Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

The fun, yet gruesome, facts about vessels - Official discussion thread

MMORPG: Can players flip back and forth at will from vessel to vessel during a campaign?

JTC: At will, no. Can they change within a campaign? Absolutely.

MMORPG: Can players switch between their chosen bodies at will, since they're inventory items? They just equip and unequip like a suit of armor?

JTC: No, there is some friction involved in changing vessels, it's not something that you can do instantaneously.

Thank God. Imho they should be only changeable near a bank or somewhere safe, away from combat.

y9tj8G5.png

Well I think it's usually only a problem if people can instantly log.

True enough, but it will still be used by Alt+f4'ing if you get in trouble.

Right now you can crash out of the game and as long as your character hasn't been slain or died to the Hunger you can log back in and keep playing. Just wanting to confirm that it may be planned.

Edit: by this I mean your characters stands (or runs off in a random direction if you were hold down w) in the game while you are rebooting and your team mates can see this going on.

Edited by Kiro Elmarok

[TB] The Balance
Nation of Equilibrium

Allowing players to scavenger parts from more rare vessels

I would really like more info on this.

When you say "more rare", how big of a difference will that be? If we start using the blizztard color coding system, I'm out, and that's serious. I am not "farming for purples" I don't care how cool your game is. I'm guessing you're not going this way, but I have to ask. You've said over and over that it won't be the most heavily weighted thing to your character's ability to play, but how heavily weighted is it? It can be not the most but still be completely necessary to have the best stuff. More info please. And I know the numbers aren't final yet, just more conceptual info please.

And will "rarity" be decided by anything other than difficulty to acquire? You've said no boss mobs, and that's good, but all this talk of rare vessels makes me feel like we're backsliding. Like we'll be farming either a mob or a location because we know that's where the "best" stuff is for that band. I'd prefer something like levels of quality/difficulty radiating out from the "safe zones" in each campaign, in addition to the scale of the campaign bands. Can we have more conceptual info here too?

I just do not want to play another game where "purples" are the goal more than having fun.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

Still wondering if vessels will be persistent when players log out.

Combat logging is an issue in other pvp games.

You're talking to the guys who developed Shadowbane and UO. Give them some credit. 

Of course vessels will stay logged in for a period of time (30 seconds or so) upon logout or disconnection otherwise that would negate the risk factor of the higher risk campaigns. 

On the topic of switching vessels I think you should have to go to some kind of altar or something to perform a ritual to switch from one vessel to the other. There should also be some decay to the vessel you left behind. Not as bad as death, but somewhere between death and zero penalty. 

Follow Up questions:

1. What % of time will be spent in the preparatory systems as opposed to being a capable participant in PvP?

2. While a "flatter than most" power curve is welcome, how will power curves affect the effectiveness of a new player, playing a melee class, in excellent gear/vessel against a veteran player, playing a ranged class, when in melee combat?

3. What results from a destroyed vessel when the player is unable to reach a graveyard due to it being controlled by other players?

We expect a thriving economy of vessels and vessel components to give players who don't want to brave those worlds a way to stay competitive. ​*They will just have to specialize in another good or service so that they have something of value to trade.*​

What will the players in the riskier bands possibly want from the players in God's Reach?  Considering there isn't import in the high-risk bands, what do players within the dregs actually want from these other players to generate an economy, especially when the best stuff is already in the Dregs?  An economy has to have bargaining power on both sides to function.

Edited by theDoctor

When you say "more rare", how big of a difference will that be? If we start using the blizztard color coding system, I'm out, and that's serious.

<snip>

Like we'll be farming either a mob or a location because we know that's where the "best" stuff is for that band.

Funny how many associations people have with something so simple as color-coded rarity levels.

Just because rarity levels are color coded does not mean you will be grinding PvE to get the stuff.

If there is no concept of rarity then the economy will be dull indeed. Do things need to be color coded to be rare? No. Does color coding them make a game more grindy? No.

I wish people would be a bit less heavy-handed about protesting everything that reminds them of WoW. That game incorporated almost everything from the MMORPG scene, so if it was done before, it was done in WoW.

