Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NicholasLionRider

Factions? Do We Really Want Them?

You know, I hate nationalism IRL.  It leads to people shouting "American exceptionalism" and cultural divide and conflict.  It's a bigger reason for terrorism than religion (no seriously, look up the root causes of terrorism).  It's an ugly, ugly mess in a global world.

That being said, I absolutely want to RP/PvP support for my adopted nation in this game.  Nationalism makes for great story and conflict and in a fictional setting, I eat that stuff up.

I just want it to be more complex than 1v1 Horde vs Alliance.  I want Thunder Bluff to have an ideological split with Orgrimmar and have that affect the game through player action.  I want alliances to be built and to fail, hopefully without them stagnating into the boring ceasefire that is EVE Online these days.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

It'd be neat to see them implement dynamic factions (that potentially change over time) post-launch.  Please figure out a compelling way to do that. :)

Edited by Tepid

In the Coleman/Koster video, they explicitly say the word "factions" when going over a list of bullet points for discussion, that and the tree of crests both seem to indicate hard coded factions will be in CF, unfortunately. Given all of the other intriguing aspects of CF's team composition, pvp loot mechanics, etc I'm willing to put up with that.

With that said, I do not want hard factions.

Edited by flex

b7xcsz.jpg

There are going to be factions of some sort, or at least it has been mentioned by the Devs. If you have to align with factions and it is molded after, let's say the Shadow Bane "Lore Charter" system, I can be fine with that. Because, basically weren't "Charters" kind of like factions? If they construct it in that sense, similar to restrictions that went into charters it could work quite nicely! As long as there is available intra-faction combat and seige I will be very pleased. Two to Three faction systems suck it.

You know, I hate nationalism IRL.  It leads to people shouting "American exceptionalism" and cultural divide and conflict.  It's a bigger reason for terrorism than religion (no seriously, look up the root causes of terrorism).  It's an ugly, ugly mess in a global world.

That being said, I absolutely want to RP/PvP support for my adopted nation in this game.  Nationalism makes for great story and conflict and in a fictional setting, I eat that stuff up.

I just want it to be more complex than 1v1 Horde vs Alliance.  I want Thunder Bluff to have an ideological split with Orgrimmar and have that affect the game through player action.  I want alliances to be built and to fail, hopefully without them stagnating into the boring ceasefire that is EVE Online these days.

Nationalism is great.  Multiculturalism is garbage.

DO I agree with imperialism and projecting that nationalism on others?  Obviously not.

Nationalism in and of itself, not cobbled together with any other ism, promotes inclusion and unification; facets of a distinct similar culture. 

Multiculturalism, and the practice of hyphenating sub groups and ethnicities is divisive and leads to self destructive, non judgmental impotent paralysis.

Global conflict (terrorism and other ills) usually occurs when an imperialistic power either decides to intervene, intercede or interject itself into a situation it doesn't belong. 

That said, I like your game ideas!

For me factions are a must.

There is nothing better than being well known and feared by the enemy faction :D.

sure there is...

being feared by the entire server...including some of your own Guildies

amirite?

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

I'd rather have my "guild" be my faction, but if they could add in some sort of Lore-based soft factions guilds could associate with, that might be kind of cool.

Edited by soulein

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

I'd rather have my "guild" be my faction, but if the could add in some sort of Lore-based soft factions guilds could associate with, that might be kind of cool.

this....

can i still kill folks in my artificial faction? in my guild if i so desire? in my own group?

until we know more...i hate guessing....

FIQw0eP.png

I'd rather have my "guild" be my faction, but if the could add in some sort of Lore-based soft factions guilds could associate with, that might be kind of cool.

what gives me hope is that nothing here seems knee jerk.

I loved the concept of the lore sets in Shadowbane; I hated the execution of it.

I don't want to see a guild with every class based on racial fit; you end up with a server full of whatever prototype is optimal for each class.  I would love to see guilds have to select a faction or charter and abide by it.

If the game is balanced, it forces choices and assigns consequence to those choices.

I like choices.

For me factions are a must.

There is nothing better than being well known and feared by the enemy faction :D.

Yes there is. I would rather be well known and feared by everyone not in my guild/alliance than just who happens to be on a different faction.

Edited by noobzilla_youtube

no Coded factions please...

let the Players do it, imo

Questions?

see my sig quote...

nuff said?

+2

Coded forced factions reduce PvP opportunities and prevent you from PKing those you don't like. The only factions in the game should be those decided on by the players in game.

+2

Coded forced factions reduce PvP opportunities and prevent you from PKing those you don't like. The only factions in the game should be those decided on by the players in game.

not necessarily.

Factions may be guild charter based and simply limit the race/class combinations that you may allow in your guild.

not necessarily.

Factions may be guild charter based and simply limit the race/class combinations that you may allow in your guild.

I prefer ARAC as it allows more player freedom for those who choose, but it would not be the end of the world if there were something like SB vindication server where you had the guild charters like that. Either way, more code that restricts player freedom = less fun for me.

I prefer ARAC as it allows more player freedom for those who choose, but it would not be the end of the world if there were something like SB vindication server where you had the guild charters like that. Either way, more code that restricts player freedom = less fun for me.

/respect that

would still like to see diversity.

this....

can i still kill folks in my artificial faction? in my guild if i so desire? in my own group?

until we know more...i hate guessing....

hogwash

you like:

guessing

tweaking

stirring the pot

random hyperlinks

bull****

you like:

guessing - not really...but educated hypotheticals can be fun

tweaking - have to define that better for me to cop to it or not

stirring the pot - guilty as charged

random hyperlinks - they are NEVER *random*...always a method to my Madness....

hope that clarifies for the Record....

FIQw0eP.png

Nationalism is great.  Multiculturalism is garbage.

DO I agree with imperialism and projecting that nationalism on others?  Obviously not.

Nationalism in and of itself, not cobbled together with any other ism, promotes inclusion and unification; facets of a distinct similar culture. 

Multiculturalism, and the practice of hyphenating sub groups and ethnicities is divisive and leads to self destructive, non judgmental impotent paralysis.

Global conflict (terrorism and other ills) usually occurs when an imperialistic power either decides to intervene, intercede or interject itself into a situation it doesn't belong. 

That said, I like your game ideas!

I prefer your interpretation of nationalism more than mine, and you're absolutely right about imperialistic attitudes like sticking our nose where it doesn't belong leading to the backlash.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com