Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vucar

Chronicles of Elyria

TBH I am not interested in most the concepts from CoE so far. It all seems far too ambitious for the amount of money they are asking for. I can't blame them for trying though.

Of course they wont start from day one of release with the game they envisioned, right at the beginning. That wont happen of course, because thats almost impossible. Thats the goal, not the start line! Thats where you bring your game closer and closer to with the years, always working on it, adding new mechanics and technologies, not just story players play through and thats it, like all the other generic MMO are doing it. You shouldnt just add story to your game players play through, if they still care for your boring game, you have to add things to your game, which it wasnt able to do before!

It looks terrible

Graphics arent everything but, if youre willing to play a game that looks 15 yrs old there are better options

It doesnt look terrible.

It looks decent, not bad or anything. I am really ok with the graphics.

But you have to keep in mind that an MMO can run several years, so your graphics need to have much of potential of upgrading or even whole new graphic system.

And honestly, I dont give much about graphics, because the only thing the big publishers are doing is making their games look a bit nice on the graphic side, voice acting and thats all, but the game itself always sucks, because there isnt much effort spend on the game itself.

Basically what the gaming industry nowadays is producing are poorly interactive movies, and not games at all!

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

I agree with Urahara - the trend today is making really polished, high-bloom, hollow pieces of poorly made socks with no depth or gameplay behind them, because all of their millions went into graphics, or voice acting, or something else that would be a priority in a Hollywood movie and adds nothing to how engaged you are in a game.

That said, I think the graphics are fine. Actually much better than what I had anticipated given how much depth the game is shooting for. 

Also, as far as "better options", I'd love to hear some of them. The river is almost dry from where I'm standing. This game is offering a lot of features I'm interested in: permadeath, full loot open world pvp, player-skill combat, city building and conquest. Its ambitious as hell, but I'd rather give it a shot than not bother. 

Edited by vucar

aka honeybear

I agree with Urahara - the trend today is making really polished, high-bloom, hollow pieces of poorly made socks with no depth or gameplay behind them, because all of their millions went into graphics, or voice acting, or something else that would be a priority in a Hollywood movie and adds nothing to how engaged you are in a game.

That said, I think the graphics are fine. Actually much better than what I had anticipated given how much depth the game is shooting for. 

Also, as far as "better options", I'd love to hear some of them. The river is almost dry from where I'm standing. This game is offering a lot of features I'm interested in: permadeath, full loot open world pvp, player-skill combat, city building and conquest. Its ambitious as hell, but I'd rather give it a shot than not bother. 

Agree with most points here. In my opinion Crowfall and Chronicles of Elyria are two of only a few of the MMOs being made that is really trying something different and breaking out of the cookie cutter MMO mold. I mean their features are not new exactly but the combinations and execution of them may be and to me that's why I've backed CF financially and have my eye on CoE.

Edited by pang

Agree with most points here. In my opinion Crowfall and Chronicles of Elyria are two of only a few of the MMOs being made that is really trying something different and breaking out of the cookie cutter MMO mold. I mean their features are not new exactly but the combinations and execution of them may be and to me that's why I've backed CF financially and have my eye on CoE.

Its not about features of an MMO that are trying something different or so!

ITS THE PEOPLE making it!

Look at the people making a game and you know what the game will be like.

And outside of Crowfall, Star Citizen and a few other independent game developers all people in the gaming industry nowadays are blood and money sucking idiots, without the slightest bit of interest into games or you as a gamer or customer.

Edited by Urahara

Its not about features of an MMO that are trying something different or so!

ITS THE PEOPLE making it!

Look at the people making a game and you know what the game will be like.

And outside of Crowfall, Star Citizen and a few other independent game developers all people in the gaming industry nowadays are blood and money sucking idiots, without the slightest bit of interest into games or you as a gamer or customer.

I actually was suprised was Dying Light situation , i was expecting the usual. Overhyped game that would end up being underdeveloped and devs abandoning it on first month. But they actually did deliver pretty amazing combat(code) with very well made physics and mediocre story. Game difficulty really neeeded alot of tweaking but ideas were there and they were executed quite very well. And they did not abandon the game and spent alot of time on making a very big expansion that costs less yet brings alot.

They are like others an money hungry company, but in their differance they were not idiots.

Im also hoping to work on gaming indistury as software engineer, i hope i can find a good company. You know what matters more than salary is making a game people like , at least that is for me.

I actually was suprised was Dying Light situation , i was expecting the usual. Overhyped game that would end up being underdeveloped and devs abandoning it on first month. But they actually did deliver pretty amazing combat(code) with very well made physics and mediocre story. Game difficulty really neeeded alot of tweaking but ideas were there and they were executed quite very well. And they did not abandon the game and spent alot of time on making a very big expansion that costs less yet brings alot.

