Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best Crafting System Ever?

pang

To me SWG really spoiled me for every other MMO I have played since. No other crafting system has come close to the depth and complexity that SWG crafting had. You had to search and survey for resources, they had varying degrees of quality that effected the final product. The best crafters/merchants were those who dedicated themselves to finding the best materials. It also wasn't just open a window and click a few buttons, you actually had to place gathering and manufacturing equipment down in the game world to gather and craft. Then on the other side you also had lots of freedom as a merchant to then sell your wares as you could set up shops and have vendors stocked with your products.

So to me it still holds up as the or one of the best crafting systems to date. Heres hoping Crowfall can perhaps capture a bit of that feeling.

I'm always like a broken record with my gaming buddies, "... I loved _____ about SWG!"  I'm sure they are sick of it by now.  SWG had, IMO, the best crafting and skill based progression BY FAR of any MMO.  I absolutely loved how the resources had quality, how you had to find the good stuff, how you had to experiment to make the good stuff, and how supply was limited.  It amazes me how people don't like item decay.  Yeah, you just spent X hours hacking at stuff with your sword ... it's not gonna be the same.  Oh well, you can just repair it back to perfection over and over again!  Next thing I love is a player-based economy.  I've tried EVE over and over again, but guess what ... it isn't SWG, lol.  Having crafting supply the best equipment in the game is essential, IMO.  Yeah, you should be able to get some awesome loot from raiding that top-tier difficulty dungeon ... but that should not be the only source of awesome loot.

I don't pretend to fully understand the intricacies of balancing dropped loot vs. player-created items ... but I know from experience that the way SWG handled it provided a better player experience for me.

To me SWG really spoiled me for every other MMO I have played since. No other crafting system has come close to the depth and complexity that SWG crafting had.

Truer words were never spoken. SWG was by no means a perfect game, but nothing can compare to its crafting system. It was tedious and not always the most exciting path, but boy was it rewarding in the end. Good crafters were just as well known as the great PVPers.

Combat players needed crafters for the gear, and crafters needed combat players for the business and the money. The circle of life

I was a tailor/merchant and my partner was a shipwright/architect. We had stores on every major planet, and almost all of my game time went into either gathering components or stocking vendors. Especially after the patch that enabled player cities, it was fascinating to watch where the commerce centers would arise. And that landscape would change dynamically over time -- if someone else started producing top-rated guns or armor, more vendors would cluster around that merchant. It was amazing to watch the economy unfold.

The entire game for me was the crafting and merchant system. The fighting was just what we had to do to get the stuff to make the best merchandise and to stock the store :).

No other MMO I've tried have I been able to achieve that sort of game play style for myself. My friends get tired of that fact that I will argue with my last breath that SWG was the most innovative MMO to date. Between having the pure social entertainer classes, amazing creature AI, and the crafting system, I still think SWG stands apart.

Edited by Hannah

All hail SWG! All boo LucasArts and Smedley! 

I tried EVe 2 or 3 times over the years too, but it just doesn't work for me. Too many sociopaths there. I'm hoping Crowfall can avoid making it easy for the PK'ers to get their rocks off on non combat types. I have some hope about crafting with Raph involved. #fingerscrossed

eEvERiW.jpg

All hail SWG! All boo LucasArts and Smedley! 

I tried EVe 2 or 3 times over the years too, but it just doesn't work for me. Too many sociopaths there. I'm hoping Crowfall can avoid making it easy for the PK'ers to get their rocks off on non combat types. I have some hope about crafting with Raph involved. #fingerscrossed

I still love Lucasarts.  It gave me Grim Fandango (now avail for re-release on GOG and soon on console!) and a host of great Star Wars games, though Dark Forces will probably always have the most special place in my heart.

I am looking forward to seeing how the crafting playstyle works out here. In SWG I changed professions often but most of the time I was always some sort of merchant even if it was just selling off resources. I worked with one of the top armorsmiths on my server and this time around I think I want to be the armorsmith. I am hoping they really have a social system in place in the game. I didn't really play much Shadowbane but I do find it interesting that it and SWG are the two games the devs are pushing at. I wonder what the hybrid of the two games will be? From the little info right now, a game I think I can really enjoy.

And finally, SWG has had the best crafting system in a MMO that I have played. I loved that the resources varied and there were so many types. When junk metal spawned it went to architects but when a certain stat was top tier, the weaponsmiths or armorsmiths hunted it down heavily.

