Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Discuss: Community Resources forum area?

The discussion about FAQs gave me an apostrophe. It would be a significant enough change that I felt compelled to start a discussion about it so that everything is above board and above the suspicion of impropriety. 

I would like to create a new forum area called "Community Resources" to be the home of community-led efforts for creating guides and other resources, such as Elvine's Alpha / Beta Streamer Directory and Handies' Compilation of Crowfall Pictures

To help keep the resources area organized and useful, I would like to give very limited moderator abilities to a couple of volunteers that I've already spoken with about it and who have agreed to help out. [if/when we do pull the trigger on this, I'll announce their names publicly.]

I want to be crystal clear about what these very limited moderator abilities will and won't allow them to do. 

They can: 

• Edit topics and posts in the "Community Resources" forum only
  • Hide posts in the "Community Resources" forum only
  • Lock/unlock threads  in the "Community Resources" forum only
  • Change the "answered/unanswered" status of a thread  in the "Community Resources" forum only
  • Move threads from the  in the "Community Resources" forum to other forums (but not vice versa) 

They cannot: 

• See another user's IP address or warning history
  • Access the Moderator's or Admin's Control Panel (which includes the Report Center of new and old reports) 
  • Delete a post or thread
  • Move threads from other areas of the forum to "Community Resources" 
  • Access another user's account or account information
  • Issue warnings, warning points, suspensions or bans

Please share your thoughts--pros and cons--about this. 

I think the idea is great! That forum section could use a better name, though. "Community Guides" would be good, I think. Resources sounds a lot more like a modding forum.

KjUVOZg.png

Hafjoldr - Veteran Member

Why are you asking for our input and approval? You've learned exactly the wrong lessons from previous cockups. Make sure you have solid principles, objective understanding of the community, and skill in fostering productive engagement; then be decisive and make the changes that you determine are best based on the preceding list of prerequisites. If you want feedback, accept it after the fact and be willing to change your mind.

The reason there's been so much angst and rancor in the past is because you've inconsistently flitted between collaboration and authoritarianism. There are no clear expectations that you actually bear out. Stop asking for input and start doing the right things, which includes acknowledging when something isn't right and changing it.

It's not only your prerogative to appoint moderators; it's your job. Just do it and stop asking our permission. This isn't a knitting club.

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.

Here's the #1 con to this idea: effective "resource repositories" are just that: repositories.  They are not forums.

Without the ability for the community to rate guides, lists, compilations, etc, it'll quickly become irrelevant.  No one of any reputable skill is going to make a guide that just gets buried by 30 other threads within 10 minutes.

Here's the #1 con to this idea: effective "resource repositories" are just that: repositories.  They are not forums.

Without the ability for the community to rate guides, lists, compilations, etc, it'll quickly become irrelevant.  No one of any reputable skill is going to make a guide that just gets buried by 30 other threads within 10 minutes.

It's not the most elegant solution for sure, but my hope is that by having a dedicated forum area for these types of resources and a group of people who actively keep it organized, it will at least tide us over until we can create something better. 

That forum section could use a better name, though. "Community Guides" would be good, I think. Resources sounds a lot more like a modding forum.

Yeah, it could use a better name. I think "Guides" may be as limiting as "Resources", though, since it won't have guides only but also lists of streamers, YouTube channels, etc. (Completed FAQs will get added to the FAQ section of the website.) 

until we can create something better.

When will that be?

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.

It's not the most elegant solution for sure, but my hope is that by having a dedicated forum area for these types of resources and a group of people who actively keep it organized, it will at least tide us over until we can create something better. 

If you are still using IP.Boards, they do actually have a db concept in their offerings that allow for rating and sorting and all that jazz.  Might be worth looking into.

I would point out that the other "Community Projects" forum is almost completely dead and filled with unused/non-updated/inactive content.

Assigning moderators to that forum wouldn't change that and there simply is not enough "Resources" out there to warrant their own forum.  Arguments could be made that the forum is too fragmented already and should instead be consolidated in order to encourage more cross conversations about topics.

Lastly, the best idea for a new forum would be one in which you title and label blatantly, possibly even with a pop-up, explaining that it will operate under seperate forum rules with a separate team of moderators.

Forum Title: Crowfall Wargrounds
Forum Permissions: All registered users can read/respond.  All Backers can create new threads/polls

Forum Rules: 

1. ABSOLUTELY NO "Not Safe For Work" content- defined
  2. NO Illegal Content- defined
  3. NO Doxxing- defined
  4. No Excessive spamming of forums- Not defined

Forum Penalties:

1. First WP- Assigned usergroup that creates a 5 minute delay between how often you post
  2. Second WP- 1 Week Suspension from all forum activity
  3. Third WP- 3 Month Forum Ban

Moderator Team:

1. Restricted to 3 ACTIVE moderators
  • First moderator is determined by ACE
  • Second moderator is a public vote within the Wargrounds
  • Third moderator is a public vote from the community outside the Wargrounds

To assign the 2nd WP and 3rd WP, the moderator team must reach a 2/3rds vote.

Forum Title: Crowfall Wargrounds

We're not adding a forum like that for all the reasons we've stated in all the times something like that has been requested. 

This thread is about creating an area of the forum for living, perpetual works-in-progress like FAQs, guides and so forth. 

This thread is about creating an area of the forum for living, perpetual works-in-progress like FAQs, guides and so forth. 

It would be better to have no forum like that while you build the proper functionality into the website, than to create a forum like that and let it be an excuse to delay creating the proper functionality.

We're not adding a forum like that for all the reasons we've stated in all the times something like that has been requested. 

I understand that you still do not see the value in that forum, and I brought it up because the community itself asked for that yet you are proposing a new forum that to this point there are not enough resources to even fill.  I also pointed to the forum, more accurately named "Crows of a Feather", which I believe serves as an indicator for the likely success of this newly proposed forum.

The community activity overall is not capable of supporting "living, perpetual works-in-progress" and FAQ's/Guides would be rendered mostly pointless due to the frequency of developmental changes that reduce those to antiquated information.

For reasons you've stated in all the times that something like this has been requested, you should offload these things to the player community to operate and manage.  If you want this site to become a hub for information, you would need to rethink some of the earlier decisions about what level of player interaction you want to support via the forums.  Assigning people to moderate this forum would lead you directly back to the same issues you've had since your first round of moderators.  I think you'd avoid those issues only because of my earlier statement, that there's not enough content to warrant it anyway.

Yeah, it could use a better name. I think "Guides" may be as limiting as "Resources", though, since it won't have guides only but also lists of streamers, YouTube channels, etc. (Completed FAQs will get added to the FAQ section of the website.) 

You can always use both :) The idea of naming it "Crowfall Guides" was simply so that new players to this game and/or the MMO genre wouldn't think it's a modding forum. "Guides and Community Resources" accomplishes both that and comprehensively explaining what the forum is about.

EDIT: Although I guess simply calling it "Community Resources" would work... For some reason I read Crowfall instead of Community.

Edited by Hafjoldr

KjUVOZg.png

I'm not in here to just argue for the sake of arguing.   I will use Elvine's list of streamers as an example.  How is that useful to anyone? A very large number of them don't actually stream Crowfall regularly, if at all.  That's not a shot taken at Elvine in any manner... but that's the issue you will run into with every thread.  Then when your moderators start removing people, you'll get to deal with complaints over their modifications.

Yeah, you can do this, but it's just creating work that does not provide any return on investment for you or the community at large.

You can always use both :) The idea of naming it "Crowfall Guides" was simply so that new players to this game and/or the MMO genre wouldn't think it's a modding forum.

Why do you associate the word "resources" with modding? It is a pretty general purpose word.

IhhQKY6.gif

Why do you associate the word "resources" with modding? It is a pretty general purpose word.

Not sure... maybe I spent too much time in Elder Scrolls games. But back on topic, Valor may be right about this being too soon for a community resources forum section.

KjUVOZg.png