Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NicholasLionRider

Factions? Do We Really Want Them?

In the Coleman/Koster video, they explicitly say the word "factions" when going over a list of bullet points for discussion, that and the tree of crests both seem to indicate hard coded factions will be in CF, unfortunately. Given all of the other intriguing aspects of CF's team composition, pvp loot mechanics, etc I'm willing to put up with that.

With that said, I do not want hard factions.

I noticed that as well and had the same reaction upon hearing the word "faction".  My preference would be to have starting NPC factions and then allow players to supplant those factions with their own player created alliances.  That could be a single mega guild, or a group of smaller guilds gathered under a single banner (give us nation and guild crests ala Shadowbane). 

Player banners need to be flying on the Cryptic Tree!

And to be accommodating to noobs fresh into the game, one or two of those NPCs factions could be perma-seated in their territory and accept all applicants to provide a stable entry into the game, and maybe even function as a tutorial of sorts.

rSHxVEY.gif

ummm...yeah Imperialism does cause a lot of problems, no doubt....

but NEVER underestimate what intolerant cultures can and have done to damage the rest of humanity, via wars and terrorism

you can't have diversity in anything without tolerance for those "others" ways within common and agreed on boundaries...

when some invisible supernatural entity communicates telepathically to it's spokesperson that all heathens/infidels/those people over there are "not human" or "unclean" or the like....nothing good ever comes of it....

just sayin'...

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

I don't think we will have locked factions. If they ever refereed to factions, id assume they would be player created ones, like guilds and guild alliances. 

I am kinda confused with everyone who is supporting factions, all the points being made are relevant to guilds, not factions. No one has ever been afraid of a "faction". When I play WoW I am not like "Oh no the Horde! They will kill us all!" It's more of, the game said they're my enemies, I want to beat them, but both factions are equal, most games make factions equal, so there wouldn't be any fear, conquest or glory from factions. Factions are merely guild systems for people who don't have guilds.
  To me, crowfall wouldn't benefit at all from factions, I think it would do quite the opposite. In a "game of thrones" game, (it's what it is+shadowbane) what point would factions have to me personally? I don't want to play a game if the alliances, broken treaties and everything are server wide choices or scripted. If I am in the deer faction I don't want a voting screen to pop up asking me if I want to trust the Crows, I put no and it says "Sorry but 78% of your faction said yes, Glory and Gold!" Or it just tries to force a story and add MMO elements. I'd rather it be my story, with my friends, in our guild. I don't care about "Hero" or "Kronos" I want the banner of the LionRider and the ability to decide with my group and not some random strangers who just wound up on the same server as me and picked the same race.

Edited by tarzan525

I am kinda confused with everyone who is supporting factions, all the points being made are relevant to guilds, not factions. No one has ever been afraid of a "faction". When I play WoW I am not like "Oh no the Horde! They will kill us all!" It's more of, the game said they're my enemies, I want to beat them, but both factions are equal, most games make factions equal, so there wouldn't be any fear, conquest or glory from factions. Factions are merely guild systems for people who don't have guilds.

To me, crowfall wouldn't benefit at all from factions, I think it would do quite the opposite. In a "game of thrones" game, (it's what it is+shadowbane) what point would factions have to me personally? I don't want to play a game if the alliances, broken treaties and everything are server wide choices or scripted. If I am in the deer faction I don't want a voting screen to pop up asking me if I want to trust the Crows, I put no and it says "Sorry but 78% of your faction said yes, Glory and Gold!" Or it just tries to force a story and add MMO elements. I'd rather it be my story, with my friends, in our guild. I don't care about "Hero" or "Kronos" I want the banner of the LionRider and the ability to decide with my group and not some random strangers who just wound up on the same server as me and picked the same race.

The reason why it doesn't work in themeparks like WoW is because there are no major things for said factions to do.

But if you add in a true territory control game ala RISK you change things. No mmo has yet to do that but it seems like this one will. Factions need RTS gameplay where they can take over a map piece by piece.

Ranger3.jpg

In Shadowbane in most cases server warfare boiled down to 2'major alliances fighting each other for server dominance. So factions could actually preserve diversity in PvP if implemented right.

I think it's better to try and fight that with more organic means rather than fitting players into pre-determined NPC factions.

The long term course of sandbox MMOs all seem to converge into 2-3 superalliances fighting each other (SB, EVE, DF) after sufficient time passes, yes. But I'd greatly prefer some sort of mechanics that could make competition and resistance more feasible.

Also, I'd argue that skill-based combat reduces that problem to some extent. If a force with superior numbers ALWAYS wins, like in SB, then it becomes a big problem. But if a good force can take out enemies with double or even triple the numbers, even in the endgame with finished progression and top gear, then zergs have a bit less weight to throw around. It's only one piece of the equation though of course, since no one is going to be able to take out a force greater than 5x in size.

I would like if factions were player made or controlled. But you don't have to follow the rules and you can always have bandits and factionless. Say you choose a faction but because they are allied with someone doesn't stop you from attacking them. You just start losing any standing with your faction and maybe even become hunted by them.

Let you build your own reputation is what I would like to see the most.

High Fives and Good Times

Why not more complex system like they have for runes character building, with ARAC you get -stats to each member, but say you lock your guild / faction to certain race/class combos you get + perks. ( "Advantages" and "Disadvantages" system )

Player choice and Freedom to make it more interesting is what the game should be about more fun and dynamics there.

Edited by MikeyDee99

Why not more complex system like they have for runes character building, with ARAC you get -stats to each member, but say you lock your guild / faction to certain race/class combos you get + perks. ( "Advantages" and "Disadvantages" system )

Player choice and Freedom to make it more interesting is what the game should be about more fun and dynamics there.

If the game had two different server webs instead of just the one confirmed right now, then I would be down for one being pure ARAC and the other being a Loreplay-restricted server.  However, it doesn't, at least not currently.  Perhaps in the future this may become a thing, but as it stands, it's gonna be one or the other. 

It's a little early to discuss factions in relation to this game. We know too little.

I did like the king/arch duke /duke / count / baron screenshot though.

Player-build pyramid structures, if they they have upward mobility and politics related to controlled territory could be fascinating to be a part of.

Such a structure could be self-regulating to a degree. If someone has too many vassals, then perhaps the bonuses are too diluted and smart players would flock to their enemies in order to take a higher position, closer to the throne. 

I'm picturing something Westeros-inspired, but how far we all are off the mark, only time will tell.

Acheron's Call had a pyramid structure, with taxes of different resources going up and down the ladder. Acheron's Call had bonuses in place that made every monarch really REALLY care about his subjects. He was like a sugar daddy, running around bailing people out of ganks, making sure they're well fed, equipped etc. That could be a strong motivation for people to band into "nations" - player founded, player controlled.

Greatswords for Frostweavers 2015! For great justice! And swords.

P.S. I like swords.

Not everyone is the same. I'd rather not see another Oran'thul. Also most pvp games fail because the pvpers don't have to care about who they kill. I am not looking to play another chaos pvp zerg fest. Pvpers should be the military that protects the PVErs who are the civilians that feed the war machine with products, food and resources. Militaries should fight against other militaries. Not wander the land like lawless barbarians in -every single- pvp game.

And let me say this. I am NOT a carebear, I just want better organized PVP than simple minded murder simulators.

I'd much rather have this for my pvp than what currently exists in the market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l33Y-3Q-7HE

Or the Zulus here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODM1RJe4FvQ

Or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCm19G0YmmM

Nation vs. Nation, Realm vs. Realm. These things inspire pride. No factions inspires zergs and not skill because everyone just masses together with the popular kids.

Sorry to say it but the pvp community has shown numerous times that all they will do is hunt down the sheep till they end up starving themselves. You need factions to inspire pride. All should be asking "Am I my brother's keeper?" and the only answer should be:

Yes

I want to play a pvp mmo where I can yell to those fighting next to me "Hold the Line!"

I want to play a pvp mmo where the PVErs, the so called carebears throw us a PARADE after our recent conquest!

Make your own nation with your own laws

It's a little early to discuss factions in relation to this game. We know too little.

I did like the king/arch duke /duke / count / baron screenshot though.

I agree with this since we really have no clue on what is going on just yet.  It's still early in development and obvious not enough information released yet about the game but I have faith they will make the right choice to best suit their game.
Edited by Methios