Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NicholasLionRider

Factions? Do We Really Want Them?

godshand, on 23 Jan 2015 - 9:57 PM, said:

Nationalism is great.  Multiculturalism is garbage.

My view is the opposite. Multiculturalism is great, Nationalism is 1920s

I was a huge DAoC fan and factions worked well for that game.  That was because the devs designed 3 different worlds for each realm.  Realm vs. Realm has it's place, but with the multi-worlds system Crowfall is going for, I think a more EVE-online, all-play-all system is best.  Let players determine whom if anyone they want to ally with, and let the friendly-fire commence!   If there's an asshat in your guild, you gank him or her, take all their stuff, and /gkick Asshat.  

TWITCH.TV/PURPLEPOLOPLAYER

TWITTER @PURPLEPOLOPLAYA

Realms like DaoC? yes please.

Creates realmpride and incentive to PvP

Guild vs Guild is boring as hell.

I could not disagree more.

Pride over something as arbitrary as what race you picked or what server name you clicked on is completely pointless. Guild and alliance pride, and grudges against other guilds and alliances, is what allows for true warfare, politics, and fun.

I could not disagree more.

Pride over something as arbitrary as what race you picked or what server name you clicked on is completely pointless. Guild and alliance pride, and grudges against other guilds and alliances, is what allows for true warfare, politics, and fun.

Completely agree. I also like the idea that even just one member of an alliance can cause a war because they decided to betray. This sort of intrigue will add a lot more longevity to the game than a binary system of good vs evil. There should be thousands of shades of gray in between.

The 'leaders' of the groups will have to determine how to proceed. Does Farmer Joe killing and stealing supplies mean war between both groups? Can Farmer Joe's group kick him out and pay for what was stolen to keep the peace?

These issues should be created and solved by player ingenuity (and sometimes stupidity), and not hard coded binary systems forced onto players.

Edited by Teekey

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Your primary source of Crowfall news, guides, and information.

Realms like DaoC? yes please.

Creates realmpride and incentive to PvP

Guild vs Guild is boring as hell.

Disagree completely. There is not a lot of pride I can take in being part of a realm dominating others. Sure it's nice, but chances are I don't know half the people who are contributing to the realm dominance. Half of those I do know I probably want to PK anyway because they looked at me wrong.

Guild vs. Guild is the way to go. It allows for community driven "realms" instead of programmed ones.

Edited by affy

Here is how I would like to see it work.

1.  No hard coded factions or nations

2.  The basic type of nation or guild has no restrictions as to who can join

3.  However, players can also create a wide variety of nations and guilds based on function (e.g. warrior legion, assassin's guild, merchant's guild) or status (e.g. all Elf, Human, Orc); these "special" nation and guild templates will provide certain benefits AND disadvantages.

People can still war against anyone they want at any time.  They can also have an all-races-all-classes nation or guild.  However they can also choose to specialize.

You should have MANY MANY factions.  2-3 isn't enough, 10-15 is more like it.  Guilds within the same faction should still be able to fight each other of course, but many functionally different factions with different strengths and weaknesses make for more varied pvp encounters and should be encouraged.

X88mIYV.jpg

I am liking some of the recommendations. I believe Crowfall should strive to allow players to determine the faction outcome more than the creators. In a game they are building, they are talking about breaking away from the standard MMO format and aiming for large scale battles, but factions will just get in the way.

These are a few things I think we should do with factions:
1. Ability to break away freely. (I don't want to be in the crow faction, don't force me to fight for them)
2. Open PvP (able to attack anyone, including betraying your own faction members)
3. Limit NPC factions (someone mentioned this earlier, only allow them for low levels to get used to the game, then have them try to face real ones)
4. Guilds=Factions. If you don't want to be in a faction they put fourth (Hero, Cronos, etc.) you breakaway and can craft your own team and banner and have your guild become the faction you fight for. Even simple things like a guild banner creator that allows several symbols, designs and colors

5. Privately owned land. If a guild controls a region (say a castle) in that region, the leader (King) can dictate several rules or laws. Similar to the fealty concept we've already seen, just expanded.

Crowfall is looking to be a great game but I say, if you are going to go off the normal format, go all out with risks. In a game of alliances, war and conquest that I am promised, make sure I get freedom to do those things as I please and not do it for the sake of ArtCraft's story. Story means nothing in a game of war and although it's a nice addition, I'd rather make history than read it. Crowfall should be equally a game of life simulation as it is a traditional MMORPG. Have it so the player can dictate what faction he joins if any, have the players make their own guilds with banners and castles of their own to defend and fight for and make it so individual players can equally just live in corners of the world maps in small farms and be simple crafters and merchants, selling product to other players. A game like this should blossom into it's own economy and culture, not be forced into a world full of NPCs with a slightly new battle concept, if we are going for a next age level of MMOs (since the rate they are going now, MMOs will be dead by the end of the decade), go all out and make a solid game with a lasting impression on the players. Faction pride can be a good thing, but you should have no "pride" or sense of nationalism if you are merely fighting for the sake of someone else's story.

Edited by tarzan525

RvR is boring as hell.

See what I did?

to me i came to SB from DAoC...

at first the whole three way RvR seemed like a pretty decent idea...until it got figured out...

the MIdgard facvtion was consolidated in the Myth Alliance on our server, and we easily held off both the other factions combined and did whatever we wanted, this got boring quickly...

luckily , before it got stale...i left for SB

so, no to the whole RvR things...or Coded Factions as the definitive mechanism...

ihave hope that what they have shown us so far of "factions" may be more like the Lore Charters were...with the "King" as the head of that charter/faction

or perhaps the Banners are tied to geography...

i think i could live with either of those as another Layer, we won't knowenough until they tell us more, but i'm stating it for the Record in hopes that the Powers that Be take heed and hear our Prayers...

because the Crow is a cruel birdy

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

That's the guilds we should get rid of. I totally say yes to Nation/Faction directed by an eligible war council and command and NO to guilds.

why no guilds?

I have no pride in a faction that I have no control over, and is essentially meaningless. I have pride in my guild that ive helped run and build over the last decade.

X6RBqg7.gif