Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Farblue

EVE CLONE?

I saw that one of the devs indicated that Crowfall was out to emulate something like EVE Online. Does this mean meta-guilds running 90% of game? What happened to the first concept of FPS PVP at various difficulty levels along with 'Game of Thrones' play style? Politics among the big boys (EVE style)? Game being based on how much you lose vs how much you gain? Elitism epeen ruling all aspects of play?

Not making any 'complaint' as yet, simply asking for comments on those questions that have become more relevant as we progress. I would ask that trollers and forum pvpers stand off but I know better. Will sift thru garbage for any honest comments and opinions and will LISTEN to what you have to say. Already invested as a Bronze backer so I have a spot at the table.

OK when this game should have been FPS? Technically game game is now more shooter then ever before because you can aim up and down that was impossible during kickstarter. Second game present it self with player driven economy, so why is it suprising that the game will be run by players them self? Campain and various difficulty levels stiel stand, spring is nice, winter is death and campain levels (3 faction, 12 faction, guild vs guild, free for all) stiel stand. Nothing has changed about how Eternal kingdoms and campains should work so I don't see the problem. 

I really don't know what are you asking for because IDEA of the game hasn't changed.

And bz the way calling anything clone of anything from mi point of view only shows how limited you are. There only one type of cloned games and thoose are emulators and thoose have it in a job description.

FPS PvP was never part of this game. I'm not sure where you got that idea from.

For the rest, there are things that are similar to EVE, but there are other things that separate it from EVE. Campaigns end and their are hard limits on what players can bring into each campaign. So a guild that wins a particular campaign won't have any significant advantage heading into the next campaign.

There are also mechanics to limit the effectiveness of the zerg. The more people a guild/faction has, the more resources they will need to support them, especially now that vessels are a thing. The more resources they need, the more POIs and caravans they'll need to hold/defend. And it's not just about resources, but Warmth too. If the zerg doesn't store enough warmth in the early seasons, they are going to suffer for it come winter. Friendly fire will further limit the zerg where implemented.

CF is like EVE in a couple ways. One is the passive skill system, and the other is the vessels system, which is very similar to ships in EVE. Neither of those things will produce the problems you speak of.

Edited by Arkade

I saw that one of the devs indicated that Crowfall was out to emulate something like EVE Online. Does this mean meta-guilds running 90% of game? What happened to the first concept of FPS PVP at various difficulty levels along with 'Game of Thrones' play style? Politics among the big boys (EVE style)? Game being based on how much you lose vs how much you gain? Elitism epeen ruling all aspects of play?

I'll do my best to take these in order and answer them as best as possible from my own observations and how I interpret different things. These are mostly my own opinions and insights on some mechanics of the game.

Does this mean meta-guilds running 90% of game?

First, before I start I would direct you to watch THIS video. Blair and Coleman talk about the kneeling mechanic, which, as you will see, is an interesting mechanic.

The answer I have to this is two fold which is predicated upon the campaign type. In the God's Reach and Infected type campaigns a large/zerg guild or a very good guild may be able to give a faction an advantage, however, a faction can only be as strong as the rest of the links in it's group. I would hope that as an obvious front runner emerges the other factions would focus more on the larger targets instead of cannibalizing each other and give the front runner an even greater advantage.

In the Shadows, which is Guild vs Guild, the large/zerg guilds and the very good guilds will have a much more clear advantage. However, the same thinking as above still holds true. As vetted ex Shadowbane players know, there have been multiple instances where server-wide alliances were formed to sort of beat back these monster guilds and restore the balance in a way. I would encourage you to also look at THIS thread and read through some of the articles by our own hades-lotd/Wayfarer who documented the rise and fall of powers when Shadowbane was being played.

What happened to the first concept of FPS PVP at various difficulty levels along with 'Game of Thrones' play style?

Personally, I don't recall any mention of an FPS type system to the game. If you could provide a link of a video, or a site with something to support that statement I would appreciate it. (Too many people say "they said...", however, links or it never happened)

As for the "Game of Thrones" system, people have interpreted that two ways. One system is the fealty system and how guilds can be organized. Go to THIS thread and do a word search for "fealty" Each statement has a link to it to see the interview statements on whichever topic. The second part of the "Game of Thrones" system is the truly political aspect that each campaign will carry with them. Referring back to Shadowbane (which I would recommend perusing the Boneyard/Shadowbane forums for more information) half of the game was the game and mechanics itself. The other half was the politics and "forumbane" that would go on. Each guild had a unique reputation to it (ask a player from Mourning their thoughts on Dragonscale, or Order of the Pink Pansies for example).

Much like the various houses and individuals in GoT, CF will eventually have it's own "houses" and individuals that players will take note of, for better or worse. Right now however, those individuals and houses have not yet been established. Trust me on this.

Politics among the big boys (EVE style)?

I'll refer you to HERE. Read around, ask around. It's politics, Shadowbane style. A player and a guild are only as good as their reputation and their word. Alliances, backstabbing, treachery, no holds barred down and dirty eye gouging and nut punching to get ahead.

Game being based on how much you lose vs how much you gain?

I'm sort of confused by what you mean by this, however, I will point you to the EMBARGO part of the FAQ.

Elitism epeen ruling all aspects of play?

At the end of the day epeens are measured by how well you play. How well can you PVP, Strategize, Play the political system, etc. People who talk with nothing to back it up will be ridiculed...mercilessly. Don't bite off more than you can chew, don't talk a big game and play a little one, never start a land war in Asia, and never mess with a Sicilian when death is on the line.