High Fives and Good Times

Like most of you guys I often compared any game against SWG and lorded its crafting over anyother game. that and it system for houses and being able to decorate the houses. I  had a mayor of lvl 5 town on Briha server who was an archetect oand at one point i was playing on 3 accounts to have a charactor for each proffesion as i couldnt decide which i wanted to be. While i was never a contender for best stats for my items i liked making basic building for starting players and would give them out to newbies who completed tasks for me... including making me laugh... like the time my creature handler went to tatooine and summoned a kyate dragon behind this new player fighting a beetle set it to folloe him thn ran past spamming arghh... i like to imagine the look on that guys face then as this 20 foot tall lizard chased him around.... afterward i appologised and gave him a deed for a small house and a choice of items from one of my storage houses and helped him to learn about crafting.... after all these year i still waiting for a game that generates that type of memory and fun

IMO SWGs harvesting and crafting systems were second to none. 

I keep banging on about SWG to my current guild (the majority of whom have only played WoW or SWTOR) and they probably think I'm more than a little mad!  Comparing it to the current run to node, click to harvest, click to craft is like comparing humans to cavemen.

I could macro out any crafting skill to max. would have been perfect if they could prevent that

I actually found this to be fine. To truly craft well was more about the resources than just maxing the profession. Also getting the + to crafting implants. I can't think what they are called now but they were work to get as well.

The armorsmith that I worked with had all of it so merchanting for him was quite profitable for the two of us. I also liked that you could make plans and as long as you had all the same materials you could craft them in a factory.

For me it isn't the crafting process that really has to be in depth as long as something holds value to it. Whether it is the process or the finding of good resources or just learning what works for other players to buy. Just being a known crafter in the lands for your skills or even your customer service so people look for you by name is what has me wanting to be involved on that side of the game.

High Fives and Good Times

I actually found this to be fine. To truly craft well was more about the resources than just maxing the profession. Also getting the + to crafting implants. I can't think what they are called now but they were work to get as well.

The armorsmith that I worked with had all of it so merchanting for him was quite profitable for the two of us. I also liked that you could make plans and as long as you had all the same materials you could craft them in a factory.

For me it isn't the crafting process that really has to be in depth as long as something holds value to it. Whether it is the process or the finding of good resources or just learning what works for other players to buy. Just being a known crafter in the lands for your skills or even your customer service so people look for you by name is what has me wanting to be involved on that side of the game.

Yeah for me only time i macro'd in SWG was when I wanted to lvl a new Profession because lets be honest leveling up a crafting profession in SWG was soul crushing tedious. But yeah you're correct in the notion that the actual gathering and also maintaining of your gathering and manufacturing equipment was the real gem of the system.

Edited by pang

Best crafting system ever?  

Yes, by far, hands down, without equal.  I didnt' get much time in as a crafter before the combat upgrades and had no reason to play after said 'upgrades' (lmao).  So, i'm no crafting expert, but i remember the market and contracting with crafters for equipment from resources.  Surveyor and Bounty Hunter here.  Still cry a little when confronted with the loss of pre-cu SWG.

Getting your hands on 5000 units of the best spawn of some ore on the server for at least 5 years makes those materials pretty expensive, then add 10 other materials of the same quality, plus some krayt enhancements in order to built the best weapon buildable so far. Luckily 3 of those crafted weapons were better then the rest and then it comes to slicing, and damn i need it speed sliced ... leaves just 1 out of 10, and this one is decaying with every shot you deal. But however this gun makes descent advantage compared to all other weapons ingame, so every single shot fired is more fun then anything else i´ve ever experienced in any other mmo since that days.

If only i was so clever to survey for more then 5k units that day out on Tatooine ^^

Anyone else came to this situation in life once in a while? Nah sry, that was just a game :)

Cheers

If I could have everything from this game; I would want a crafting system like SWG, combined with Campaign mechanics that supported crafters heavily within campaigns.

Entice crafters to join pure-pvp campaigns by making them so sought after they are pretty much fought over within certain campaigns! I like the idea of fighting over player-resources which would essentially turn into VIP players who had bodyguards assigned to them else they would get captured.

While the crafting system was excellent, it was the resourcing that set it apart.

Obviously with statistical complexities of the resources, the crafting system was designed to play into that... but without that crazy level of resourcing, the uniqueness and temporary nature of both the resources and the items that were made with them... those systems also created the best in-game economy we've ever seen as well.

I genuinely don't believe we'll see another MMO with a resourcing system like SWG.  I wish we would... it was marvelous.