They are like others an money hungry company, but in their differance they were not idiots.

Im also hoping to work on gaming indistury as software engineer, i hope i can find a good company. You know what matters more than salary is making a game people like , at least that is for me.

If you're in the Puget Sound area (PNW) you might consider reaching out to Jeromy Walsh / Caspian, the founder of Soulbound Studios and CoE. From what i hear in irc, they're always looking for passionate game developers, coders and others that genuinely want to see the game succeed.

aka honeybear

This guy isn't just flying too close to the sun, he's actually walking on it.

Will keep my eye on and probably back depending on combat videos, but I really doubt this game will see the light of day--at least with all the mechanics it has promised so far.

Will keep my eye on and probably back depending on combat videos, but I really doubt this game will see the light of day--at least with all the mechanics it has promised so far.

Again.

Thats what is the finish line for the game, not the start line!

The game wont start with everything possible feature in the world, it will move closer and closer to this hopefully with the time.

Its the goal, not the start.

Otherwise there would be thousands of awesome MMOs out there, if it would be that easy. But there isnt a single one!

The game can come there over time, but for sure not directly at release, get real.

The ridiculousness that it seems like making a good salary is somehow mutually exclusive from making a game people like...the gaming industry is not alone in that fight.

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

The ridiculousness that it seems like making a good salary is somehow mutually exclusive from making a game people like...the gaming industry is not alone in that fight.

The people working in the gaming industry nowadays are a bunch of incompetent, shabby, horrible, selfish idiots, who couldnt care less about games, gamers/their customers or society.

All they care about is themselves and money.

The gaming industry has become a real industry these days.

And thats poorly not exclusive to the gaming industry.

The gap between the gaming industry and gamers has never been bigger or worse.

The gaming industry really has become the worst.

Edited by Urahara

Yeah I think that's a fair assessment. 

The thing to remember is that when we all think of mmos in production, we're thinking regional quest and storylines that must be written, character classes that must be fleshed out, instanced pvp battlegrounds that must be balanced, multiple large cities and deep dungeons and epic bosses to explore that must be designed... and a whole lot of other things CoE isn't going to do.

Almost all of their development funds are going into building tools for us, the players, to make the world. That's it. They give us the tools, we populate the game and build it up and the future of the game goes from there. If there are dungeons, its because we made them; if there are vast capital cities, its because players built them, and if there are epic raid lich bosses, its because a player found a dark ritual and he is the lich boss.

Im still remaining cautious but im also planning on dropping a lot of money onto this kickstarter, more than I ever have.  

aka honeybear

The thing to remember is that when we all think of mmos in production, we're thinking regional quest and storylines that must be written, character classes that must be fleshed out, instanced pvp battlegrounds that must be balanced, multiple large cities and deep dungeons and epic bosses to explore that must be designed... and a whole lot of other things CoE isn't going to do.

Almost all of their development funds are going into building tools for us, the players, to make the world. That's it. They give us the tools, we populate the game and build it up and the future of the game goes from there. If there are dungeons, its because we made them; if there are vast capital cities, its because players built them, and if there are epic raid lich bosses, its because a player found a dark ritual and he is the lich boss.

Im still remaining cautious but im also planning on dropping a lot of money onto this kickstarter, more than I ever have.  

Very good explanation.

This is basically the new generation of the MMO genre.

Let your game be as much interesting and interactive as possible, so that players want and will create content theirselves, for them and others to explore.

Basically you as developer are building a sandbox and put material, resources and tools into it, and then let others get into it and get wild with it.

That was once true, but nowadays it seems it has gotten even worser than that, stupid gameplay, stupid story and stupid graphics.

That being said, graphics matter quite alot to me. I dont care about polygon count or all the fancy tech but i do care about how much "feeling" i get from graphics. Feeling stands for realistic in a way that it should feel like im looking through window rather than looking at obvious computer graphics.

I will give 2 examples to show my point, Witcher and Dark Souls 2.

Dark Souls 2, arguably has way higher poly count and "tech" than witcher 1 yet looks soo computer generated. With flat shapes all over it.

Witcher 1, very old game yet artistic detail is so high in that game i could play it with no problems whatsoever past summer and spent good 45 hours in it.

Very good explanation.

This is basically the new generation of the MMO genre.

Let your game be as much interesting and interactive as possible, so that players want and will create content theirselves, for them and others to explore.

Basically you as developer are building a sandbox and put material, resources and tools into it, and then let others get into it and get wild with it.