Call it farming if you like, but you will be holding POIs to gather the stuff you want, not grinding mobs. Rarity and color coding doesn't change the fact that the way you get good stuff in this game is to compete with other players for it.

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

On the issue of storing vessels, I think instead of putting them in a traditional bank, have graveyards/catacombs that function similarly to a bank as storage. So instead of clicking on a banker NPC or a bank vault you would click on a caretaker or click on a tomb within a graveyard/catacomb.  

On the issue of storing vessels, I think instead of putting them in a traditional bank, have graveyards/catacombs that function similarly to a bank as storage. So instead of clicking on a banker NPC or a bank vault you would click on a caretaker or click on a tomb within a graveyard/catacomb.  

meh, that's just semantics

more work for no real benefit...

My Questions:

• Do you have an inventory in the Crow Form? If so, are you able to pick up items, trade with other players? If not read below
  • If you cannot carry items in Crow Form, presumably you will always, resurrect naked, will this not put you at great risk until you are able to re-equip?
  • If GYs are contested POIs, won't rez'ing naked, be very unfeasible?  Especially given the varying methods for picking and re-equip a vessel, won't this lead to people trickling through GYs and being easily picked-off? Can you freely communicate and coordinate while in Crow Form?
  • If a friend picks up your vessel when you die how will they give it back to you, without you first equipping another vessel?  I am assuming you must first be in a vessel to be able to receive items from other players. 
  • Does equipment remain on vessels as if they are containers like bags? 
  • How do you switch from one vessel to another with items in your inventory?  If you exit a vessel (that has an inventory), and return to crow form (w/o an inventory?), what happens to the items in your inventory before jumping back into a vessel?
  • If GYs are separated by archetype or race and are controllable POIs, is it possible some GYs will have more strategic value than others such that controlling key GY(s) makes one or many archetypes unplayable to the opposing faction?  Does that not bolster the defenders ability to lock-down control of those GYs?
Edited by Gilgamer

Luke I am your Uncle... Bob.  What, my sister Padmè never mentioned me?

What will the players in the riskier bands possibly want from the players in God's Reach?  Considering there isn't import in the high-risk bands, what do players within the dregs actually want from these other players to generate an economy, especially when the best stuff is already in the Dregs?  An economy has to have bargaining power on both sides to function.

Skill.

You'll be focusing on combat, they'll be focusing on trade. You'll promise them high quality goods and that you'll keep them alive if they come with you into the Dregs.

It's a service economy.

Skill.

You'll be focusing on combat, they'll be focusing on trade. You'll promise them high quality goods and that you'll keep them alive if they come with you into the Dregs.

It's a service economy.

You just named multiple things that the Dregs players can provide for the God's Reach players, but absolutely nothing from the other end.  You entirely missed the actual problem.

What do the God's Reach players have, that I as a Dregs player want?  What would I provide them resources and or protection in return for?

I think decay on vessels after being "exited" is a great idea; this helps deter thoughtless archetype switching. There should definitely be a tangible cost to switching archetypes. An induction timer of some length of time that cannot be interrupted is another good idea: changing archetypes minutes before a battle should be out of the question.

@bairloch read the rest of the interview. There are diminishing returns on power of vessels as they go up in rarity.

Edited by vucar

aka honeybear

Funny how many associations people have with something so simple as color-coded rarity levels.

Just because rarity levels are color coded does not mean you will be grinding PvE to get the stuff.

If there is no concept of rarity then the economy will be dull indeed. Do things need to be color coded to be rare? No. Does color coding them make a game more grindy? No.

I wish people would be a bit less heavy-handed about protesting everything that reminds them of WoW. That game incorporated almost everything from the MMORPG scene, so if it was done before, it was done in WoW.

Call it farming if you like, but you will be holding POIs to gather the stuff you want, not grinding mobs. Rarity and color coding doesn't change the fact that the way you get good stuff in this game is to compete with other players for it.

I was actually referring to Diablo, not WoW. If wow has purples, it's news to me.

I do not decry rarity. I decry a rarity system that is predictable and boring. I actually ask for rarity with an exploration component.

"I" will not likely be holding POIs. I'll be out exploring. If that's your playstyle, you go right ahead. It should not be the only playstyle and exploration is already stated to be a large part of every campaign.