Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Archetype Focus: The Ranger - Official discussion thread

The Ranger's powers are still like every other power in Crowfall, which means they do fun and cool things like Suppress, Snare, etc because that is what the power does. We didn't want to give her one "shoot arrow" power and let the ammo decide. (It would mean things like: Always needing a few of each type of arrow plus a UI mechanic to quickly swap them between shots so you could freeze, bleed, suppress, etc.)

Our current plan is to use them to overload the default damage type and give the Ranger more options on the types of damage they can do. Ie fire arrows do fire damage which is great against a field of plate users, or crushing points are good against a field of leather users.

Oh.. I see. Welp it was fun while it lasted :)

March can't come soon enough

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

I am excited for the Ranger but I still feel a bit worried about the overall progress the game is making. It worries me that the Ranger will potentially be the only new class added for Siege testing. If Crowfall is still expected to release this year at this rate it seems a rather lofty goal to get more all the classes in that are slated for release. I truly hope that we see more Archetype focuses sooner rather then later especially for testing purposes.

Great we got ammunition.  Now I wonder what role ammunition will have, and how strong an influence it will have on each.  Economic tax?  Reload cooldowns?

Archetype looks great.  But I do heavily dislike the current iteration of the confessor, a ranged character, thanks to the range, the stuns, the dash, and the damage so I am scared about what kind of pain the Ranger will bring.  Hopefully this frustration of mine against ranged characters will be short lived.  Oh client side controller, make haste.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

I am excited for the Ranger but I still feel a bit worried about the overall progress the game is making. It worries me that the Ranger will potentially be the only new class added for Siege testing. If Crowfall is still expected to release this year at this rate it seems a rather lofty goal to get more all the classes in that are slated for release. I truly hope that we see more Archetype focuses sooner rather then later especially for testing purposes.

I believe Blair said somewhere that some archetypes were mixes between two other archetypes, his example being that the Templar was a mix between the Knight and the Confessor (If someone could find where he said this, that'd be great). So they just have to add in the "Base" Archetypes then the rest come easy. But that only goes for powers. I have no idea how hard it is to render and animate, so that could be what takes forever.

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

Ya I have been thinking the same thing! I was really hoping that Ranger would still be scheduled for February and released pre siege perilous. Yet, I have to remind myself that they are making new systems for the ranger that will most likely be used for other archetypes. So I am hoping that since magic, melee, and soon ranged weapon systems are in that the production of the other archetypes will go a bit faster (assuming that they have made their systems to transcend archetypes) . 

Also, remember that the models for the frost elves, dwarfs, and fae have already been made and were shown in the kick starter video. So really, the only race models that need to be made is the minotaur and elkens.  However, it is looking more likely that they wont hit their December release.

You will.  and we'll also have a Discipline to specialize in it.

Todd

Will you beable to make poison arrows?

What about they type of arrow. Wood, Steel, ect?

Nevermind I seen what you said about this. 

Edited by mulgirtab

I don't think the ammo system is a big deal and I could have seen ace going either way on it ammo or no ammo.  I do wonder what else they have in store though... will they perhaps have magic using classes that require reagents to cast their spells?

So. Much. This.

If you're going to impose taxes, make it apply to all, always hated how magic classes were "exempt" from ammunition. Also, are there carrying limits, like weight or how many you can carry ? Because of how resource intensive this game is appearing to be, will the arrows take up inventory space? If so, this ammunition thing is really going to hurt the class a lot, especially compared to magic classes. Unless the ranger does insanely better than casters in dps (who are already looking really scary as it is), then this may be a big issue.

It also begs the question: does this inherently confirm that range is better than melee? With range consuming ammo, that means that they'll need to do more damage to make it worth the production cost. And ACE stated that the access to melee is in case of the emergency if they run out of ammo, the inference being "as a last resort." Meaning that range is already inherently preferable to melee, with melee as a cheap, and negligible source of damage.

Great we got ammunition.  Now I wonder what role ammunition will have, and how strong an influence it will have on each.  Economic tax?  Reload cooldowns?

Archetype looks great.  But I do heavily dislike the current iteration of the confessor, a ranged character, thanks to the range, the stuns, the dash, and the damage so I am scared about what kind of pain the Ranger will bring.  Hopefully this frustration of mine against ranged characters will be short lived.  Oh client side controller, make haste.

So. Much. This.

