Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reider

Stalker, melee weapon?

I am not a huge fan of ranged classes, but after today's announcement anbout the Ranger having a melee combat style and since I am a fan of the Stalker's race (the Deerman looks really good), I wonder if Stalkers will have two combat styles like the Ranger does.

If that is the case, I want to propose and idea for his melee weapon.

The Rapier.

It is a trhusting weapon, just like an arrow, it is direct and elegant.

I think rapiers could fit with the Stalker really good, and would be nice to have some more sword variety instead of Two-handed sword, one handed sword and dual wielding (which could be product of two one-handed or done by dual weild sets as other games do)

You could add some slashes in the skill kit like slash to the legs to apply slow then go for the high damage thrust attacks.

This is all speculation obviously, we don't know if the Stalker will have melee combat, I just hope it does becuase then I would absolutely play Stalker, the race is awesome.

I fully expect elken Stalkers to have a melee combat mode, and likely a promotion class that specializes in melee combat (like Ranger).

The concept art for elken shows D'Orion wielding a greatsword or hand and a half as a 2o weapon.

dorion.jpg

But any archetype can wield any weapon with some facility.

I suggest fencing and Dual wield disciplines to make this happen for you.

Also a 1-handed melee weapon is reasonable and traditional for archers' back-up, if only because of the weight consideration.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

A greatsword would be possible, based on that concept art, but it doesn't seem to fit the theme of the class.

A rapier or cutlass seems to fit a swashbuckler or pirate archetype better than the Stalker. Stalkers, as they've been described so far, rely on stealth and patience.

The most likely melee weapon I can think of for them, then, would be a dagger or kris or similar. Possibly a short sword. Something that's easy to hide, gets out of the way, and is fast on the draw. Nothing flashy.

Ninja didn't run around wielding great weapons, after all. They relied on poisons, needles, wakizashi, and other easily-concealed weapons.

Formerly Scin Karetyr, a native of Chilastra in Star Wars Galaxies

Given that it's not human, I wouldn't isolate them to typical weapon arrangements, but a sword and buckler would be a smart archers sidearm.

If they used a small wooden arm shield designed to capture arrows and collect them for reuse, that would be cool.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I always found it interesting the class is listed as RDPS however the backstory paints it in a melee light. I think a larger weapon fits well into the idea; one big, clean kill shot, sort of like an execution. I don't know if I would necessarily go for an axe, but a 2H sword, or hand and a half type sword is easily imaginable. 

Sneak home and pray you'll never know the hell where youth and laughter go.

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

I hope they actually go with the idea that was pitched in the Dave Greco concept art stream. Someone suggested that the Stalker should use his bow as his melee weapon and then Dave drew up a concept of this giant long bow with a blade and hook on the end.

That would be way cooler and also separate the Stalker from the Ranger.

Edited by Zybak

I hope they actually go with the idea that was pitched in the Dave Greco concept art stream. Someone suggested that the Stalker should use his bow as his melee weapon and then Dave drew up a concept of this giant long bow with a blade and hook on the end.

That would be way cooler and also separate the Stalker from the Ranger.

I dunno... I like my Bo Staffs :P

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

I agree with spear being the most appropriate. It's the classic weapon of a hunter. A nice boar spear with a greater than average range and a skill that holds melee fighters away from you for a few seconds would be awesome.

However I think most likely they will end up with something very poor for their melee weapon, with the Ranger being the hybrid and Stalker being the more dedicated and powerful archer but lacking the option to really mix it up if something closes with them.

Edited by Vonpenguin