Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Navtyr

Will you use more than one account?

Will you use more than one account?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Will you use more than one account?

• Yes, i already bought more than one (and will use them myself)
    • I will use the second key that came with my CE
    • No (comment why)
    • I am honestly thinking about buying another one
    • I will wait for more info about skill progression

this mutli-account thing seems to be blown way out of proportion here...

There hasn't been a single MMO where multiple accounts didn't mean an advantage. It will be the same here... no 2 ways about it.

ACE will not punish people that give them additional money... please stop acting like multi accounts is "a problem that can be solved".

Look at all the angles and stop the whining... seriously

this mutli-account thing seems to be blown way out of proportion here...

There hasn't been a single MMO where multiple accounts didn't mean an advantage. It will be the same here... no 2 ways about it.

ACE will not punish people that give them additional money... please stop acting like multi accounts is "a problem that can be solved".

Look at all the angles and stop the whining... seriously

It gets blown out of proportion from all sides as well. There's also people trying to say that the only way to be competitive or even viable is to multi account.

Like I said earlier in the thread I'm confident ACE isn't that stupid that they would make a PvP game where you had to buy the game multi times to be viable.

It gets blown out of proportion from all sides as well. There's also people trying to say that the only way to be competitive or even viable is to multi account.

Like I said earlier in the thread I'm confident ACE isn't that stupid that they would make a PvP game where you had to buy the game multi times to be viable.

If I may expound on this slightly.

In the words of Rudyard Kipling, "For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack."

We are looking at this issue as if it was in a vacuum. Sure in a 1v1 scenario an account with more options would be much more apt to win. The problem with that thinking is that there will be very few times you will truly fight a 1v1 battle. Even the Dregs, though that is based on singular combat, will have it's moments where a temporary alliance will be made between player X and Y to take down player Z.

Now when we jump the a Guild vs Guild environment, the advantage is diminished further as you have more players who are filling in the roles (and the holes in your weaknesses) around you. Collectively the bigger you are, the less deficiencies you have. To compound this, as those from Shadowbane know, no guild stands too strong by themselves. With alliances made you now have trade between groups and mutual defense pacts even further diminishing an individual's weakness.

However, now the inverse becomes true. "the kingdom was lost. And all for the want of a horseshoe nail." I could write another 2 paragraphs on that, but I think I will pass, unless some jackdaw comes around and can't understand basic economy, strategic theory 101, and how society functions as a whole.

"Through the travail of ages, midst the pomp and toils of war, have I fought and strove and perished, countless times among the stars.
As if through a glass and darkly, the age old strife I see, when I fought in many guises and many names, but always me."

^ Such truth! I mean, sure, you can passivel train 3 times the skills. But, there's still stuff you can only do while online and actively playing. If two players each have 3 hours to play each night, and Player A has 1 account while Player B has 3 (and all his time is split evenly, for example's sake), then for any activity Player A spends 3 hours on, Player B can only spend 1 hour.

Or, put another way, for every 24 hours of work (be it smiting, looting, crafting, exploring, etc.) Player A can do, Player B can still only perform 24 hours of work. And, as Brokienheart pointed out, 3 different players can accomplish the same amount of work more efficiently than one player with 3 accounts.

The only thing you're tripling is time-based passive skill progression, and I possibly campaign rewards if you can manage 3 winning performances alongside one another.

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

ACE more or less copied the EVE system.  

An EVE player without a second account is doing it wrong. Even with the 1B isk PLEX prices.

I am just wildly speculating with the rest, but yeah, I think a significant % will want to realize the benefits of multiple accts in a passive skill gain system.

Edited by angelmar

ACE more or less copied the EVE system.  

An EVE player without a second account is doing it wrong. Even with the 1B isk PLEX prices.

I am just wildly speculating with the rest, but yeah, I think a significant % will want to realize the benefits of multiple accts in a passive skill gain system.

Then if that pans out to be true, " . . . without a second account is doing it wrong." . . .

. . . that would be disappointing in the structure of the game.

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

I plan to have several accounts logged in at the same time to assist in dupes and cheats.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

I plan to have several accounts logged in at the same time to assist in dupes and cheats.

Don't forget the hacks and scams, too.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

This is a late reply, but i couldn't resist. Also thanks for everyone's input on this.

