Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gunthar

Linux Client

Bumping for notice. I want to get away from windows so bad, and since AMD has good linux support as well as Mantle, if Crowfall supports both linux and mantle (and dx12) we can all be happy, and all play together. I really hate windows, I loath it. So I literally just switched to linux today. Its running really good, boots faster than windows, but I've yet to find a game I can play on it, the games I was playing (and go figure) have no linux support, so now I am kinda of out of gaming until I either install an older linux supported game or find a new one. This game could be a lot to very many people. I say linux/mac/windows support 100% coverage of users. This way everyone has a chance to play.

The new FAQ mentions Windows, Mac, consoles and mobile(s, but not mention of Linux. So that doesn't make me hopeful...  :(

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Well, we're seeing more and more games getting native clients or ports on Linux. If enough game developers offer that as an option more people would play on Linux I think. For me it's not worth it atm, because the games I like to play are not available on Linux (yet). If Blizzard, SOE, Ubisoft and others would do it ... 

Windows 8(.1) isn't really well received (I think it's okay though) and I don't care much about the upcoming Windows 10 with Cortana and all other useless crap. I would switch to Linux if I didn't need Windows to play games. I just prefer Linux.

ZCcquVD.png

Just have a look at Steam which even is becoming an OS named SteamOS for consoles (SteamMachines) and computers. When SteamOS is fully deployed to the market the numbers of linux users will climp very steep.

Damn Lin-Nerds!

NO!!

Bow to the almighty

win.png

Know me and fear me. My embrace is for all and is patient but sure. The dead can always find you. My hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me.

694a6f04-03a1-4af3-8e11-ddd1baa87348.jpg

The new FAQ mentions Windows, Mac, consoles and mobile(s, but not mention of Linux. So that doesn't make me hopeful...  :(

Mac usually implies Linux because of opengl anyway doesn't it? I mean once a mac client is out it generally doesn't take that much work to port it to linux as opposed to directly porting windows to linux without an emulation layer

** will probably be unplayable for extreme free software fanatics though, requiring non-free repos

Edited by bio

I guess I have to ask, how many people use Linux? Not sarcastically asked I might add.

I use(d) it. Technically I still use it on my Android phone and I also have a Chromebook. But, I assume you meant on the desktop. :-) I love Linux. Tried dual booting for a while, hated it, switched fully to Linux for a few months. That was better, but it was such a pain to get games running back in the day. So I went back to Windows, because I can just install a game and be sure I can play the game right after that and not worrying about Wine settings.

Now it's better with Steam for Linux, but there's still one problem. The games I currently like to play are not native on Linux and I would need to tinker with settings again or go dual booting to make those work.

So, I'm sitting in the waiting room. I would like to use Linux, but it's not worth the effort for me at the moment. In the end I just want to play games easily. More and more game developers are making Linux ports or even native clients, but it's mostly the Indie companies that do it. If a new game is being developed which I really like (Crowfall) and it's only be released on Windows (and Mac) then it's another reason to stay with Windows. I'm waiting for a few more big publishers to make the big step, like Blizzard, Ubisoft and Daybreak Games (formerly SOE).

When that happens, I'll switch to Linux and never look back.

ZCcquVD.png

I use Linux more often than I do Windows.

That said, this should be a very very low priority for the devs relative to everything else they need to work on. Linux is not designed for PC gaming and probably never will be, or at least not for a long time.

Linux all the way!

If Crowfall won't have a native client for Linux users, then it's just a matter of time before someone figure things out. Linux users are innovative and passionate about reverse engineering things.. as we always do.

I know a game that didn't waste their money for supporting Linux users, instead, they realize that it's vital for their growth. 0AD is very promising, that even on it's early days, linux/mac/windows is already supported.

Edited by upbeta

On 9/3/2017 at 0:23 AM, upbeta said:

Linux all the way!

If Crowfall won't have a native client for Linux users, then it's just a matter of time before someone figure things out. Linux users are innovative and passionate about reverse engineering things.. as we always do.

I know a game that didn't waste their money for supporting Linux users, instead, they realize that it's vital for their growth. 0AD is very promising, that even on it's early days, linux/mac/windows is already supported.

never heard of 0AD. But it remains that it cost too much to develop a client for such a minute amount of people. I could see ACE consider it if Linux had 10k people ready to play the game. Any number under 10k is just a waste of development cash.

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

I'm still hoping there will be a native linux client for Crowfall.

At the moment, I am on a dual-boot just to keep up-to-date with the game :D

I use nvidia shield sometimes =)

remote linux client - moonlight 720p-1080p @60fps only with integrated GPU

home pc with windows as server. works very well. can even pvp easily

Edited by makkon

crowfall pvp makkonMyrmidon statement: Out of Fury

Discord makkon#8550