Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FelledFlames

Raids against the 12 Gods

After reading all the recent articles about the Gods, I find them to be incredibly interesting.  I was thinking that one thing that could fit later on as content after release would be to create instanced raids that you can travel to in addition to the campaign worlds and fight a constant fight again each of the Gods.  Maybe people would rally to try to figure out how to take one of them down.  

It seems like a waste to not work in all of the cool mechanics that could be added based on the information we have about how Khronos can get into your head or that Maeve can't be defeated by any of the others in single combat.  I wonder what kind of build you would need to be able to tank against that!  Anyway, I was curious to get some opinions from others on the officials on what you think about this idea.  I think it would add some much needed end game PvE content, which looking over this game, it seems to be lacking.

a62683edbfc09d0373cb7494e23ef3cd3a056da3

I'm not trying to be a hooligan but the main reason this game is lacking PvE content is because it is a PvP focused game. Your idea is an ok one for a normal theme park style MMO, but CF is looking to not be that. So as the game is right now, and hopefully forever, this idea isn't even really a consideration for ACE

I think something like that would be great for a second, completely separate game built long after Crowfall is released and if ACE has the time or interest to make a smaller PVE game. This isn't for Crowfall though, completely different sub genre.

Edited by arawulf

I think it would add some much needed end game PvE content, which looking over this game, it seems to be lacking.

Let's take a second to define our terms. By "content" I assume you mean stuff the devs build and put into game for players to do. Bosses to kill, etc. What you're describing is a feature that is extremely common in MMO's, most popularized by WoW or Everquest. The developer makes stuff, the players do the stuff. The players then wait for the developers to make more stuff, which the players again will do (usually within a week or so). Once players are done with that stuff, they either wait or jump over to another game built exactly the same way. In fact, over the past 10 years nearly the entire genre fell into this mode. I'm not suggesting that this model is bad or wrong, but I am suggesting that this cycle already exists in countless MMOs and I'm, quite frankly, done with it.

Crowfall's design doesn't need the type of "content" you're describing. The developers are building systems, not content. The campaigns, economy, political and social content will all be 100% players. If the systems are built correctly, players will be spending so much time fighting for control, influence and wealth they won't give a rip about some pixelated loot pinana. They'll be spending too much time trying to figure out how to infiltrate and take over Guild X, how to more efficiently gear up their faction, how to best scout out that next point of interest and ultimately, how to crush their rivals.

The endgame content cycle has it's place in the genre, but not in Crowfall.

Edited by arawulf

.  I think it would add some much needed end game PvE content, which looking over this game, it seems to be lacking.

Yeah pretty sure the lack of instanced/Raid PvE content is by design. Not sure how can have followed this game to this point and think PvE raids is what it needs.

Your logic that "it is a waste not to" is completely misled. It is a massive waste TO create this. Something like this requires complicated balancing (PvE and PvP balance are very different). MASSIVE optimization, a completely new design philosophy, and a reserved space on servers that should be going to more/bigger campaigns.

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?

Not a raid per se, as that would more than likely require instancing. They could do something along the lines of FC events, or even R8 mobs as done in ShadowBane. This of coures would not include "FC Gear", but have some other reward.

Just something to keep your hopes up a bit felled. I remember around when campaigns were first being introduced one of the examples of the objectives in game would be to summon a creature (a god maybe) to destroy your enemies. But that was so early in the game development that it doesn't hold any real credit but it has been thought about.

Raids are tedious chores to keep people occupied after content ran dry. This game is about contantly changing emergent PvP gameplay, not wasting time by doing the same static instances (yuck!) again and again.

Ya I don't think there needs to be any raids. However, it would be cool in the infect that if you have gained enough faith (let's say by building temples and praying to the god) that they can manifest themselves within the world. Therefore, causing major obstacles for the other teams. Thus, you could get into mechanics like the desecration of temples in order to stymie the manifestation of a god.

I find it hard to complain about having more options for ways to play with my character or to allow for interesting experiences and mechanic opportunities. While I don't think raids are necessary, I have had some great memories and experiences in dungeons and raiding. Still though, in a PvP and Survival game, closed or instanced scripted scenarios might not be a great fit.

I find it hard to complain about having more options for ways to play with my character or to allow for interesting experiences and mechanic opportunities.

The problem with such features is that ACE already has a goal, but only a short time and a small team. Wasting resources on content that's out of the game's scope and only a small slice of the playerbase would enjoy is simply a bad idea. Raids require a lot of work because they are hard to design and balance properly. If it was easy Blizzard would poop out dozens of raids with every expansion.

We can't afford having one of the god killed, as they are part of the balance.

But we could salvage the idea to have something similar in "normal" campaigns:

• Craft an altar to a god (The big, building sized, not your little wood statue, of course...)
  • Make a nice offering following the god preferences (easy to figure since they'll all have backstory and specialty)
  • The god is pleased and send an avatar of himself, for a limited time, to annoy the ennemies.

That avatar shouldn't be that strong, but something you would invoke to taunt your enemy or send a message: "See how strong we already are".

Making these minutes/hours-scaled event, in campaigns that are weeks-scaled, wouldn't take players too far from the pvp, even if the ones with the avatar don't use the opportunity to attack.

And that would be a nice opportunity for big scaled badass visual effects. And showing some god powers.

But now we come to the question: should the gods be visible or not. (Not meaning their bodies; but do we want proofs that they are gods, or do we rely only on faith.)

The problem with such features is that ACE already has a goal, but only a short time and a small team. Wasting resources on content that's out of the game's scope and only a small slice of the playerbase would enjoy is simply a bad idea. Raids require a lot of work because they are hard to design and balance properly. If it was easy Blizzard would poop out dozens of raids with every expansion.

haha true, but I would argue that Blizzard pretty much poops out everything they do...  :P

We can't afford having one of the god killed, as they are part of the balance.

I don't know about that, I mean can a mortal really kill a god? (Well immortal but you are still the same as any mortal really right?) So they can easily put it that only another god can kill a god from what we know so far. But crows might be able to push back a god. It could be like I giant world boss that you need siege to defeat. At the same time fighting off a invading force of other players. That would be so dope. Or some kinda way you can get 2 gods up at once for a epic god v god battle?! *jizzed in my pants*

Edited by silhaku

Beyond a simple game mechanic and design stand point, I disagree with this in terms of the story. Part of why I can never get back into WoW lore, is because I punched Archimond in the face and won, when last time the combined alliance and horde could barely scratch him. There is a good video made by Noah Antwiler entitled "If You Stat It, They Will Kill It". He covers the subject far better than I. But the basic point is that the moment you put something in the game, someone will find a way to kill it. And instantly all of that god like awe it inspires just vanish. Leaving nothing but just another mob for us to kill.

Lf6MJUL.png

Meryk - Member

Beyond a simple game mechanic and design stand point, I disagree with this in terms of the story. Part of why I can never get back into WoW lore, is because I punched Archimond in the face and won, when last time the combined alliance and horde could barely scratch him. There is a good video made by Noah Antwiler entitled "If You Stat It, They Will Kill It". He covers the subject far better than I. But the basic point is that the moment you put something in the game, someone will find a way to kill it. And instantly all of that god like awe it inspires just vanish. Leaving nothing but just another mob for us to kill.

I see your point, but it just seems like a waste to come up with all these epic gods not put them in use. But even in the lore it says the gods use the crows to fight for them and won't fight themselves. So what kind of gameplay mechanic could the gods have you think. Are they just there for lore and possibly for GM events?