Yes sandbox success hinges on the ability of players to create their own content, which is great for development time and costs, but many devs have thought they could slap together PvP, crafting, and player controlled terriroty and call it day, leaving the players to make their own fun.  The CoE devs are going so much further to support the player in their ability to create gameplay with features like aging, families, player made contracts, player governance, cartography, division of labor (producer, supplier, explorer, champion), disguises, and much more.  These systems are not necessarily easy to implement but what they pay in dividends towards player created content is huge. 

Add to this very good NPC AI, and you have a world that feels lived in.  If the combat comes anywhere close to at least Skyrim level, it could be very fun.   

Luke I am your Uncle... Bob.  What, my sister Padmè never mentioned me?

Indie studios creating crowdfunded sandbox-ish titles seem to often use this reasoning: "the game will feature minimal PvE and quests, nothing fancy for character customization, no PvP balance, no dungeons, etc. therefore it's not going to cost a lot".

The reality is that great MMORPGs cost a lot to develop, no matter what shortcuts the developers use. There are ways to reduce the amount of effort/money it takes to build a game, but there's no way we can create a quality MMORPG for $900,000 or whatever the budget of CoE is. The cost of labor in US and many EU countries is extremely high.

Other indie companies have attempted to create ambitious sandbox games and either the cost skyrocketed and they had to cut on systems, or they were working in countries where the cost of labor is lower (eastern EU, Asia, Russia...) and they achieved something decent (or not) even with a low budget, or they had to seek for investors and the whole "indie studio" appellation becomes more or less relevant...

Let's take Crowfall as an example. They had +$2 millions before even going on Kickstarter and a big part of this money went into creating the demo for the crowdfunding campaign. The goal was to create a MMORPG for about 6 millions, using several techniques to reduce cost: no theme park features, procedural terrain generation, archetypes instead of class, no marketing, etc. 1 year later, 7,2 millions collected and I think they're still looking for extra investment.

Gloria Victis would be an example of how to build a MMORPG with a low budget. However the developers are based in eastern EU, I suspect that they may not necessarily get paid in the way a salaried developer would in the US and it seems unsure if this project will become a high quality MMORPG.

We will see how it plays out with CoE, but I'm not confident at all that this project is viable if it relies only on crowdfunding.

Edited by courant101

I dont think it is by deafult bad if you have a few investory in your game project besides backers from crowdfunding.

It depends on if they are the right kind of investors, leaving the freedom of creation to you.

This depends on how you write out the contracts with your investors.

The game TUG would be a good example for this here.

Tug is developed by what is called an Indie Studio.

They made a crowdfunding campaign and raised money to build their game.

Recently they said that their budget got raised by 8 million USD and that they wouldnt be able to release the game this year.

But they didnt say where this game came from or if or how it will affect the game development exactly.

http://www.gamona.de/games/wiped-die-mmo-woche,virtuelle-unverschaemtheit:black-desert-aus-trions-fehlern-gelernt:article.html

ACE is here much more transparent and open communicating with us and informing us very good about everything what is going on with the team and the company, and even explain us how the game industry evolved and explain all of this to us.

I have to say that i really really like and appreciate this, and that this is making me feel confident that crowfall will become a good game, and that it was the right thing to trust these people and support them. Because ACE is really trustworthy, because the people/devs at Crowfall are real and honest, in big opposite to the rest of the gaming industry I have to say sadly.

Edited by Urahara

I agree with you that ACE is more transparent and that investors do not necessarily equal losing creative control.

What I tried to say was that even sandbox MMORPGs take a lot of money to develop, that CoE may require many millions of dollars, based on all the ambitious features they've discussed for their game, and that crowdfunding alone will probably not be enough to achieve that.

We have seen some crowdfunded mmorpg projects getting large amount of money, like Shroud of the Avatar, but I doubt the same could happen with CoE. And even SotA seems to struggle to finish their game. As for the investors, if I'm correct the co-funders of CoE have no previous experience in the MMORPG industry and there's only 1 programmer working on the game right now (plus the co-funder). Finding investors based on this may be very difficult.

Edited by courant101

They got a good amount of attention, that alone is these days worth a lot alone.

But they also seem to have a good amount of ambition, which you of course need for a great game.

So I think they could find Investors probably.

They got a good amount of attention, that alone is these days worth a lot alone.

But they also seem to have a good amount of ambition, which you of course need for a great game.

So I think they could find Investors probably.

They can go for investors if their kickstarter failed or did success, I am going pray to be a success kickstarter so market share will be between investors and backers which the ambition of the developers to make the game happen and hopefully release as soon as it's in ready state, no rush at all and it will be a good game.

Edited by Mox

SkDJEH9.png Discord: message me if you want to stay in touch. Retired CrowFall member.