Hope that helps some

Edit: put in the wrong name for hades-lotd

Edited by Brokienheart

"Through the travail of ages, midst the pomp and toils of war, have I fought and strove and perished, countless times among the stars.
As if through a glass and darkly, the age old strife I see, when I fought in many guises and many names, but always me."

If we took EVE, and did a an asset and sovereignty wipe every 6 months. You would find a good deal of shifting of power blocks. This is one reason for the campaigns having an end. So while you can spend lots of resources making yourself very hard to take out in a campaign, that campaign will end and those investments are consumed. This won't solve everything obviously; and it will create issues that we can't even foresee yet. Still I don't think this game's design is close enough to EVE's to assume the pitfalls will be identical even if we are looking at many of the same systems.

I'll do my best to take these in order and answer them as best as possible from my own observations and how I interpret different things. These are mostly my own opinions and insights on some mechanics of the game.

Does this mean meta-guilds running 90% of game?

First, before I start I would direct you to watch THIS video. Blair and Coleman talk about the kneeling mechanic, which, as you will see, is an interesting mechanic.

The answer I have to this is two fold which is predicated upon the campaign type. In the God's Reach and Infected type campaigns a large/zerg guild or a very good guild may be able to give a faction an advantage, however, a faction can only be as strong as the rest of the links in it's group. I would hope that as an obvious front runner emerges the other factions would focus more on the larger targets instead of cannibalizing each other and give the front runner an even greater advantage.

In the Shadows, which is Guild vs Guild, the large/zerg guilds and the very good guilds will have a much more clear advantage. However, the same thinking as above still holds true. As vetted ex Shadowbane players know, there have been multiple instances where server-wide alliances were formed to sort of beat back these monster guilds and restore the balance in a way. I would encourage you to also look at THIS thread and read through some of the articles by our own hades-lotd/Wayfarer who documented the rise and fall of powers when Shadowbane was being played.

What happened to the first concept of FPS PVP at various difficulty levels along with 'Game of Thrones' play style?

Personally, I don't recall any mention of an FPS type system to the game. If you could provide a link of a video, or a site with something to support that statement I would appreciate it. (Too many people say "they said...", however, links or it never happened)

As for the "Game of Thrones" system, people have interpreted that two ways. One system is the fealty system and how guilds can be organized. Go to THIS thread and do a word search for "fealty" Each statement has a link to it to see the interview statements on whichever topic. The second part of the "Game of Thrones" system is the truly political aspect that each campaign will carry with them. Referring back to Shadowbane (which I would recommend perusing the Boneyard/Shadowbane forums for more information) half of the game was the game and mechanics itself. The other half was the politics and "forumbane" that would go on. Each guild had a unique reputation to it (ask a player from Mourning their thoughts on Dragonscale, or Order of the Pink Pansies for example).

Much like the various houses and individuals in GoT, CF will eventually have it's own "houses" and individuals that players will take note of, for better or worse. Right now however, those individuals and houses have not yet been established. Trust me on this.

Politics among the big boys (EVE style)?

I'll refer you to HERE. Read around, ask around. It's politics, Shadowbane style. A player and a guild are only as good as their reputation and their word. Alliances, backstabbing, treachery, no holds barred down and dirty eye gouging and nut punching to get ahead.

Game being based on how much you lose vs how much you gain?

I'm sort of confused by what you mean by this, however, I will point you to the EMBARGO part of the FAQ.

Elitism epeen ruling all aspects of play?

At the end of the day epeens are measured by how well you play. How well can you PVP, Strategize, Play the political system, etc. People who talk with nothing to back it up will be ridiculed...mercilessly. Don't bite off more than you can chew, don't talk a big game and play a little one, never start a land war in Asia, and never mess with a Sicilian when death is on the line.

Hope that helps some

Edit: put in the wrong name for hades-lotd

Now this is the kind of post that is most valuable. I read thru it and decided that there is a lot I should consider, and check into, about the development of Crowfall. I deeply appreciate the non-troll effort and specific addressing of any of my concerns. Thanks and will follow your advice.

Now this is the kind of post that is most valuable. I read thru it and decided that there is a lot I should consider, and check into, about the development of Crowfall. I deeply appreciate the non-troll effort and specific addressing of any of my concerns. Thanks and will follow your advice.

You're welcome. Another thing to look at are the three core people, Walton, Coleman, and Blair. Their three MMO children: Ultima Online, Shadowbane, Stare Wars Galaxies. Look those up too, find what their systems were like and you'll find a lot of inspiration from those games.

"Through the travail of ages, midst the pomp and toils of war, have I fought and strove and perished, countless times among the stars.
As if through a glass and darkly, the age old strife I see, when I fought in many guises and many names, but always me."

The original question of "is this an EVE clone" is super vague, since "EVE clone" can mean all sorts of things.  My first thoughts for EVE clone would be "no, this is not a space game with spaceships"

Obviously, some game mechanics are similar in scope (territory control, having your current character be a shell that you can lose like a spaceship in EVE, etc) but it's hard to see exactly how it will all be implemented.  We can't see how it'll all glue together.

I'd like to be optimistic enough to believe that if Crowfall does have some ideas pocketed from EVE, or Ultima Online, or Shadowbane- all clear inspirations to be sure- it takes them willfully and with the knowledge that they can have drawbacks.  They've been upfront since the start that Crowfall will not appeal to everyone, that it is experimental, and they have a very specific idea of what they want the game to be like.  I see the devs acknowledging this and I see them taking steps around some of the more obvious pitfalls.  That's why I'm staying onboard with the game.