Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Impossible to select text (website)

In general, the things that are informational, like the FAQs, Newsletter, and legal documents should all be open to select and copy. But most other text, ie: stuff that is mainly creative content like archetype backstories, is deliberately not copyable. 

I can see on the site that some of the FAQs are broken. 

I'll fix the ones I see, but if you spot others, please let me know which ones.

Thanks!

Ed Zavada, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

But most other text, ie: stuff that is mainly creative content like archetype backstories, is deliberately not copyable.

I think it's rather pointless to add that 'protection'. I put protection in quotes, because it's prevents nothing. It only annoys people. If we want to copy text we still can. Like others already pointed out you can copy it from the source code or just make a screenshot.

3rd Party wiki's already have all that info as well. Sorry, but I just don't see the point of all this. In the end it's your decision though.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

The General category in English was the only place in the FAQs I found this. All the rest appeared to already be selectable. And General should be fixed now too.

Let me know if you all find any other FAQs or things that are still broken.

I strongly disagree with this design choice.

By breaking expected web behaviors on your website, you inconvenience your large numbers of legitimate users, while failing to achieve your goal of protecting your content.

I have confirmed that I can get plaintext of the "unselectable" text of of "Maeve, Empress of the Sea" via three completely separate methods:

View Source

A Greasemonkey re-enabler script

Screenshot + free online OCR

If you're going to put content on the web for people to view - in any format - you have to accept that that content is going to end up in the hands of anyone who wants it. Fighting against that reality will not change anything and will disrupt the people who you want to be viewing your content.

Why in the world would you want to "protect" this content anyway? Anyone going to the trouble of reposting your content is increasing your brand's reach.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I strongly disagree with this design choice.

By breaking expected web behaviors on your website, you inconvenience your large numbers of legitimate users, while failing to achieve your goal of protecting your content.

I have confirmed that I can get plaintext of the "unselectable" text of of "Maeve, Empress of the Sea" via three completely separate methods:

View Source

A Greasemonkey re-enabler script

Screenshot + free online OCR

If you're going to put content on the web for people to view - in any format - you have to accept that that content is going to end up in the hands of anyone who wants it. Fighting against that reality will not change anything and will disrupt the people who you want to be viewing your content.

Why in the world would you want to "protect" this content anyway? Anyone going to the trouble of reposting your content is increasing your brand's reach.

It's not about protecting the content from being copied, it's about protecting the aesthetics of the site from errant mouse clicks and gestures, especially in places like the front page where you can use mouse or touch gestures to scroll content. Having the browser decide to highlight text instead (or in addition to) scrolling really makes it look ugly.

Because of the way the content creation happens, it's been easier to just set up an overall "no user select" rule and override it for the specific things where people clearly need to copy the content. Sounds like the backstory stuff should be in that list too.

What else should be that isn't?

Thanks for the clarification - that makes more sense than the impression I got from your first post.

I would suggest that all the text content of all news/blog posts should be selectable. You never know what bit of language someone's going to want to quote.

I can understand your logic of making the main page and other non-text-oriented pages non-selectable in a touchscreen world, but any Wall of Text posts should be easily quotable.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Thanks for the clarification - that makes more sense than the impression I got from your first post.

I would suggest that all the text content of all news/blog posts should be selectable. You never know what bit of language someone's going to want to quote.

I can understand your logic of making the main page and other non-text-oriented pages non-selectable in a touchscreen world, but any Wall of Text posts should be easily quotable.

I quote backstories, faq's, etc. all... the... time...

The ability to do so is much more important than errant highlight boxes making the page look less pretty.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

It's not about protecting the content from being copied, it's about protecting the aesthetics of the site from errant mouse clicks and gestures, especially in places like the front page where you can use mouse or touch gestures to scroll content. Having the browser decide to highlight text instead (or in addition to) scrolling really makes it look ugly.

Because of the way the content creation happens, it's been easier to just set up an overall "no user select" rule and override it for the specific things where people clearly need to copy the content. Sounds like the backstory stuff should be in that list too.

What else should be that isn't?

EVERYWHERE. The exception should only be for those VERY FEW parts on the front page that have animation. There is ZERO benefit to the user (that's us the paying clients) to be manhandled by a website. Unless you have specific animations you want to highlight or it's for security reasons the other 99% of the site needs to be copy/paste-able. 

If this is just a bug during this upgrade/web refinement then we'll be patient. 

Was this decision based on a gut feeling, or legitimate user research? Do you have other sites of size, repute, and general user acceptance that have done this to reference as a basis for emulation? Did you explore any alternatives, such as improved site design? Do you at least have more than a handful of actual crowfall.com user complaints to justify this?

I won't presume to know what process resulted in this decision, but the considerable breadth and depth of my professional experience suggests that this is a stab in the dark, and an errant one at that.

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.