Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Archetype Focus: The Ranger - Official discussion thread

Ammunition confirmed, this is gonna change the scope of what resources really mean. I'm glad of it

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

This is one of my favorite archetypes and it seems to be shaping up nicely.  I can't wait to get in and try this one out.  The graphic design looks really good.

I hope the crafting system is this detailed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDSjYvFkbbg

:)  j/k

I, as well, will have to get used to the ammo thing.  Not sure how well the melee skills will stack up vs archery.  But this is why we are here, to test these things out and give feedback.

March can't come soon enough!

Edited by etheric

I'm in agreement that Confessors should have reagents for spells. Or maybe have reagents help out instead. Without regs: uses a lot more mana to cast. with regs: uses very little mana to cast, using reagents instead. It would take up inventory space, but it would allow you to cast more spells in a fight without running out and having to take a moment in combat to regenerate mana, which leaves you animation-locked and open to attack. Just a thought for that "choices have impact" thing CF is going for.

Also, I'm not sure about either "Powers affect what arrows do" or "Different arrows for different effects". Reason being: ALCHEMY! I mean, it just makes sense, doesn't it? I'm going to pull a quote from Dragon Age Inquisition:

"I'm not a healer, I'm an Alchemist. You want something that bursts into flame on contact with the air? Done, gladly."

You want burning arrows? Did the tip into that solution and let loose. You want to poison them? Did the tip. You want to paralyze them? Did the tip! Maybe bleeding and piercing damage can be reliant on what resources you craft them with, but just carry some potions around! Have each potion be able to affect up to 10 arrows and then run out or something. Have each arrow have to be dipped individually if you're afraid of it becoming OP. Also, don't forget that potions have a chance to explode, hence why there's an Alchemist bag to give them more protection if you have the Alchemy Discipline.

For those wondering about reload speed, have it be based on your mastery of bow and arrows. When you first start out, you're slower on the reload and need to be very careful. Once you've mastered it (I think the highest limit mentioned here: https://www.themittani.com/features/crowfall-exclusive-interview-passive-skills-and-stealth-ops?nopaging=1 is 250) you're the fastest draw around. Doesn't mean you have to have instantaneous reload, but if you've taken the time to master it and your vessel allows for max mastery, then you should feel that mastery, yes?

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

Cant wait to meet up with my band of merry men and fill an area up with traps and lie in wait to shoot with bows.  Called targets, traps and hopefully some snares so that some dual wielding cutthroats can mix it up while you become a pin cushion.

Even if you make me carry only so many arrows, 35 dollar extra character should have plenty of extra arrows on him.  That walking inventory slot will probably also have summon as well.  That is why you spend that extra money, more benefit than an EK fortress for less money.

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

I love the look of that armor.  The concept is great too, I really hope this isn't a glorified pet class like a lot of other games.  I'd rather pet companionship be a skill that all classes have the ability to spec into if that were the case.

Anyways great to see melee and ranged combat.  I would think a Ranger would be able to switch to melee when an enemy closes in.  Crafting ammo, I'm actually ok with that as long as it's not a constant pain in the butt. 

This Archetype certainly seems interesting. I do think, unfortunately, that the 'flavor' of a personal player Archetype has been reduced to an item you pull out of a bag. Many have no problem with this, of course, but the idea in play makes me squirm a bit. Like: What shall I play now - horsey, knighty, hamster, ladylike etc...?

I realize that, comfortable or not, this is the path that has been chosen by the dev team and I feel certain that there is no going back. Having donated a hundred bucks in the game and its content I will really look forward to the development of the EK and "Game of Thrones' type of content. So I will probably have a Ranger Doll in my Crow backpack.

This Archetype certainly seems interesting. I do think, unfortunately, that the 'flavor' of a personal player Archetype has been reduced to an item you pull out of a bag. Many have no problem with this, of course, but the idea in play makes me squirm a bit. Like: What shall I play now - horsey, knighty, hamster, ladylike etc...?

I realize that, comfortable or not, this is the path that has been chosen by the dev team and I feel certain that there is no going back. Having donated a hundred bucks in the game and its content I will really look forward to the development of the EK and "Game of Thrones' type of content. So I will probably have a Ranger Doll in my Crow backpack.

No Ranger Gundam in my hanger (though she does look cool).  Just call me Jake (or Elwood) Blues, because my closet is filled with the same suit (oh, what's that folded up in corner?  Heh, heh...  Okay, so maybe I dabble a tiny bit on the weekends.  Don't tell my mother...)

