Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Swg (Officially Pronounced As Swig)

xcomvic

This was actually one of the bigger MMOs of its time that I totally missed out on and I regret it til this day. I can't remember what I was playing during that time specifically but it must have been pretty darn decent for me to never let me pull away to give in to my Star Wars fanatical side.

Oh and I still think SW:TOR sucked. That I did try out and I only got to the spaceship where you had to group up to advance the storyline (supposedly changed, now everything is 100% soloable), but whatever.

I might try to play it soon just to see the storyline. Because I do love Star Wars. And Star Trek. Yup, I am a Trekkie. TNG is probably my favorite with a close second for the original series/movies.

I loved it until the point everyone discovered that, to unlock the Jedi slot, you needed to grind all skills and hope you found the right combination.

it was fun for a while

but their class balance in PvP was a little off ;)

Never knew or heard of anyone that pronounced it like that. Simply said the letters S.W.G. when talking about the game.

But yeah I loved the game and to me even before the whole CU, NGE debacle it was the Jedi grind that really ruined the game.

You didn't need to grind every profession.  You could grind holocron cube drops until they told you the professions you needed to grand master or you could just gm every profession.  This would make you force sensitive then you had to go visit force sites all over the galaxy to unlock the Jedi slot.  It was pretty awesome.

Also this has to be a troll thread because I'm pretty sure no one pronounced SWG as swig, it's tagged as Star Trek too...

Edited by tokealot

That Ralph dude called it swig. Also, I did like knowing it was a very hard process to become a Jedi. It should never be as easy as completing a solo quest line and have a Lightsaber on top of some stairs waiting for you.

It wasn't really hard though. It was just a tedious grind. It turned active guilds and active PvP base/city battles into ghost towns and everyone just grinded out profs like zombies.

If they actually had a challenging and lengthy quest line to unlock that would have been great and think they did that anyways after a while but it was too late the damage was done from the grind plus CU and NGE.

I was 2 blocks away from receiving my light saber (4th tier on 1 column and the main master's column) and then a couple days later they made Jedi an immediately playable class...

Sombiches...

I left the game a week later.

I actualy think the Jedi grind was fine. Only people who really wanted it get it. Also you could die and lose the jedi.

An mmo is a living breathing world, so it's interesting to see the game evolve from no jedi's to a game with many Jedi. Except that of course never happened on my server(s)...

Edited by orious13

For me, the greatest part was the developer's unapologetic approach to the Jedi question initially.  It was something along the lines of, "yeah, there's Jedi."  Period.  No explanation, no hints, and no bending to the will of the masses.  There was a genius in that approach.  Something else, that most simply gloss over, is it gave VALUE to that experience for the players.  What did it take, like 6 or 9 months for the first player to unlock their force sensitive player slot?  Awesome.  I never did, until they unlocked it for everyone.

Want to know one of my highlights of playing SWG?  I'm gonna tell you anyway! ;)  The first time I actually saw a Jedi.  OMG, it was simply awesome.  I stood in pure reverence of the character as he simply went running by me in town.  Want to know my second thought?  I was actually a little glad that I was not him, because there were 2 or 3 bounty hunters hot on his trail.  This highlights another feature of SWG-awesomeness ... the concept of risk / reward.  I bet it was pretty damn fun to play as a Jedi before SOE cried uncle and hinted to everyone how to do it.  But, there was massive risk with being Jedi.  The perma-death / XP losses, bounties, grinding, etc.  It was an activity in game that required risk on the player's part and rewarded them in kind.

The only other MMOs I've really played are WoW, Wildstar, and EVE Online.  I'm gonna drop EVE out of this discussion because it takes risk / reward to the extreme ... though many players love that game for that specific reason too.  But take WoW and Wildstar ... where's the risk?  Oh no, I might waste my afternoon running dungeon PUGs unsuccessfully.  My repair bill is so high I could only cover the costs a thousand times over before going broke.  All my equipment is still in tact and working perfectly.  I got some upgrades, just not as many as I wanted.  I had one crafting failure in the hundred items that I made ... all of which are pretty much identical to each other and everything else the other players are making too.

Sorry, got on my soapbox there for a second.  SWG just handled so many aspects of an MMO really, really well.  How they handled the Jedi (at least initially) was no exception.

Oh, and Trekkie here too.  Probably bigger on Trek than Wars, not that you can really compare the two.  DS9 was my favorite, followed closely by TNG.  Then TOS.  VOY and ENT were garbage, though the 4th season of ENT was great, if too little too late, and the last 2.5 years of VOY were 100x better than the first 4.5, shockingly.

I even like the new movies if I turn off the critical part of my brain.  They're not really Trek, just Wars with the labels scratched off, but still a fun ride. ;)

I played it pre-CU.  I didn't play nearly enough to become a jedi, but I really did like how they made it so difficult to become one.  Becoming a bounty hunter and tracking them down from planet to planet was actually pretty fun.  I wish the game itself was a bit better PvP wise, and was more thought out, because a lot of the other concepts would have made it a real runner up to a shadowbane-like experience.  They really did a good job at making it feel open-ended, and having exploration be very interesting.

I didn't play much after the CU, but it was fun to be able to finally kill jedi's with ease on my bounty hunter.  I can understand why they all raged out.

Edited by frobobo

What's with the forum sub-title "Talk about Teräs Käsi?"

It's a Star Wars martial arts style.

There was a - really bad - Star Wars fighting game called "Masters of the Teras Kasi".  When Sony was developing SWG that filled the void of the "monk" style gameplay for hand to hand combat.

It's a Star Wars martial arts style.

There was a - really bad - Star Wars fighting game called "Masters of the Teras Kasi".  When Sony was developing SWG that filled the void of the "monk" style gameplay for hand to hand combat.

That was the games actual name? I thought it was some major screw up attempting to translate the games name to Finnish.

My close friends and myself still refer to it as "swig" to this day...

Tons of great memories.  Helping a friend hunt down an immature male mimian to tame.  They were a total beast when they grew up (and were subsequently removed from the game).  Poor Fugly (That was his name.  Don't look at me, I didn't pick it) was reduced to a vanity pet.  That and that damn bird that looked like a toucan and grew up to be the size of a gulfstream jet (Literally, also removed from the game for causing lag).

Actually, the beastmaster line was the source of quite a few shenanigans and adventures.

That and the drugs.

Cracking up

Want to know one of my highlights of playing SWG?  I'm gonna tell you anyway! ;)  The first time I actually saw a Jedi.  OMG, it was simply awesome.  I stood in pure reverence of the character as he simply went running by me in town.  Want to know my second thought?  I was actually a little glad that I was not him, because there were 2 or 3 bounty hunters hot on his trail. 

I had the same experience.  When the game started, going for Jedi was a commitment that few made and even fewer realized.  The first time I saw a Jedi in Coruscant ducking from doorway to doorway I stopped cold and then turned my toon the other way so not to give them away.  I got goosebumps.

The game was brutal for the Jedi. But there was a respect for them - both the characters and the players behind them that dedicated so much effort to get to that point. 

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.