Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Linux Client

gunthar

On 11.9.2017 at 4:45 AM, makkon said:

I use nvidia shield sometimes =)

remote linux client - moonlight 720p-1080p @60fps only with integrated GPU

home pc with windows as server. works very well. can even pvp easily

Gotta get the networking up for my VM with passed Graphics card and will give it a try then??

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone had any luck with this?

So far, I've managed to get the game to start the installer with Proton in Steam, but installation immediately fails when trying to install visual c++ 2013 runtime.

Error: "Error occurred while processing the workflow. Process returned unknown error code"

yhC9TRw.png

Requirements:

* steam installed

* proton enabled for steam play

Steps to get this far:

1. Download live client installer.

2. Extract installer to folder.

2. Add `CFInstaller_Live_ACE.exe` to steam via "Games > Add a Non-Steam Game to My Library".

3. In CFInstaller_Live_ACE.exe properties window ("> properties" in right click menu of game name in steam library), enable "Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool". Select "Proton 3.16-9 Beta".

At the writing of this there is a newer version of proton available ("Proton 4.2-3"), but the installer only appears to start with "Proton 3.16-9 Beta".

I take it might be possible to get past this with winetricks, but no luck so far.

Edited by mercor
added image

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll have to give it a try with the latest builds of Proton  (or one of the other setups such as Lutris bunding WINE+Winetricks+DXVK to make something very similar to Proton etc).   Overall I'm vehemently supportive of a native Linux client, even if it comes in the future.    Wine/Proton compatibility, if checked on during development, can also be used as stepping stones to an easier native release, in some cases. 

• 1 month later...

Since this game is written in Unity, there is more hope. (and from what I'm seeing below).

I also had problems trying to run the installer in WINE. I used winetricks to install vcrun2013 and a multitude of other items to try and get the installer to not crash. From what I can tell from the output, it seems to crash when it calls the function to download the content. I'm not sure which function they are using, as I'm not getting a lot out of the WINE output (but I'm only a novice at WINE debugging).

To see if I could get past the installer, I booted over to a windows install and installed the game. I verified I could login and make a character, etc. 

Then in Linux I tried to run the launcher in WINE and it freezes and locks up the launcher. Similar to the installer, it's at the point where it would need to check for a new client / download the new client.

-BUT-

When I choose to run the client exe directly it runs and allows me to login!

This is using standalone Proton 4.9 w/ DXVK 1.3.2 (Ran through Lutris to hopefully make a Lutris script).

Now don't get your hopes up just yet 😞 .... I did notice a few problems. Some that winetricks could probably fix and others not...

1. My characters that I created on Windows are missing! My guess is that the launcher is doing some connection magic or I'm not connecting to the same bank of servers because the launcher isn't present. (Fixing the launcher would be needed to fix this).

2. Mouse issues. Everything works fine until you alt tab out of the game, or click outside of the game. When returning, you can no longer click on any item and keyboard input is ignored. There have been games in the past that have done this and there is normally tricks to fix this.

Other than these 2 items, the game client seems to be running in the menus flawlessly. Which gives me hope!

By the time I got to this point I needed some sleep, so I didn't try and create a character, etc. I'm thinking of trying that tonight to see if I can get in-game and check out the FPS / etc. to see how the game is.

I'm hoping that someone smarter than me can figure out the installer/launcher issue because it seems like this is needed for full functionality. I don't know if the devs are open to letting us know what they are using in the installer/launcher for this piece to assist in fixing that piece. *wink* *wink*

27 minutes ago, Kevlyn220 said:

When I choose to run the client exe directly it runs and allows me to login!

1. My characters that I created on Windows are missing! My guess is that the launcher is doing some connection magic or I'm not connecting to the same bank of servers because the launcher isn't present. (Fixing the launcher would be needed to fix this).

When you run the client directly it connect to the TEST server rather than the LIVE server. You could probably get around this with a command line parameter.

IhhQKY6.gif

23 hours ago, Jah said:

When you run the client directly it connect to the TEST server rather than the LIVE server. You could probably get around this with a command line parameter.

Thank You Jah!

I profiled the client run in Windows and found that the Live Launcher was calling the client with the " -ecosystem Live" parameter!

So! Armed with this information I ran the client with this parameter in Linux...

1. My characters are now there! The command line parameter was the issue here (Thanks again Jah! I can't believe I didn't notice the version information at the top stating TEST in all caps...).

2. I think I have fixed the mouse issue by selecting the option for fullscreen windows to automatically grab the mouse (The setting is in winecfg). I also did the virtual desktop option, but do not think that is needed (will verify that tonight). BUT when alt-tabbing out of the game, when you alt-tab back you must hit Esc twice for the window to grab the mouse, otherwise the mouse will work but when you move past the window the mouse will move to another screen, etc.

So, if you are keeping count, that fixed my 2 initial problems... So now for actually jumping in game.... and....

IT WORKED! (using DXVK)

Before I continue, I do want to say this game is Pre-Alpha at this point, I understand this, and I know we are far from an optimized version of the game. Don't think I'm complaining, and don't run to the developers based on this information saying they need to do x or y...  Just be happy about the outlook of playing this game on the OS of your choice! 🙂 Now, on to the rest!

The first load of the game took a little bit longer than normal (normal texture compilation for DXVK) but after this.. BOOM I'm in God's Reach. After this initial load I didn't seem to have any other texture compilation stutter as some other games do, it was nice and smooth!

As for FPS, I was running about 5-10 fps slower than what I get in Windows... The only exception to this was the fire pits... and let me tell you there are a lot of fire pits in the temple! When looking at the fire pits, especially with multiple fires on screen, FPS would drop to the teens. The fire pits on Windows drop the FPS down as well, just not this much. There must be some good magic in that fire 😉 

It appeared that all the particle effects, shadows, bloom, ambient occlusion, etc. was all working normally. Nothing was missing or felt off.