Eventually my account WILL start to be more versatile as I will start other skill trees for the more rare vessels I find and learn the playstyles and am active vs passive in training (being logged in).  In the end I will be switching vessels on the fly for the needs of my group while you will go through loading screens, etc...   not as efficient.   I will have one account and grind skills up into advancement archetypes vessels found, grind those skills up and then about 4 months in start to grind up skills for an alternate vessel I either found and banked or that my guild really needs for group synergy.

I'm afraid your claim on being able to switch vessels on the fly is simply invalid and i'm not sure what you're trying to say about 'grinding' skills, since so far there's not anything confirmed about active skill gain yet, unless you call passive skill gain grinding.

To comment your first sentence, the debate was never against 1 account being less versatile than multiple accounts. It was about the fact that each of those 3 accounts will be stronger in a single situation than that 1 'versatile' account. In practice, that means 1 account spread equally over 3 trees will be 1/3 the strength of each specialized account, and in no single place and time you will benefit from being spread over all 3, since knowing how to craft iron boots won't help you heal more or hit harder with a sword. 

This doesn't prevent a 'combat' account from investing a bit in exploration as well for the sake of versatility. But for sure any points invested into crafting on this account would be a waste.
With current given information, the general logical consensus seems to be:

• if you are not bothered to min/max and are okay with your skills being spread over multiple trees, stick with one account.
  • If you want to invest heavily in only one of these: combat, crafting or exploration, stick with one account.
  • If you want to invest heavily into multiple of these: combat, crafting or exploration, focus on each of these on a different account.
Edited by Navtyr

Welcome the hunger

Todd is Love, Todd is Life.

• if you are not bothered to min/max and are okay with your skills being spread over multiple trees, stick with one account.
  • If you want to invest heavily in only one of these: combat, crafting or exploration, stick with one account.
  • If you want to invest heavily into multiple of these: combat, crafting or exploration, focus on each of these on a different account.

Well, in Eve you can do all of that with one account, just not in the first year.  I do plan on having 2 or 3 accounts in the beginning.  A main character and then a spy.  In the beginning, you can be a jack of all trades if your guild is big enough.  Supporting your weaknesses.are what guildmates are for.

This is a late reply, but i couldn't resist. Also thanks for everyone's input on this.

I'm afraid your claim on being able to switch vessels on the fly is simply invalid and i'm not sure what you're trying to say about 'grinding' skills, since so far there's not anything confirmed about active skill gain yet, unless you call passive skill gain grinding.

To comment your first sentence, the debate was never against 1 account being less versatile than multiple accounts. It was about the fact that each of those 3 accounts will be stronger in a single situation than that 1 'versatile' account. In practice, that means 1 account spread equally over 3 trees will be 1/3 the strength of each specialized account, and in no single place and time you will benefit from being spread over all 3, since knowing how to craft iron boots won't help you heal more or hit harder with a sword. 

This doesn't prevent a 'combat' account from investing a bit in exploration as well for the sake of versatility. But for sure any points invested into crafting on this account would be a waste.

With current given information, the general logical consensus seems to be:

Pretty sure that the devs already directly said that the "passive" skill system, meaning that skills level up by use will have a higher gain rate when playing than when logged off...  with this premise, UNLESS you are multi-boxing and working all three accounts actively, my one account will max skills at least up to my best and favorite PvP vessel's max and in downtimes from PvP I will be online crafting with my best crafting vessel...   if you are not online doing something the rate of gain is slower...  if you are a backer, you will have several going at the background rate and one going at an increased rate for what you are specifically doing in the world.  Even multi-boxing and trying to have all of your accounts in the correct vessel and "doing" something is not easy...  i still think one account active for my 10 hours a day playtime at launch will outpace any multi-accounts considering that once I hit my best vessels max limit on a skill, I am going to switch skills and even vessels to maximize my efficiency...  we are NOT going to have vessels that don't cap skills pretty low right off.

I did get that the latest says vessel swap will be less than instant, probably have to go visit my vault is all...   probably the same thing that applies to getting out of a vessel that is imported into a CW and then occupying a vessel in my IK Castle to mess with crafting and my vendors or go visiting/shopping at other IK areas.

I don't think our whole crow account is locked into a CW, just the vessels and gear imported...  not sure yet if resources gathered for export will have to sit in the export vault until the CW ends...

