Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Infynis

(OOC) What are your thoughts on the vessel system?

I've seen some people saying that they believe they will have a hard time connecting with their character if they have to switch bodies frequently, and others who don't seem concerned at all. Personally, I like the idea, and think it will give us the ability to develop parts of our characters' personalities that we wouldn't have otherwise. SkEyesOGrey has already taken advantage of the vessel system in their RP introduction, and I think it worked very well. I'd like to see what we all have to say about it though, as you can't really RP alone. What are your thoughts?

Well the thing is this you aren't losing your personality or who you are as a character your face/shape/body might change but what makes you you doesn't change. I think it's cool and fun but some people like being the same character and basically it seems like if you want to remain in that "vessel" you just need to stay alive.  I think it would be cool if you could pay somewhere to maybe bring a corpse back or something.

But if you are asking whether or not I think it's a good Idea I must say 50-50......... some people won't mind it but others might hate losing a character look/style that they've had for forever.  I think it would be interesting to be able to revive the corpses so to speak.

I've seen some people saying that they believe they will have a hard time connecting with their character if they have to switch bodies frequently, and others who don't seem concerned at all. Personally, I like the idea, and think it will give us the ability to develop parts of our characters' personalities that we wouldn't have otherwise. SkEyesOGrey has already taken advantage of the vessel system in their RP introduction, and I think it worked very well. I'd like to see what we all have to say about it though, as you can't really RP alone. What are your thoughts?

[OOC] Thanks for the mention, and as you can tell. I'm absolutely in love with the idea. I suspect there's going to be some pushback from a lot of folks. I mean this is not a common RP, But I think if people embrace it, it could lead to some amazing RP.

Well the thing is this you aren't losing your personality or who you are as a character your face/shape/body might change but what makes you you doesn't change. I think it's cool and fun but some people like being the same character and basically it seems like if you want to remain in that "vessel" you just need to stay alive.  I think it would be cool if you could pay somewhere to maybe bring a corpse back or something.

But if you are asking whether or not I think it's a good Idea I must say 50-50......... some people won't mind it but others might hate losing a character look/style that they've had for forever.  I think it would be interesting to be able to revive the corpses so to speak.

[OOC] For those people who really get attached to a look or a personality, I'm inclined to say go with it. I believe it was crowns and Crows (Sorry guy's I'm not as tech inclined as I once was and hunting for it/linking it's a bit out of my depth) but they indicated that we should expect to get a character customization screen similar to character creation on the activation of a new vessel.

At the same time though, I'm also under the impression much of the customization in this game is meant to be through gear/armor - which I like - but if you're super attached to that awesome looking armor? You might want to commission a backup set. Or, pull a card from the eve deck. Never wear anything you can not afford to replace. In crowfall, we're immortal crows, we've been around the block a time or two and hopefully already know that if our vessel dies, another crow is probably either stealing or destroying it.

I feel like this solves a lot of potential issues for RP-PVPers. While in other games if you want to be in a battle and role play without deleting the character or paying for a re-customization and name-change then you would have to either come out of it alive (which is hard for everyone to do- especially multiple times) OR you would have to say (most usually) that your the protagonist of the game (Example: The soul shriven 'Vestige' from ESO).

At first when I saw this I thought: **** now this is going to be weird- I don't like it!! But then I thought, well if I intend to be a combatant... now there is some real consequence that my character can suffer. For combatant characters and RP PVPers this will be really good. You really don't have to roleplaying retreating after the battle has happened or the classic -temporary- injury that goes away completely or leaves only scars.

I'm embracing it!

Second thoughts!!! I read the FAQ reveal more closely. Class tied to body? Centurion graveyard not a good place to look for elven spellweaver vessel?! Well... I think that being forced to be a different class because you lost your vessel and a centurion one is all you found could make things a bit difficult for roleplay considering you could be forced to play someone that fights in an entirely different way, a body that is not even the same species as you and... yeah that sounds a little tough.

Though it all depends on if there is a scarcity of vessels or if you can just find a human or centaur or elf vessel anywhere. ?_?

I am going to remain optimistic that class remains a choice of how I want to play and not just decided by scarcity.

Edited by CharlestheRammer

@Bevrwolf36 & CharlestheRammer

I've been looking at it differently from the two of you. I was going to completely embrace the ability to change bodies, and make it part of my RP. Crowfall has done well so far at explaining everything through lore, and so it made sense to me that your character would carry over between vessels. I look at the spiritual crow as the distillation of your character's soul and personality. I was only planning on having slight changes in personality between vessels, such as a longer temper, or hasty decision making. I was also intending to have my character refuse to inhabit vessels of the beast-man races like centaur or guinecean, even though it means I won't get to play as a Duelist. I guess it's really just up to the people you're RPing with, whether or not you include the ability to change bodies.

Edited by Infynis

I've been looking at it differently from the two of you. I was going to completely embrace the ability to change bodies, and make it part of my RP. Crowfall has done well so far at explaining everything through lore, and so it made sense to me that your character would carry over between vessels. I look at the spiritual crow as the distillation of your character's soul and personality. I was only planning on having slight changes in personality between vessels, such as a longer temper, or hasty decision making. I was also intending to have my character refuse to inhabit vessels of the beast-man races like centaur or guinecean, even though it means I won't get to play as a Duelist. I guess it's really just up to the people you're RPing with, whether or not you include the ability to change bodies.

Liked! Excellent thoughts. I had not thought about my character's bodily preference but that ought to be a big part of things.

Edited by CharlestheRammer

Personally, I'm super excited for it. 

