Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vucar

Chronicles of Elyria

KICKSTARTER IS TUESDAY, MAY 3!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/soulboundstudios/chronicles-of-elyria-epic-story-mmorpg-with-aging

So I can't believe there's no thread for this upcoming game. It surfaced publicly a few months ago and has gotten exponentially more traction as people find out about it. Any past Darkfall players will want to take a look at this game for sure.

Video of combat: 

https://twitter.com/SoulboundStudio/status/723888441184911361

Prealpha footage / teaser trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb1JcO645BA

"First look" video with very enthusiastic dude talking about most of the basic features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S91m1MaBp-I

Quick overview:

-Permanent death

-Characters age, grow old, die

-Family trees; children of your character can become your new character after your first dies

-Full loot, open world unrestricted pvp

-Player skill-based combat 

-No "level system" per se

-Finite resources in the world

-"Souls"

-Rare talents that not everyone gets -- distributed to Souls at random (think early SWG Force Sensitivity given to players by chance)

-Kingdom / City building / Conquest

-Become the King of a country

-Offline-Player Characters (OPC); your character never leaves the game world and does stuff while you're out

-Become an undying lich, build your own dungeon and become a raid boss for other players.

-Become a vampire and steal other peoples souls or start a vampire coven.

-Good/evil affinity scales

-Focus on "story of the game"

And a poorly made socks ton more I can't think of. Game has ton of potential and is breaking almost every mold of the mmo world. If this game comes to life, its the kind of thing people will fail out of college and be fired from not showing up at work over. I'll go in depth on a couple things but I could literally write a book about this game in how much its packing in.

"Souls": This will sound a lot like Crowfalls Crow/Vessel system, but ironically it existed before CF. When you start the game, you get 3-5 "Souls" to pick from. Literally they're just like little colored balls. Souls carry past lives; some will only have 1 past life, while "old souls" will carry the wisdom of several past lives. Past lives of people who were good at crafting will give you a "skill ramp" at that crafting. That means its easy for you to get good at that skill quick. A long bloodline of swordsmen will mean that soul will have an easy time learning swordsmanship. 

"Talents": A special few characters will randomly be given talents by pure chance upon creation. You won't know which character has what talent, if they have any talent at all, until you "trigger it" by doing something related to it. Talents could be anything, and there are dozens or hundreds of them. Some might be uncanny extensions of natural gifts like a Talent for making the best cakes in the world. Some might be supernatural, like water breathing. A rare set of these talents will be magical ability. Thats right - only some small random subset of people get magic at all. If the wrong players find out you're Harry Potter, you might actually get lynched for it. When you permadie, your talent leaves that character. A constant but ever-changing ~5% of players will have talents in this way.

Aging, dying, and the business model: You start your character by buying a Spark of Life for ~$30 and put that into a soul. With that soul, you get put into a child of 12 or 15, and immediately begin aging. Four RL days are one in-game year, complete with changing seasons. After about 80-120 in-game years (roughly 320-480 RL days), your character will die of old age. Getting your health dropped to zero "incaps" you, and you have to "spirit walk" back to your body following an astral cord. This gets harder to do the more you die due to increased "spirit loss" (limited time, farther away, harder to find, etc). When you cant do it, you perma-die. If you incap a lot, your character will have a shorter lifespan. If you're very famous (King, dragon-slaying hero, etc), each death counts for way more "spirit loss" and you can't afford to die as many times as some peasant farmer. If you perma-die, you need to buy a new Spark of Life. That means if you play your cards right, you could play for over a year on just $30. If you yolo around, it might be like 3-4 months. This talks more about it.

Liches and vampires: Both will be rare, and both are risky for the player. Becoming a Lich has been confirmed, but is shrouded in mystery and vague description. Basically, if you do a bunch of evil stuff and get a very evil affinity, you might be able to unlock some power that turns you into a Lich. This may require you to either have great magical power yourself, or find someone who has great magical power. You put your soul in a phylactery, and hide your phylactery. As long as no one finds it, you can't die. Ever. Also, you're a powerful undead mage. Hopefully you prepared for this and have a lair, which you can dig into the ground and make for yourself, and defend it with npc soldiers, traps and the like. Players will have to form large groups to have any hope of bringing you down, and of course if they die you get all their loot and the satisfaction of slaughtering swathes of players. If they beat you, and find your phylactery, and destroy it, you perma-die. New spark of life needed.

You can be turned into a Vampire, which means they take your soul and you lose it. You stop aging, but if you die, you need a new spark of life AND your soul is gone from the soul-select screen. That means your bloodline of swordsmen is gone. Luckily, if someone else kills the vampire that killed you, your soul is "released: to the ether, and you get it back in your screen to choose again. On the flipside, you could just go around stealing other peoples souls and gain their talents, powers, etc, and become a super powerful vampire yourself. If you steal someone elses soul, they become a vampire. 

Family trees; if you perma-die, thats not too bad, because your soul can inhabit your next of kin -- your child. If you opt to not be part of a family, you can become a "ward of the state", which has more freedom in character creation (skill allotments are more flexible) because you're an orphan and you grow up in an orphanage. In this way, perma-death is softened because your soul retains skill ramps that make leveling those past-life skills easier. Someone who masters blacksmithing will get back up to it much more quickly in their second life than in their first. 

"Story of the game"; There will be an overarching story of the game, directed entirely by the players. Everything about this game ties in to how the story is affected. Conquests, slaying of great titanic monsters, assassinations, etc will all change and alter the path of the story. Right now this kind of a vague and hard to describe idea, but anyone familiar with table top RPGs will get it pretty quick. Its basically a theme of realism -- if its realistic for the continuity of a story, expect it to be in game. Log out of the game? Your character is still there, doing what you scripted them to do. Also, its possible for them to get iassassinated but theres a limit to how much spirit loss you can suffer while away. King players can have both PC and NPC guards stay by them while everyone is offline as scripted offline player characters (OPCs) to prevent random 3AM assassinations of the king. 

There's way more to go over but this sums up a lot of key take-aways. Read the developer journals and listen to the lead developer in the Q&A's on youtube for more details.

If you register on their forum, please put my friend code in: BB02D1     

Edited by vucar

aka honeybear

I was following the game for a bit until the spike in 'player made pve' flooded the forums and lost interest. The soul progression system is what initially pulled me in.

Interesting in concept.

Didn't know about vampires, that sounds like some fun pvp.

[TB] The Balance
Nation of Equilibrium

Oh wow, no posts since July. No wonder I didn't see it in the first few pages. Thanks

A lot more information has surfaced since then. I really think this game has incredible potential so I want to drum up interest in it as much as I want to drum up interest in CF. I wanted to personally present some of the big features here in this thread because its (intentionally) difficult to find all that out on the CoE website itself. Their forum is apparently getting an overhaul soon. 

Also their community is really gracious, and almost completely free of trolls like Viking.

jk babe

aka honeybear

Ive had my eye on it for a bit. Seems like a very ambitious project for an indie Dev. I like all the concepts and ideas they have but that's just it I think they might be trying to do too much. They game won't see the light of day for a decade at this rate.

Ive had my eye on it for a bit. Seems like a very ambitious project for an indie Dev. I like all the concepts and ideas they have but that's just it I think they might be trying to do too much. They game won't see the light of day for a decade at this rate.

My first initial thought was the same. I was convinced it was vaporware, pie-in-the-sky dreams. I've read and heard a lot from the lead developer since then and while i'm still skeptical, I fully believe it can be done. Caspian (originator and lead dev) has already been working on this for years on his own, coding a lot of these systems himself. He was a lead software engineer at Microsoft and in one of the Q&A he talks about how a lot of mmos take longer to develop because the game industry doesn't use what he refers to as "best practice" which is more common in the software development industry. He's taken a lot of his skills learned from out of the gaming industry and brought them in to make things more streamlined and efficient. Servers will be in the cloud, patching will be done in real time without server downs, and the Soulbound engine is made from scratch so that a lot of the game mechanics he's planning will have more synergy and flow.

I don't have a great technical background with game design or software development, but I was very impressed with the confidence he gave when asked, straight up, on a live Q&A about how ambitious his goals were and if they could be accomplished. He knows his stuff, for sure. At this point its a matter of how big a team he can come up with to get the rest of this game fleshed out, and that depends on the support he gets from his community.

The first kickstarter has been vaguely slated for somewhere between Q1 and Q2 this year, and he said that the results of the KS will guide the pace of development and determine what non-essential mechanics or features don't make it into launch. Some features, he claims, are so integral to the game (like the story engine, aging and dying, talents etc) that there is no chance they will be stripped from the launch version. 

So I remain optimistic but with a healthy skepticism.

aka honeybear

The development team seems to have great ideas. It may not really be my type of game though, we'll see when they release gameplay footage.

A few things in the FAQ that I'm not a fan of :

O488WQr.png?1

In the only game I've played with this kind of Karma mechanics, players were not really doing open-world PvP to avoid the penalties.

The development team seems to have great ideas. It may not really be my type of game though, we'll see when they release gameplay footage.

A few things in the FAQ that I'm not a fan of :

O488WQr.png?1

In the only game I've played with this kind of Karma mechanics, players were not really doing open-world PvP to avoid the penalties.

Valid concerns. I'll address them in order with what I know

1 - "illegal" is only illegal if you're caught. There is an entire skill tree (Deviant skills or something) dedicated to crime, including disguises and forging documents. You could wear a mask and commit a crime and no one would be able to identify you. There are no floating names unless you choose to introduce yourself. If you find someone out in the woods, and there are no witnesses, you could murder them with impunity. It just becomes a little more tactical if you're in the middle of a large urban area like a castle or city.

2 - "Prison" does not mean you wait in a room. Being caught and put in prison means you suffer spirit loss. One RL day is one in-game season. It basically deducts spirit loss from you as though you served your time. Kind of like how in Morrowind if you get caught in prison, you don't just sit there - you come in, you go out, and you've lost some skills. In this game, instead of losing skills, your spirit loss makes it harder for you to spirit walk to your body when you get incapped, indirectly reducing your game time.

3 - "Lives" don't mean the same as getting incapped at 0 health. You can "die" many times before you're "perma dead". In my OP i gave an example of how long you can expect to live off of one ~$30 Spark of Life, which for the average player will probably be 6 months before you have to spend anymore money. 

aka honeybear

So when you PvP and get caught, you reduce the lifespan of the character. And new characters cost $20-40 USD. That's quite a huge deterrent to open-world PvP imo, and explains why "PvP [...] is highly unlikely around civilized areas."

Some players may take the risk anyway as you wrote, trying to hide their identity and stuff like that.

Edited by courant101

So when you PvP and get caught, you reduce the lifespan of the character. And new characters cost $20-40 USD. That's quite a huge deterrent to open-world PvP imo, and explains why "PvP [...] is highly unlikely around civilized areas."

Some players may take the risk anyway as you wrote, trying to hide their identity and stuff like that.

The game rewards risk. In its truest form, its high risk high reward. 

Taken from the middle of the latest developer journal; I cut out the part where he explains how death and spirit loss works and skipped to what it effectively means. I think you should read the whole dev journal though because it explains a lot:

Caspian :

"...Now let's assume you die very frequently. You're out adventuring every day doing extremely dangerous activities. Every day you die once. That means every day counts as three days of play time. The average of 354 divided by 3 is 118 days. That's 16 weeks, or approximately 3.75 months before you need to buy a new Spark of Life.

I know what you're thinking, "3.75 months! That sounds like a very short period of time!" It does sound like a short period of time. However, there's two things to remember. First, that number is if you die every day. If you even skip a day in between deaths, that increases all the way to 5.5 months. So if you don't play 7 days a week, but maybe just 4 or 5, if you die each time you play, or even twice each time you play, you're still looking at roughly 6 months of play.

The other thing to consider is the cost of a Spark of Life. If you only live 3.75 months, then for our currently estimated price of $29.99 per Spark of Life, it still means you're only paying approximately $7.99 per month. That's half the price of a WoW subscription! That's right. If you're an active, daring player who plays every single day and manages to die every single day... you can continue to play CoE for 1/2 the price of a WoW subscription."

Edited by vucar

aka honeybear

The game rewards risk. In its truest form, its high risk high reward. 

It seems to be the opposite : If you take risks and die often, or PvP and get caught, you'll have to pay $$$ earlier than if you do safer activities.

Taking risks means higher chance of dying or going to jail, which means having to pay real life money more often to get a Spark of Life ($30).

I like games with consequences, with high risk / high reward, when the consequences remain in-game.

It's not too bad... people generally won't be losing their spark quickly enough to where the price of a new one rivals a subscription mmo.

If your character dies ~8 times daily, from what I understood of the quote, you'll have to pay 30 bucks every 2 weeks.

Or maybe one day counts as 3 days no matter if you die 1 or 100 times?

Anyway, the major problem I see with this is that players would take minimal risks in-game just to delay the Spark of Life payment.

Edited by courant101

It seems to be the opposite : If you take risks and die often, or PvP and get caught, you'll have to pay $$$ earlier than if you do safer activities.

Taking risks means higher chance of dying or going to jail, which means having to pay real life money more often to get a Spark of Life ($30).

I like games with consequences, with high risk / high reward, when the consequences remain in-game.

You could live as a farmer, or blacksmith, and play over a year irl and never die. Thats one way to play this game, and thats fine. If you want to go achieve something great, like explore the worlds darkest and deepest caves and tombs, defeat mythical creatures like dragons, or murder someone and take all their belongings, yes, you risk your life and a fraction of your gameplay if you fail. The rewards could be great - a newly discovered place could be named after you, permanently; the treasures guarded by a great dragon could be yours, and you might be able to take a part of it as a trophy or use the scales to make something unique in the world; caravans can be plundered and riches stolen; you could become King and direct the development of a nation (but higher fame from status = high spirit loss on death). None of this is possible to the farmer or the blacksmith that stays in the city walls, avoiding danger. 

Its not the kind of game where you grab a gear bag out of the bank, party with your friends and go find groups of people to pvp against that are farming mobs. Pvp is calculated, and the stakes are high. You aren't going to see successful murderers brandishing weapons and attacking people in the middle of the streets on an hourly basis because that just doesn't make sense. The most successful murderers are the ones you'll likely never hear about or know exist. Dying 8 times in a day will be unheard of.

On that note, the same dev diary i've mentioned several times, which I implore you to read, discusses how there is a cap to the amount of spirit loss you can suffer all at once from repeated deaths, as well. If you die, but your body is camped and you keep dying to someone over and over, you will only suffer spirit loss the first time. After that it caps out for an amount of time to be determined; that way people can't grief you out of your play time. Additionally, there are different rules on spirit loss during international wars.

The only time you'll lose game time is when you yourself go after something big. Risk and reward.

edit; also, this game has a Darkfall-esque gank mechanic called Coup de grace. Most monsters won't finish you off, but players will. Getting incapped by mobs 8 times in a day is not the same as being ganked 8 times in a day.

Edited by vucar

aka honeybear

If your character dies ~8 times daily, from what I understood of the quote, you'll have to pay 30 bucks every 2 weeks.

Anyway, the major problem I see with this is that players would take minimal risks in-game just to delay the Spark of Life payment.

In the general open world any 'coup de grace' death after your first for two and a half hours doesn't count toward the soul loss. Also keep in mind that soul loss does not occur when your character hits 0 HP. Upon hitting 0 HP your go unconscious with a timer displaying how long until you wake up. A player or especially evil NPC then has the option to coup de grace you. All standard NPCs will not coup de grace you and PvPers will only do so if they're willing to take on the additional negatives from that action stacked on top of attacking someone.

PvP will be widespread, but coup de grace will probably be rare unless someone is willing to be considered straight up evil and attacked on sight anywhere they go.

As a hardcore RPG player I absolutely love the idea of Chronicles of Elyria. Let's see if they pull it off. It will certainly be the main competition to Crowfall for me as my go-to medieval/fantasy game.

Edited by omega59er

In the general open world any 'coup de grace' death after your first for two and a half hours doesn't count toward the soul loss. Also keep in mind that soul loss does not occur when your character hits 0 HP. Upon hitting 0 HP your go unconscious with a timer displaying how long until you wake up. A player or especially evil NPC then has the option to coup de grace you. All standard NPCs will not coup de grace you and PvPers will only do so if they're willing to take on the additional negatives from that action stacked on top of attacking someone.

PvP will be widespread, but coup de grace will probably be rare unless someone is willing to be considered straight up evil and attacked on sight anywhere they go.

As a hardcore RPG player I absolutely love the idea of Chronicles of Elyria. Let's see if they pull it off. It will certainly be the main competition to Crowfall for me as my go-to medieval/fantasy game.

Well I'll give them credit for being one of very few Devs that seem interested in making an actual "living world" type game.

Anyways like said I have my eye on it but not getting too involved until I see actual gameplay.

​Hey courant just popped over here to see if a thread about CoE was here and what do you know. :D

​To answer your question about how long an avatar's life is you should check out this design journal: http://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/1772-DJ-16-The-Weight-and-Measure-of-a-Lifetime

​It will give you a good idea, on how a person can calculate how long their like could possibly be, Caspain gives several examples. Hope that helps.

Me and my buddies are always looking for friendly people to game with. Are you that type of person? Then look us up @ www.seireitei.info ;)

Thanks for all the info guys, I've been looking through a couple of dev posts and journals.

Well I'll give them credit for being one of very few Devs that seem interested in making an actual "living world" type game.

Anyways like said I have my eye on it but not getting too involved until I see actual gameplay.

Agreed, it's also my approach. They've worked hard on building their website with the referral and Influence system, promoted the game on various gaming sites, made interviews, discussed Kickstarter... but I don't know if they've put as much effort on the game itself. I wonder how many people work on this project, how much time the founders have spent on developing the game and since how long the game is being built.

And a gameplay video showing more than the very few areas shown on screenshots would be great too.

Thanks for all the info guys, I've been looking through a couple of dev posts and journals.

Agreed, it's also my approach. They've worked hard on building their website with the referral and Influence system, promoted the game on various gaming sites, made interviews, discussed Kickstarter... but I don't know if they've put as much effort on the game itself. I wonder how many people work on this project, how much time the founders have spent on developing the game and since how long the game is being built.

And a gameplay video showing more than the very few areas shown on screenshots would be great too.

Offline playable demo should be out around the time of PAX East. Combat video should be live about this time next month.

They will be launching a kickstarter campaign soon to try to keep the game's funding in-house and with the players instead of using an investor or publisher. If the kickstarter fails they will be seeking an investor, however, and development will continue.

Caspian owned quite a bit of valuable land and he personally sold off everything he owned to get the company an office building and to fund everything that we're seeing right now. I really give him credit, his life is in CoE.

Background on Caspian is that he's been working on this game himself for 8 years, and in his 4 years at Microsoft developing operating systems as a senior engineer he gathered another 4 people to join him in the effort.

They're also looking at hiring a "famous story writer" (caspian's words) to make the story better than what the founders have come up with already.

I recommend watching this video if you're on the fence about CoE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlT1hytzeRg

Edited by omega59er

Caspian owned quite a bit of valuable land and he personally sold off everything he owned to get the company an office building and to fund everything that we're seeing right now. I really give him credit, his life is in CoE.

Background on Caspian is that he's been working on this game himself for 8 years, and in his 4 years at Microsoft developing operating systems as a senior engineer he gathered another 4 people to join him in the effort.

I consider that putting his own money on the project is a good example of commitment, as well as keeping up working on something for 8 years. I'd like to know more about those 4 people who joined Jeromy in the adventure.

Thanks for the video link, now I'm going to ask myself "why?".  :P