My crow account will have 3 skills gaining at the slower rate and 1 skill at a faster rate for what I skill I am actually using and not just being online I believe...  correct me if I am wrong here, I know that the 3 skills in the background must be general skills and not archetype specific, that one is only gaining when in use?  or when online in that archetype?  That is the key question to whether having 3 accounts for 3 archetypes is worth it...   hard to 3 box without keycloning and that doesn't work unless all three archetypes are the same...  If all you have to do is log-in and stand there for the faster gain rate then I misunderstand JTodd's whole premise of passive skill gain being "USE of a skill levels it up" and not "stand there doing nothing levels up a chosen skill"  In the second case multiple accounts WILL be valuable, in the former case, not so much.

Don't get me wrong that I think second accounts/multiboxing will not have value...   I.e. buffbots, healbots, summonbots had huge roles in SB but I don't know of many who can actively play two boxes at the same time and keep them both doing things and not standing there for minutes at a time, particularly if you are PvPing on one of them.

I am a believer in Artcraft as a company by and for us gamers, we are the stakeholders and investors and in that view I do not see the devs working toward sales profits and selling multi-accounts to each of us over them making us all feel one account is all we really need to play and play well.

Imagine Shadowbane as Wolfpack only, no UBI

Imagine Archeage as XL games only, No Trion

THIS is what we are buying into...   a game run by gamers and the developers with NO overlord corporation wrecking it!  No subscription, no gift boxes, no PtW whales...   all the things that drive me away.  Huzzah!

Edited by Frykka

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

There was a bit too much of what? in your post that made me unsure of what to quote or answer, but i'll try.

I've never heard of the idea that being online would increase the passive training speed. That would be silly, since then everyone would keep their pcs online just to gain xp faster, thus defeating the point of passive training.

And yes, crows aren't locked in the worlds, only items. Of course that also means the items you gathered inside that world. Amount of export then depends if you won or not.

Multiboxing is besides the point.

"i still think one account active for my 10 hours a day playtime at launch will outpace any multi-accounts"

It seems you're not on the same page. The pacing is the same, this is about general skills being crow based and multi-accounts can each focus on maxing a single tree compared to one account spreading thin over all.

Welcome the hunger

Todd is Love, Todd is Life.

Going with one account, I see the advantages of having more, but I'm not hard core enough to need that edge. I'm not going to be that top 5% in the leaderboards so why bother when I can find someone else in the game to cover for where I'm lacking.

Simply coordinating with another player/s creates about as much advantages, so all I need is a little social interaction and I'm covered. Saves me the money and time of having to mess with multiple accounts

Edited by Zomnivore

Pretty sure that the devs already directly said that the "passive" skill system, meaning that skills level up by use will have a higher gain rate when playing than when logged off!

You have completely reversed the meanings of "passive" and "active".

If you are using untrained skills, those skills will rise during active use, up to a relatively low ceiling.

Once you reach "basic competence" with a skill you cannot raise it further through active training. If you want to reach your vessel's skill caps in any skill you can only do so through passive training, which is purely time based and has no active use component.

And that's assuming that the active training feature has survived the recent skill system changes; that hasn't been confirmed.

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I will have 2 accounts. My girlfriend likes playing with me a couple times a week so I'll be using her account as my alt... I guess using it as a crafting account if that's forced upon us?

The Shipwreaked Pirates

Hail to The King Baby.

One account because I'd rather play a game in my spare time than micromanage the metagame to have a statistical edge.

The rage people have when confronted with the knowledge they won't be able to be statistically the-best at every aspect of the game is astounding.

I will have 2 accounts. My girlfriend likes playing with me a couple times a week so I'll be using her account as my alt... I guess using it as a crafting account if that's forced upon us?

Crafting will not be forced upon you. Supplying your characters will be forced upon you. Craft the stuff, or do something else useful in exchange for the stuff, or yank the stuff off corpses. It's up to you. Now... If NO ONE in a given campaign on a given team crafts anything, then you're probably in trouble. Also, I guess maybe in the Dregs you'd have a hard time working with others who wouldn't just kill or otherwise betray you.

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

I already have a guild, but let me introduce you to this guy Kujo Fatfinger.  He is super awesome, casual player wants to do some crafting.  Is looking for a friendly guild and working his way up the command chain.

Hi Kujo! Here's a guild invite and here's full permissions on the guild storage since you're going to be crafting for us.

We can trust you're not a spy, right? ;)

Tully