That's another thing...they have stealth, they have traps, they have melee, they have range...seriously, this archetype really does everything. Which is also another big red flag: what can the Stalker do? If ammunition is already a big deal (and it will be, or they wouldn't make this kind of standalone announcement, don't even pretend that it won't an issue until you run out of ammo in a firefight), and they'll need melee, what can the Stalker possibly offer in gameplay to set it apart from the ranger? Frankly there are only so many things you can do with a bow.

Also, the Ranger has been touted as the premier pet archetype as well, from all the promotions and reveals on pets, from the artwork, etc...have we forgotten about the wolf on the homepage? Where's the mention?

(I mean, I SUPPOSE it is possible that the wolf just happened to wander onto the scene. The it could have been drawn to the sounds of chaos and bloodshed, without any regard to its own well being or safety, unlike most forest animals (that wolf could be in a commercial for the US Marines, lol)

Don't get me wrong, I dislike pet mechanics in most games (conceptually, it's a great idea for a class, fulfilling the fantasy of taming and fighting wild beasts as a master of the wild, but in gameplay it has always come off as weak, gimmicky, or overpowered), but was surprised to not see it here, listed along with the rest of the rangers (somewhat excessive) skills and specialties.

Edited by RKNM

Also, remember that the models for the frost elves, dwarfs, and fae have already been made and were shown in the kick starter video. So really, the only race models that need to be made is the minotaur and elkens.  However, it is looking more likely that they wont hit their December release.

Don't underestimate them... They've done so much in the last few months, I have no doubts that they will have almost everything done by December. 

This was a pretty weak reveal compared to the Champion and most of the other Archetypes as well.

No screenies of the powers or power bar, no comment on the special abilities "C" key, what does the right and left click do? Any instant abilities?

Dare I say it?

Seems like she is being treated like the Red Headed Step-Child already.

I was concerned about you guys rushing this. Still am. If you tack on a useless pet to this archetype I'm going to grill it over an open fire and eat it.

Like the ammo though. 

Well, they've done mini-"teasers" like this before, revealing the model of the archetype or mob, before going in depth with the description and powers overview. Erring on the side of caution here.

Totally feel the same way about the pet though....

Don't underestimate them... They've done so much in the last few months, I have no doubts that they will have almost everything done by December. 

Well, they've also done a lot of updating to the kickstarter models since then...and, frankly, the models are the easy part (which is already a ton of painstaking work for art and effects departments), there is also animating the models, the game mechanics, rendering the models in the world, setting up the rules and codes for combat and interactions...I'll be surprised to see the game launch before next year (not floored, per se, but more like "huh...neat" kind of surprised).

That said, as much as I'd like to play, I don't mind waiting. Would rather ACE spend more months testing and perfecting the game before release, as the more months they put into perfecting the game, the more time I'll play it. With rushed releases, I tend to play maybe a month and shift interests to the next upcoming title...but I find that the more time that goes into a games polishing and teasing, the more excited I get for the game, and the more I'm invested after launch.

I think the system is going to open up a lot more (in regards to combat) once they flesh out weapon systems and disciplines. It's easy to forget these are all basically base classes and right now play styles are severely limited while they hash out more important things first. A good example of a melee and ranged archer in the future will be a knight sentinel with Archer and Swordsman disc (to raise max bow and sword skills) + 3rd disc (could be Beastmaster or whatever if you want a pet) and bingo bango you have a Ranger type who is more front line oriented and can whip out a sword and board if he has to (hopefully...not sure if they talked about weapon swapping but its kind of a thing nowadays).

Im excited about the ammo drop, looking forward to skills.

Archery and close combat, remember me of the Shadow Warrior in Warhammer and my ranger in Baldurs Gate :D

Now i just need the druid and the Myrmidon (oh and be in March allready too)  :D

WnxjrJ9.gif

Thelanas Kar'Pal Membre fondateur de l'alliance Naerth en 2001 - Ex Shadowbane European Advisor Damnation/Carnage/Vindication/Corruption http://www.twitch.tv/gorwald/profile

This will be my main class upon launch and I'm very excited for it, the system sounds amazing and just what i was hoping for. The fact that you have to be selective about your shooting as well means no spamming or kiting (to a degree):D

Vandus Hammerhand

"Spartans don't die, they are just Missing in Action"

I do wonder what else they have in store though... will they perhaps have magic using classes that require reagents to cast their spells?

i would like to see that to some degree.

played mortal online for years and mages only need a handfull of reagents to cast spell was ok for me, tho the reagents were really cheap and u could buy them from a vendor.

i'd like to see reagents for powerfull spells or some sort, and perhaps craft/gatherable reagents

Bbhm5iJ.jpg