It could open up a lot of RP avenues. I'm already excited for Crowfall RP because it breaches a landscape I haven't tackled much: Demi-god RP. Or rather "champions". But frankly, our characters are all legitimately heroes. That's a lot different from the "normal guy" I usually try to play.

Also hai Crowfall RP community, I'm back :)

You could approach the vessel system in a few different ways. You could RP as an "awakened" crow who retains his original identity, which then overrides the identity of the vessel he is currently occupying. He could, perhaps, recall the memories of the hero he has possessed to aid him in his task. You could also play your character as a composite of the various heroes he has inhabited, where no one identity has complete control. Finally, you could play as a crow who remembers nothing of their past lives, perhaps rising from death believing that their god has struck a fresh bargain with them. If we think of these options on a scale, then you could add a dynamic element to your character(s) by allowing them to explore all three modes. You could, perhaps, RP your crow as a sort of meta-consciousness which remembers everything, where you'd RP your vessel as having only tattered pieces of the truth.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

You could approach the vessel system in a few different ways. You could RP as an "awakened" crow who retains his original identity, which then overrides the identity of the vessel he is currently occupying. He could, perhaps, recall the memories of the hero he has possessed to aid him in his task. You could also play your character as a composite of the various heroes he has inhabited, where no one identity has complete control. Finally, you could play as a crow who remembers nothing of their past lives, perhaps rising from death believing that their god has struck a fresh bargain with them. If we think of these options on a scale, then you could add a dynamic element to your character(s) by allowing them to explore all three modes. You could, perhaps, RP your crow as a sort of meta-consciousness which remembers everything, where you'd RP your vessel as having only tattered pieces of the truth.

::grins:: Yeah with this system the variants of play and personalities are going to be very interesting. I'm just hoping those who were upset by it originally will give it a chance.

I think that the possibilities are bigger by far than the possible problems. I like the gravity of the vessel system, even if we have to rethink.

This is about decisions.

You can dive into one character (and appearance) without ever changing it. Just play EK and campaigns without a setting that would endanger you to loose your vessel. Such a crow might simply not know that it is free now and could possess different bodies.

With a little fantasy you can use different bodies for different charakters. Just ignore that they go by the same soul name. Or create a backgroundstory (the original souls of the different bodies overruled the "slavemaster" soul / a cooperative mastersoul allows the original souls to posess their bodies - you can play only one vessel at a time anyway). Maybe they might even find a way to let us name our bodies (would be useful for crafting and espionage, too).

The only bigger problem i see would be regarding those people who like to create huge relationship trees within their account, with a dozen characters and more, spending most game time in developing them individually. People who are so dedicated might also buy multiple accounts. I did. ;)

We all have limited time. This game provides to much possibilities to play every aspect of the game at a high end level. PvP, crafting, trading, building, roleplay, ... and all the sub-aspects - we have to choose our focus. The focus of this game is not rpg. But if ours is roleplay then we can do so. Sell your goods or services and let them pay you with packages, done. Like with anything else here, the more you want, the higher the risk or cost. 

I'm personally very excited for this. I'm an alt-o-holic. To quote Kraahk I'm one of "those people who like to create huge relationship trees within their account, with a dozen characters and more, spending most game time in developing them individually". My SWTOR account can attest to this (it's crying for the sheer number of characters). I love the idea of my characters in any game sharing the same world and interacting, but that's because I'm used to internal RP. Very rarely do I bother with group RP in MMOs because I don't need other people to play it, I just go around soloing everything. In CF, I will literally be unable to do this, because just jumping into battle, crafting items and exploring the world REQUIRES me to interact with people.

And now we can only have 1 character per account. So for me, having your physical form be a skin you can shed for another is AWESOME. I love the idea of having a character so obsessed with all forms of crafting that, every time he/she changes vessels, he explores a new branch of it. Maybe he starts out as a Forgemaster Weaponsmith, but loses that vessel and all the awesome Disciplines on it. This would be a hard blow for someone who wants nothing more than to make weapons, but for someone obsessed with learning new things, maybe he'll take on an entirely different form and learn something else, like wood-working, or cooking (if that's a thing, it's a form of crafting), or just switch to Armorsmithing or crafting Jewelry, maybe even refining gemstones themselves. If you couldn't tell, I'm looking forward to crafting. And harvesting (I'm a hoarder, so that'll definitely come into the picture somewhere!)

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

If you can't roleplay an immortal disembodied corpse-animating spirit then that's your problem as a roleplayer.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Good post Infynis.  I may just RP as a Demigod and that will solve the whole issue with switching vessels. 

Good post Infynis.  I may just RP as a Demigod and that will solve the whole issue with switching vessels. 

I'm pretty sure D'Orion is a demigod, so making your character one might not quite work with the game's lore. I can't really think of a name for what we are other than Crows. The only level I can think of that is below demigod, but still part of the same theme would be whatever dryads are, and we don't really match that roll.

I'm pretty sure D'Orion is a demigod, so making your character one might not quite work with the game's lore. I can't really think of a name for what we are other than Crows. The only level I can think of that is below demigod, but still part of the same theme would be whatever dryads are, and we don't really match that roll.

lol ok then that's out.  I guess a Crow in the Crowfall universe will have to do.  ;)

Funny enough, I was already RPing something very close to the vessel system for my character. A small pet peeve of mine is when people ignore gameplay, within their role play. So since the lore of crowfall is intentionally vague, I challenged myself to acknowledged as much of the game as possible in character. This included a ability to switch bodies at will.

Funny because when I did mention it to people I was often branded as a godmodder and now its the norm. :P