Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How much should promotion classes vary?

Infynis

This is something that has been a problem in other threads, but has never been discussed directly as far as I know. The question I'd like to ask is what should we base the changes off of? Are we looking at the Confessor as just a fire mage, and so you can promote to something like a dragon mage (keep in mind that I'm not suggesting disciplines, so my examples will not be fantastic), or are we saying that they have to stick to the religious vibe? Would a summoner or necromancer discipline be impossible because it doesn't stick to the priest theme? I think this is an important question if we're going to be recommending disciplines.

SR8DSig_Infynis.png

I'm not likely going to play a confessor, but I think this is a really important question, so I'll comment here!  Initially, devs hinted at promotion classes being quite drastic changes from the archetype and from each other.  They since hedged a little saying that it is unlikely that the 'role' will change much.  I am hoping they swing back to role changes a bit: for the confessor: a fire mage at distance (like SB), a close range lava burner (more like CF), and a mid range DoT class could work?

I guess I'd like to not necessarily know that when I see a confessor, this is what they do and how I counter.  I want some question marks to always be present (unless I know the character).  Those question marks don't have to be promotion class based only (i.e. skill training making a difference), but knowing the characters role based solely on their outward appearance is pretty simple, IMO.  I recognize that most games function that way, but without tab targeting (appearance based class IDing), promotion class difference would be really exciting.

Edited by mctan

I think there will be lots of variance between archetypes... some archetypes may have promotion classes that are pretty similar in feel... some may have promotion classes that vary dramatically in style and feel...

I'd like to them vary a lot... they should have very distinct and unique feels to them.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Yeah, they already spoke on this and changed their mind. Originally you were intended to customize your archetype to the point where promotion classes would merge roles with promotion classes from other archetypes. They retracted that feature when they started creating classes and said they would remain isolated to their original role.

It's a rather large subtraction that was kinda brushed off. I'd rather they launch the game with no promotions at all, then bring them in later when the opportunity is available to deeply alter role with promotion classes.

Edited by bahamutkaiser

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

This is something that has been a problem in other threads, but has never been discussed directly as far as I know. The question I'd like to ask is what should we base the changes off of? Are we looking at the Confessor as just a fire mage, and so you can promote to something like a dragon mage (keep in mind that I'm not suggesting disciplines, so my examples will not be fantastic), or are we saying that they have to stick to the religious vibe? Would a summoner or necromancer discipline be impossible because it doesn't stick to the priest theme? I think this is an important question if we're going to be recommending disciplines.

Promotion or sub classes should never really fundamentally change the base class, IMO.  While trinity roles, tank, DPS, heals, might change, you want to avoid I think bleeding too much into the other classes. Archetypes need to feel unique and different from each other, otherwise class choice becomes just cosmetic and not a very meaningful choice. In a game built upon meaningful choices and actions this point is very important for CF.

The reason why they changed promotions class was as they said because they found them to be merging too much into the other classes so they went back to the drawing board on that system. It was a good move, IMO subclass should be an additive to the base class not something that completely changes it and trivializes class choice.

All confessors are confessors. Promotions are just specializations within that base class; you don't stop being a confessor and your fundamental combat role doesn't change.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully