Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Computer on the way.

Coydog

To start off with, the Parts List.   Few notes, the Intel and WD drives as well as the PSU and GPU are from my old computer rig.    When buying, i5-6600k were scarce and needed to get a CPU for the build. so settled on the i5-6500. 

When building, turns out Motherboard was DOA so have to RMA it.

Pic of the motherboard (before being shipped for RMA)

2015-10-16%2016.52.17_zpsnwzdzni9.jpg

Front side with old system installed into the new case (old case was busted up)

2015-12-30%2016.15.05_zpsowdkhc1g.jpg

Backside cableling

2015-12-30%2016.18.14_zpselcjwjxv.jpg

Things to do:

Wait for replacement motherboard to arrive and install it w/ 16GB of RAM

Upgrades to happen:

Going to retire the HX650 and go with an EVGA G2 750W PSU

Holding off on upgrading GPU to see what Pascal (nVidia) and Polaris (AMD) bring to the table. 

Would eventually like to have custom water cooling loop.

Edited by Coydog

Nice, tight, and clean case! Good job  :)

Since there are so many factors that go into the part we get I'm curious when you were upgrading your CPU/Mobo you went with the i5 over the i7. Was it cost, noise, heat etc that lead you to your choice?

Very much a cost thing.   Also, since I don't do any content type creation stuff the i7 is lost on me with the HT stuff.  Games are just starting to take use of it. 

I agree to Keaggan, really clean case. Unfortunately my PSU's cables are too short for my case. (Fractal Design Define R4)

Is there any reason you go with two SSDs or wasnt there just not enough space on the first one for all games?

Is there any reason you go with two SSDs or wasnt there just not enough space on the first one for all games?

Sure is, my Intel 128GB SSD is from my current build.

Well, got the Motherboard back from Asus and it's actually working worse.   Before hand I'd get a RAM error message on the Q-Code, can't even get that now.  So I've now been waiting since end of November to have this thing up and running.  I bought one of their ROG MB's and felt the QC should have been up there, the fact I sent the board back and apparently wasn't truly tested to be working makes you wonder.    Not impressed with Asus quality and the premium they demand for said 'quality' right now.

And those wondering, I used brand new RAM and CPU. 

Well, got the Motherboard back from Asus and it's actually working worse.   Before hand I'd get a RAM error message on the Q-Code, can't even get that now.  So I've now been waiting since end of November to have this thing up and running.  I bought one of their ROG MB's and felt the QC should have been up there, the fact I sent the board back and apparently wasn't truly tested to be working makes you wonder.    Not impressed with Asus quality and the premium they demand for said 'quality' right now.

And those wondering, I used brand new RAM and CPU. 

Im getting ram issues with my x99 deluxe aswell, truly disappointing from asus which was supposed to be preminium. I dont want to deal with their stupid customer support and send my motherboard for weeks only to have it returned unfixed, i will try to get a replacement from the shop i bought MB, if i cant, well, than there is no other oiton. 

i have found MSI to be a better buy over asus recently

Know me and fear me. My embrace is for all and is patient but sure. The dead can always find you. My hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me.

694a6f04-03a1-4af3-8e11-ddd1baa87348.jpg

Finally got the thing to work.  Had to re-seat everything and then pop the RAM sticks in DIMM1 and DIMM3 (opposed to DIMM2 and DIMM4 per manual).  Cleared the CMOS and everything works now.

i have found MSI to be a better buy over asus recently

I had a Gigabyte P55 board that served me so well.   The MSI boards were to flashy for me.  I liked the Hero and the Gigabyte UD series. 

And right now waiting on an EVGA G2 650 PSU to arrive from the 'egg.   After MIR its setting me back $80

Dude, I just ordered that MB last night. Hopefully I don't run into any of your troubles. Good luck with the rest of the build.