Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jihan

The new Crowbox

AIR240_BLK_01.png

Built my new Skylake PC over the holidays - booted up first try and I'm very pleased with the build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CCpWgs

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/brM7sJ

Build notes:

* The Air 240 micro-ATX (or ITX) case was a joy to build in. This case has two separate compartments: Hard drives and PSU go on the right side of the case where they're out of the way of the main airflow, while the motherboard and attached components go in the main high-airflow section on the left. It's a completely toolless design and I would highly recommend it to experienced builders or newbies equally.

* Just two caveats on the case: If you want to go with air cooling you're limited on the height of your CPU cooler; and there's no external 5.25" bay for an optical drive. I didn't care about the latter (installed Win10 off of USB) and it was easy enough to find a good cooler that fit the available dimensions.

* I cannibalized the 750Ti and some hard drives out of my old system to complete the build - waiting for the Pascal release later this year for a new video card. With iGPU Multi Monitor mode on the Asrock mobo, I can dedicate the 750 to my primary monitor and run the second one off of the Intel integrated graphics, and the 750 handles 1080p just fine for now.

* I did not get the more expensive "K" model processor with unlocked overclocking multipliers, since it was discovered that you can overclock the non-K model Skylakes by modifying the base clock. See here for details.

* The M2 SSD sockets directly into the motherboard and gets a 32Gbps transfer rate, vs 6Gbps for SATA3. The mobo has 4 lanes of PCIe built in to support the M2 slot, so this does not cost me any of the CPU PCIe lanes needed for the video card(s).

* I haven't managed to get CPU temp any higher than 40C with just the standard case fans, so I don't see any need to replace them.

* With that said, I do have one Western Digital platter drive in the uncooled section and it's running surprisingly warm. It might just be that particular disk (it's pretty old), but you might want to consider an all-SSD build for this case.

Edited by Jihan

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Have been interested in a case like this myself, but no reason to switch the case of my current rig. I definitely keep an eye on this when usb 3.1 is common.

Edited by Canth

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

I just upgraded to a GTX 1060 and had to rebuild in a new case - not because the card was too long, but because it was too wide. There wasn't enough headroom between the motherboard and the clear panel to support a card which was 5.5" wide instead of the standard 4.25" card width.

I switched to the Thermaltake Core V21, which is another cube case but one which orients the motherboard horizontally, removing all of the headroom problems that the Air 240 has with wide video cards or tall CPU coolers.

main.jpg

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

There are larger versions- Core X5 supports full ATX, and Core X9 supports E-ATX.

I'm finding I really like the cube form factor. I probably won't be building in a skinny tower again.

Tully

A 1080 will fit with lots of room to spare- this thing has lots of headroom.

Airflow is also excellent. Moving the PSU and drives to a separate compartment means nothing in the way of the air across your Mobo and video card.

Case comes with a front fan only, add exhaust fan(s) as needed.

If you want to get really crazy, the case is built to be stackable so you could move e.g. water pumps and reservoir to a second case underneath the first.

Tully

A 1080 will fit with lots of room to spare- this thing has lots of headroom.

Airflow is also excellent. Moving the PSU and drives to a separate compartment means nothing in the way of the air across your Mobo and video card.

Case comes with a front fan only, add exhaust fan(s) as needed.

If you want to get really crazy, the case is built to be stackable so you could move e.g. water pumps and reservoir to a second case underneath the first.

This is all very nice. Being able to lay the motherboard horizontal is such an amazing idea. Now I just have to figure out if I want to build one myself, as it seems ibuypower and cyberpower are really stingy with the parts they let you choose from.