Now onto the world. I went out into the PvE areas (playing a lvl 15 Myrmidon) and was able to play a good 45 min with no issues. Everything was fluid, no stutters, good FPS, etc. I was able to enjoy the game on my OS of choice! I was happy.

One other area I saw very low frame rates was the Account Skill screen. When I was assigning my points, the screen went to a crawl. Not sure what all is happening on that screen but I was still able to assign my points, and since responsiveness isn't necessary on this screen it wasn't a big deal... Just something to note.

SO, does this mean everyone should just jump in???

Well, there is still the main launcher issue. So, for each client update I would have to boot to Windows to download the new client. I don't know if this will be the same launcher when the game launches, or if someone else can look at what is causing the launcher to crash. I had to work late so didn't really get much time other than the above to spend looking at this. Quickly looking tho, it does seem the launcher is opening a local port and then connecting to 127.0.0.1:*local port* for something. It's possible this is the "unimplemented" function in WINE.

My other thought, is that the current launcher puts the client in the "Download" folder... It may be possible to just find where the client is and just download the client directly? Like I said, I haven't looked into the launcher much but this would be a needed working piece for Linux users with no Windows install.

BUT the most important piece is... Yes, the client is running, and for pre-alpha, running well! As long as the developers don't put in something like EAC (Easy Anti-Cheat), etc. the future looks very promising! 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Great stuff on getting the game working under wine!

Meanwhile, I'm still stuck with the installer, as I don't currently have a backup windows machine.

On 8/20/2019 at 7:39 PM, Kevlyn220 said:

I also had problems trying to run the installer in WINE. I used winetricks to install vcrun2013 and a multitude of other items to try and get the installer to not crash. From what I can tell from the output, it seems to crash when it calls the function to download the content. I'm not sure which function they are using, as I'm not getting a lot out of the WINE output (but I'm only a novice at WINE debugging).

Could you list your wine version and any packages you installed using winetricks (and others) to get this far?

---

That being said, I think I got around as far as you did with install, when using wine only.

It starts downloading content, but almost immediately crashes, with an internal error alert:

UCpCcBJ.png

lWTsWbH.png

That is further than with steam's proton. The problem with using Steam+proton, is that it doesn't currently support logging proton output[1] on non-steam games[2], which makes it impossible to do any debugging (or at least with my novice wine skills that is).

---

Wine specs and installed packages:

* wine: 4.0.2 (stable)

* clean wine prefix made for crowfall using winetricks

winecfg:

packages:

* ucrtbase (not sure if this is needed, installed it per some probably unrelated instructions, and just forget to remove)

* vcruntime140 (not sure if needed: same as above)

winetricks:

packages:

* corefonts (before this, GUI installer didn't even start, but resulted in a seg fault, etc.)

* vcrun2015 (this appears to get me past visual studio 2013 install)

---

Installing corefonts, and getting past the first crash was a lucky one, as nothing in the wine logs seemed to be related to missing fonts. I had previously needed to install corefonts for another game, so tried installing it as hail mary, which fortunately worked.

Also, this part wasn't a problem when using proton.

---

It's interesting that in wine, installing vcrun2015 with winetricks got me past the installer crashing while installing visual studio 2013. Meanwhile the same didn't work in steam's proton. It's possible that I have just used wrong wineprefix in proton.

---

Note: It seems fixes have been made in proton after my previous post: in steam, using latest proton 4.11.3 starts the game installer as well. Still crashes at VS runtime installation though.

---

Sources:

[1] https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/2259

[2] https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/6046

Edited by mercor

• 9 months later...

Trying to get this game installed on Arch Linux using WINE 5.11. I have installed the game via the launcher with corefonts and vcrun2015. However, I can not launch the game via the launcher as others have stated. When I try to launch the client exe directly it starts to load and then crashes, looks like some missing DLL's possibly. I'm not familiar with wine debugging yet. Seeing as this thread is a few months old, has anyone else had any success lately?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I use LInux for work and Windows for gaming.  Maybe it's because I'm supporting Linux day in and day out, but at the end of the day, when I am gaming, I just want to install and play without dinking around with middleware to get stuff working.  If more games that I like to play supported Linux natively, I'd probably give it the 'ol college try, but as of now, I'm not enough of a Linux hobbyist to waste my time with it.  

Edited by firstworldpotato
Profanity Filter messed up my post.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Natethor,

I don't have one perhaps I should look into writing one though. I'm not familiar enough at the moment with how to do it. Let me know if you need help getting it going though. I had to make two different profiles--one for the game and one for the launcher to update.

• 1 month later...

6.4 appears to have broken the game on Linux. I been testing various arguments and wine versions with similar experiences across the board. It appears as though the launcher passes a token ID to the client now which prevents us from launching the client executable directly now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/crowfall/comments/ljhxxc/64_and_linux/

6.4 on LINUX RESOLVED!

If you are having problems with Crowfall post 6.4 please do the following:

1. Reinstall DotNet 4.5 or DotNet472 via Winetricks

2. Reinstall vcrun2010 via Winetricks

Edited by Padre_Adamo

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2021 at 4:40 PM, Padre_Adamo said:

6.4 appears to have broken the game on Linux. I been testing various arguments and wine versions with similar experiences across the board. It appears as though the launcher passes a token ID to the client now which prevents us from launching the client executable directly now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/crowfall/comments/ljhxxc/64_and_linux/

6.4 on LINUX RESOLVED!

If you are having problems with Crowfall post 6.4 please do the following:

1. Reinstall DotNet 4.5 or DotNet472 via Winetricks

2. Reinstall vcrun2010 via Winetricks

Works fine.

Thanks!