mind and see if my view of the fight becomes more clear and penetrates the fanboy goggles I watched it with the first time.

My name is Toothbrush, Scourge of the local pond, King of this tree stump, and future leader of, "The Irregulars".

I will be watching this a 2nd time this week with your lens to try to catch more, but his lack of force use during the fight goes hand in hand with the points i made about the lightsaber duel. She claimed Anakin's lightsaber when he was clearly going for it, which was a pretty good indicator of the gap in concentration between the two. Had he forced pushed her and failed he would have been exposed. At that point he turned to his physical prowess and rage because he was more confident that he wouldn't be overtaken there.

My next point is a bit more philosophical and something covered in The Art of War, "If you surround the enemy, leave an outlet; do not press an enemy that is cornered." When Ray got cornered she dug deep. Had he kept toying with her and manipulated her, like the dark lord he idolizes would have, he would have won. Was it an upset, for sure, I figured she would lose a limb or something would separate the two before the battle concluded. While I did not see her outright winning, in my opinion, it wasn't outside of the realm of possibility in that universe.

I am excited to take a second glance at it with your prospective in mind and see if my view of the fight becomes more clear and penetrates the fanboy goggles I watched it with the first time.

Well, I might be overly harsh. I only saw the scene once and I am aware they at least attempted to make it somewhat believable (as I stated). Thinking back on it, my main complaint is that they shouldn't have a level 1 force newb (Ray) using level 5 force abilities without leveling up first. Don't tell me she went and trained with Yoda for 3 years in the 10 minutes she was off screen!? The blatant inconsistency with the rest of the star wars universe is an insult to my intelligence. Not even the terrible poorly made socks pile that is episodes I, II, and III did that. 

The blatant inconsistency with the rest of the star wars universe is an insult to my intelligence. Not even the terrible poorly made socks pile that is episodes I, II, and III did that. 

/agree

I also wonder if only the true nerds are raging on these issues.  They seem to be breaking all the ticket sales records.  Many theater goers were not alive when Episode IV opened in 1977.  That was a different time.  They had to "sell" a new genre.  Now all they have to do is push something out and count the money.  Even Phantom Menace made a huge profit.

I liked it.  My biggest issues are that a. Rey is too perfect, and b. why, oh why did it have to be yet another Deathstar? 

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

Good action movie. Bad Star Wars movie.

C+

Darth Emo ruined every scene he was in. Mary Sue Rey had a good personality and I like the actress but her being amazing and better than everyone at everything annoyed me. Finn was the highlight of the movie. Soft hearted guy who is a little bit cowardly and just wants to get away from the fighting. That made it more impressive when he decided not to run when Rey was captured because he was the only one in the Rebel Alliance with any hope of saving his friend.

OJN1n7E.png

I see a lot of people talking about their dislike of the Rey/Kylo fight, so here is my 2cents on why Kylo isn't as well trained as some people think:

-You weren't watching 2 Knights fight, or a Knight and a Sith Lord, you were watching 2 amatuers. Rey clearly had some prior training with her staff, and Kylo may have had some training, but nothing on the level of any other Jedi that has dueled.

-Kylo Ren was shown through out the movie as a force user, but his abilities are far from the level of a Knight or Sith Lord. I'm assuming he left Luke as an apprentice and judging by his outbursts and actions, his shoddy lightsaber skills, and how he was regarded as by his peers, he hasn't "leveled up" much. Vader inspired fear, Kylo can't inspire a pair of Stormtroopers.

"Through the travail of ages, midst the pomp and toils of war, have I fought and strove and perished, countless times among the stars.
As if through a glass and darkly, the age old strife I see, when I fought in many guises and many names, but always me."

I see a lot of people talking about their dislike of the Rey/Kylo fight, so here is my 2cents on why Kylo isn't as well trained as some people think:

-You weren't watching 2 Knights fight, or a Knight and a Sith Lord, you were watching 2 amatuers. Rey clearly had some prior training with her staff, and Kylo may have had some training, but nothing on the level of any other Jedi that has dueled.

-Kylo Ren was shown through out the movie as a force user, but his abilities are far from the level of a Knight or Sith Lord. I'm assuming he left Luke as an apprentice and judging by his outbursts and actions, his shoddy lightsaber skills, and how he was regarded as by his peers, he hasn't "leveled up" much. Vader inspired fear, Kylo can't inspire a pair of Stormtroopers.

Kylo's station in the Knights of Ren is mentioned as he is referred to as the "master of the Knights of Ren" Seeing as we have no real idea how the Knights of Ren's hierarchy is set up this is speculation, but Master is not a title you would give an armature.  He took a shoot from the bowcaster which they took many opportunities to show you just how powerful it is. That fact that he was standing upright was impressive enough, he was just at an extreme disadvantage and still almost won.

Kylo Ren's origin story

The Angst is strong with this one.

Edited by Toothbrush