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

Thisssssssssssssssssssssss

you do mean reagents as ammo for spells?  that would be realistic in a setting where melee slowly lose their weapons in the repair cycle and archers need ammo.   We cannot let caster archetypes get away with no decay of equipment after all...  sew up them robes and collect mats for crafting reagents.

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

So the Ranger is a base archetype and will have more specialization archetypes to advance to added later like Hunter/Huntress and Scout?  I have never had so much fun as the pre-battle scout-rogue-huntress-assassin encounters utilizing all the stealth/reveal skills and snare/traps and scouting enemy groups vying for advantage in surprise and terrain.

Edited by Frykka

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

So long as we aren't forced or feel compelled into being walking quivers like with other ammo systems or ammo is reasonably simple enough to make then I imagine it'll work fine, especially if she plays expecting to have to melee regularly.  The only way I can imagine the ammo system truly working is if melee combat is consistent because kiting has limited viability and ranged is only good for initiation or as an ambush tactic (meaning, less able to kite than Confessor and other mage range classes).

Having to carry thousands of individual units of ammo because combat is consistent enough to blow through over 1k in the span of an hour would be an excellent way to turn off ammo classes to most players.  This needs to be balanced carefully to work.  There's a reason "bow" classes in MMOs these days tend to have unlimited ammo.

I feel a safe fallback would simply to have a Quiver/Arrow slot that degrades over time, perhaps faster than anything else, to reduce the glut if it winds up being a problem.  Path of Exile's system would be a good place for inspiration here as each quiver type offers a small something to benefit specific playstyles.

That's an arrow every 3 seconds.

It's hard to accurately shoot bullets that fast.

And how many soldiers are set up to lug around 1000 rounds of  bullets, loaded in magazines, each on patrol?

Your expectations are unrealistic.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

And how many soldiers are set up to lug around 1000 rounds of  bullets, loaded in magazines, each on patrol?

Well, if you have a group you just call the arrow boy to bring you over some arrows from the baggage train.

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

If my memory serves me correctly, didn't Everquest rangers have consumable arrows?   I think crafting arrows of different types and effects will make the ranger character more interesting and fun to play.   Adding consumables to the game to support or enhance a characters' abilities will give the game another dimension that will add to the overall game dynamics, i.e. battle strategies, crafting skills and recipes, resource gathering, and the game economy (trading specialized consumables). 

Now if I could find a rare fletching recipe and harvest or create the components needed to construct a trhat very rare arrow that would fly long and true and dispatch my enemy with a single shot. 

I think consumable will make the game more challenging, interesting and FUN.

Gramps

Everquest, Vanguard and games like those had craftable arrows each ranger was taking care of those by himself or buying them from the exchange.

Consumable is the way to go the game goes into the right direction... if still people dont like it they could play wow or games from this type...

Every play a bowazon in Diablo 2?  That is precisely what I do NOT want to see.  And I remember trying hunter in vanilla WoW, it was similar, always stuck having inventory glut with arrows or bullets and feeling unnecessarily burdened just because of the nature of my damage source.  Of course, neither class had a viable melee alternative, they were ranged classes, which only exacerbated the issue.  If it's not unrealistic to expect to use hundreds of arrows over an hour of gameplay in Crowfall the risk is that the ranger becomes a gimped melee class at no ammo which would mean balancing the class will be an impossible task.  Too good in either the ranged side or the melee side and you've got an OP class.  Too weak in either the ranged or melee side and you've an underwhelming class few will play because of the added burden of ammo.

OK, so far I'm seeing a fair amount of people in both support of and against finite ammo/different ammo types/stealth. So, here's what I'm going to take in about the Ranger:

This class will not be for everyone. It will be a difficult class to master. Some people will look at the finite ammo, the ideal scout-type playstyle and the decisions on what type of ammo to use and go "this is too hard, screw this!" and will abandon it. Other people will look at the finite ammo, scout-style of fighting and ammo choices and go "Dude, this is AWESOME!" Those who don't like it will play one of the other 12 available Archetypes (probably not Stalker due to being similar playstyle only anti-stealth). Those who do like it will master it, figure out what works for them and will be highly sought after as scouts, assassins and defenders.

Official prediction, may contain trace amounts of obvious :P

As for me: I TOTALLY wanna play this Archetype! I'm so torn though because I wanna focus on being a murdeer too... You know, as a side-hobby, since crafting will be my main focus. So the question now becomes: To stealth, or to anti-stealth...

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg