Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vucar

Chronicles of Elyria

"Considering the survival genre and its current history, I am well aware that griefers and hackers will descend on Elyria as soon as possible, probably far too late for Soulbound to properly address them."

Crowfall has decided to deal with this by creating the EKs, which are basically permanent player-controlled refuges from their time-limited campaign worlds.

Crowfall decided the challenge was one they would not try and meet.  COE seems to want to give it a shot.  It will be fascinating to see these two theories play out (assuming both games, as we hope, make it to production).

Looking from that perspective, yes. Crowfall does have the EK, which is a safe haven from any kind of griefing. 

But on the other hand, if we compare Crowfall's campaign worlds with CoE's take on PVP, CoE punishes and hinders pvp a lot more than Crowfall. Which makes sense given their design philosophy, but will probably create a very different game. In CoE player killing can generate bad reputation which keeps you from being able to enter most settlements (and that can be a big thing in a survival game where you need to eat and drink), and you also loose life expectancy if you get caught, which means loss of RL money. Territory conquest also has some impediments, you can't just lay siege to other settlements whenever you want. First you need to build up reputation, dabble in politics, get paperwork done, etc. Sounds like a real hassle. 

In Crowfall's campaign worlds you can kill anyone who's not a "friendly" anytime you feel like and attack their cities without any hassle as long as you do it at the proper time (nightcapping needs to be avoided afterall). No artificial punishments to discourage pvp, all you need to fear is retribution from those you kill. In that sense Crowfall is a true PVP game, it's built for you to log on and hop straight into the action. Whereas CoE is more of a medieval life simulator. Just my impressions at this point. But it does make me more interested in Crowfall as a result, due to its tighter focus on pvp.

What interests me is to see what the repurcussions will be on their financials, which is one of the reason I believe EQ next got scrapped : the cost of having a server farm running a dynamic world even when noone is connected to it. How many sparks will it cost to keep that up and break even? Might be silly reasoning without actual facts, and if you happen to have a better grasp on the subject, feel free to share.

I did contribute my 25 pledge out of curiosity to test the final product, my expectations are still low so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised at launch.

Dear ace, it was wrong of me to feel scammed, as time goes by, I realize that more and more. Thank you for letting me sell my account!

-a very satisfied customer-

My expectations are pretty low too. I think that the timeline of the project is heavily unrealistic considering the complexity of the features and the size of the team. Some of the screenshots on the official website seem altered and not authentic, some of them showing systems that have not been proven to be functional in the game. According to Linkedin, the founder and programmer have no prior experience in MMORPGs. The tech used for the server (SpacialOS) apparently has never been used in any MMO game and the claims would be untested for this kind of massive project. And a few other reasons that lead to the decision of cancelling the pledge.

Edited by courant101

I don't disagree with anyone's well-founded skepticism.  We have all seen numerous great ideas vanish into vapor.  For the founder's sake, I hope they succeed, since I believe this is a sincere labor of love.  Something like that is very hard to pull off without big investors, but the problem is that those investors will often demand the product get morphed into another cloned cash-shop driven cash grab and pushed out before it is ready.

I think though the success of both the Crowfall and COE KS campaigns shows there is a hunger for better than what we have been served.  The question is whether the market is perceived to be just a niche audience.  In that case, these will end up as boutique hamburger joints but McDonald's will still rule (sorry to pick on McDonald's - I was just looking for a metaphor). 

I also hope they succeed. I agree that the team probably put a lot of effort in this project and took some risks. What I hope too, however, is that those who pledged their money (+$1,300,000) will not have lost it on another overly hyped and ambitious project that will never get shipped or only with 1/5 of the advertised features. It's nice to see someone getting so much support to realize a project, but if it means that 25 people will lose $3,500 (and some backers even pledging $10,000) without any assurance that the project promised has any realistic chance to ever get done, then it's another story.

There's a difference between someone who puts his own money to do something completely crazy, innovative and risky, and someone who convince people to put their own money to fund all this crazy stuff without any evidence that it's even possible.

With Crowfall, they had money already invested in the project prior to Kickstarter ($2,35M), an experienced team with several veterans of the MMO industry, proven tech (unity, VoxelFarm, servers), a very clear time table, an advanced multiplayer prototype that was in development for more than a year, etc. In the case of CoE, it's pretty different.

There's a difference between someone who puts his own money to do something completely crazy, innovative and risky, and someone who convince people to put their own money to fund all this crazy stuff without any evidence that it's even possible.

I couldn't find where he said it, but I recall the founder saying that he used the large amount of money he and his wife had saved for their dream home in France to instead do the preliminary work to make this happen.  He also said a close friend gave him money.  The smallish team they have apparently are taking a lower than industry level salary but getting some sort of compensation depending on the success of the venture.  Doing something on that basis - I can't imagine the pressure, even if it is a labor of love.  

Edited by cemya

I couldn't find where he said it, but I recall the founder saying that he used the large amount of money he and his wife had saved for their dream home in France to instead do the preliminary work to make this happen.  He also said a close friend gave him money.  The smallish team they have apparently are taking a lower than industry level salary but getting some sort of compensation depending on the success of the venture.  Doing something on that basis - I can't imagine the pressure, even if it is a labor of love.  

True, they surely made some sacrifices and took a large risk. Even the Kickstarter is a risky endeavor; the promises have to be fulfilled and the rewards delivered. I think Caspian and his wife are really courageous to undertake a project like that and it's nice to see that they're realizing their dream to create a virtual world.

Update for those not actively following:

Kickstarter emails went out today so you can link your KS pledge to your CoE forum account. That will be important later so if you haven't done that, make sure you check your email for it.

New website finally came out yesterday after a week of delay. It feels a lot smoother and although the store isn't up yet, it apparently has the ability to scale much better and accommodate more of what SBS has planned in the future with the MUD and Kingdoms of Elyria game.

aka honeybear

Do we know when the first Alpha will start?

Allegedly late this Fall. 

Personally I'd be surprised if it was earlier than January of 17, but I like to assume the worst and hope for the best.

aka honeybear

They will be opening their Online Website Store at the beginning of next month, and offering the kickstarter bundles again.

The first, and most significant part of this update, is the announcement that the online store will finally be opening on Monday, October 3rd, 2016. When the store opens we will, for 28 days (until October 31st), be offering the exact same backing tiers, add-ons, and prices as we were offering for our Kickstarter.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/11968/Labor-of-Love

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

Lay-away option added today (or yesterday?) and $1.5M crowd-funding reached:

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/13388/layaway-now-available

The layaway option was up since 29th of oct 2016, then went off for good two hours for bug fixing.

Go ahead layaway for the game people, it's worth it :)!

SkDJEH9.png Discord: message me if you want to stay in touch. Retired CrowFall member.

Whats the news of this game?

When will it go into Early Access?

Where can I inform myself easily about the game?

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

On 3/13/2017 at 6:07 PM, Urahara said:

Whats the news of this game?

When will it go into Early Access?

Where can I inform myself easily about the game?

No info so far about alpha or early access.

I do predict pre-alpha or alpha 1 access this year.

To keep informed about news and development.. https://chroniclesofelyria.com/news and following dev journal  https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog 

Edited by Mox

SkDJEH9.png Discord: message me if you want to stay in touch. Retired CrowFall member.