Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NicholasLionRider

Factions? Do We Really Want Them?

Being an experienced MMO players (from ESO, to WoW, to Wizard101, ya, I'm one of THOSE guys, though I don't play anymore and I equally hate the carebears...) anyways, will factions really benefit Crowfall in any way? Factions I feel are put in merely to limit game play and cause irritation. In World of Warcraft, it isn't so bad, you have 2 factions and each has about 8 races, each faction equally has races that match classes. Want a druid? You can be a worgen or night elf for Alliance or Tauren/Troll for Horde. But in a game like ESO...it's a different story. You have 3 factions...with 3 races a piece...it get's extremely irritating and frustrating. If you want to sign up for an MMO, you might have a group of friends, but in what guild or group in an MMO do people want to ALL be the same race (in MMOs where race is a choice)? In ESO my friends and I were arguing over what faction we wanted to join because we all wanted different races. Sadly, from the looks of Crowfall, they seem to be diving off track and making one faction per race/class. Why on earth would they do that! I know I might be wrong but from the concepts and in game shots we've seen at this point, it seems that stuff like the Knight is part of the Crow faction and the deer part of the antler, etc. So what if my friends don't all want to be knights? Do they get placed in a different faction and we are all forced apart by flawed gameplay mechanics? Plus wouldn't these factions make really Overpowered groups and underpowered? An entire faction filled with the SAME class/race? It is just irritating from an MMO multiplayer standpoint. I don't want to swear allegiance to a faction, not play with my friends (possibly fight AGAINST them) and be forced into an area just because of the class I picked. What are your opinions?

Edited by tarzan525

tl;dr

Paragraphs are your friend.

We don't have enough information yet. We've heard the faction term tossed around and seen things that suggests factions, but factions do not have to mean horde vs alliance style.

Also this game will have a deep political game, which seems to suggest in-fighting is possible.

In other words, factions could still mean we can attack anyone, even those in the same faction. Factions do not necessarily mean class or race locked either. We just don't have enough information at this point.

Edited by lucius

tl;dr

We don't have enough information yet. We've heard the faction term tossed around and seen things that suggests factions, but factions do not have to mean horde vs alliance style.

Also this game will have a deep political game, which seems to suggest in-fighting is possible.

In other words, factions could still mean we can attack anyone, even those in the same faction. Factions do not necessarily mean class or race locked either. We just don't have enough information at this point.

this

I'm fine with factions as long as they are not hard lined. Lore purposes etc ya go ahead. But I don't want to see an artifical hard line of who I can kill or be killed by. Or work with or not work with.

no worries, we have strict recruitment processes

Not everyone is the same. I'd rather not see another Oran'thul. Also most pvp games fail because the pvpers don't have to care about who they kill. I am not looking to play another chaos pvp zerg fest. Pvpers should be the military that protects the PVErs who are the civilians that feed the war machine with products, food and resources. Militaries should fight against other militaries. Not wander the land like lawless barbarians in -every single- pvp game.

And let me say this. I am NOT a carebear, I just want better organized PVP than simple minded murder simulators.

I'd much rather have this for my pvp than what currently exists in the market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l33Y-3Q-7HE

Or the Zulus here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODM1RJe4FvQ

Or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCm19G0YmmM

Nation vs. Nation, Realm vs. Realm. These things inspire pride. No factions inspires zergs and not skill because everyone just masses together with the popular kids.

Sorry to say it but the pvp community has shown numerous times that all they will do is hunt down the sheep till they end up starving themselves. You need factions to inspire pride. All should be asking "Am I my brother's keeper?" and the only answer should be:

Yes

I want to play a pvp mmo where I can yell to those fighting next to me "Hold the Line!"

I want to play a pvp mmo where the PVErs, the so called carebears throw us a PARADE after our recent conquest!

Edited by amaziah aryeh

Ranger3.jpg

There'll be coded factions for sure. Whether they're hard factions or soft factions (restricting who you can kill), or if there's an "independant" faction mechanic is the question now. Personally I'm fine with factions. They are healthy for a growing playerbase and political sustainability. It'll be interesting to see whether they allow player characters to develop and change the hard coded factions (laws, rules, war, etc) like we see in other games.

Edited by taroskin

Crazy Talk co-co-co-gl

Guardians of Moonforest fangirl

I have never been a fan of factions. Oftentimes I respect more of my enemies than my own faction after playing a game for a while. There have been so many cases over the years where players feel like they can say or do whatever they want knowing that the consequences for their behavior are minimal because their own faction can't do anything about it for the most part. While it wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker for me, I really hope that we don't see them.

tl;dr

Paragraph=More than one sentence.

I understand everyone's appeal with factions giving sense to "pride" in groups, but that is what guilds are for. Factions are just guilds that the game makers put in place to accomplish THEIR story. I want to the ability to fight with my friends, under our own banner and own my own castles, not doing it with strangers under some weird banner for no reason other than "You spawned into the elf area, you now swear allegiance to the elf queen, go fight her enemies!"
  I just want to mention, I am not "against" factions, I merely think the amount they are seeming to put out is WAY too much. 2 Factions=Great, 3=Um...13! That is just insane! Factions do provide uniform but the arguments of "I want to lead" make no sense in a faction since they always make everyone the same pawns of some NPC leader. In a guild, you might have a chance at being a leader, and call out commands on team speak. When I am fighting for 1 of the 12 other factions, and I am fighting for no reason besides a story (which for real, who cares much about an MMO's story in a game like this based around war). Just makes no sense.

Edited by tarzan525