Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crafting vs Rarity

Antifinity

How will item rarity (common, rare, superior, legendary, I believe) interact with crafting? Will components have rarities? Will crafting results have variable rarity, or perhaps rarity assigned based on material quality? If crafted items don't use the rarity system then how will they measure up? ie, can you craft an item that is better than any Legendary drop?

I think it would be very interesting if components had rarity, and the quality of the result was based on the rarity of each component. So building a pure-legendary item would be very difficult (having to find each component with the stats you want at legendary rarity would be no small feat) but would reward you with an item stronger than anything that could be found, or crafted from lesser materials.

Alternatively, and perhaps more sensibly, I think crafted items could have a rarity assigned by chance when you craft them (perhaps influenced by your Skill at that type of crafting.) That way you would need to craft an item hundreds, perhaps thousands of times before producing a legendary version that stands above the rest.

Any ideas on how rarity and crafting relate, or any information on what ACE has decided so far?

You should start by reading the crafting FAQ: http://crowfall.com/en/faq/economy/

Short version: quality of a finished item is determined by the quality of the ingredients used to make it. There are no legendary drops; dropped gear will be lowest quality. Anything worth using will be crafted. A tier 1 broadsword and a tier 8 broadsword use exactly the same recipe, you just plug in better materials when you're making it.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

This hasn't been answered specifically but, the way it works in every other MMO is that each rarity has a maximum "pool" of statistics that it can draw from based on quality level.

An example may be:

White: No stat bonus

Green: +1

Blue: +5

Purple: +10

Orange: +20

So if a normal item found on the ground with white rarity has a stats pool of 10 (that will be spent between damage and durability) If you add a Thrall of +5 strength, it becomes Blue rarity equivalent.

Of course the systems are usually more complex than that. Primary and secondary stats may be weighted differently in the points system and rarity of material may effect efficiency of additional statistics (There might be more strength per Ore or more ore slots per item for class specific gear etc.)

Basically, the rarity would be controlled by which stat caps you went over while crafting.

You should start by reading the crafting FAQ: http://crowfall.com/en/faq/economy/

Short version: quality of a finished item is determined by the quality of the ingredients used to make it. There are no legendary drops; dropped gear will be lowest quality. Anything worth using will be crafted. A tier 1 broadsword and a tier 8 broadsword use exactly the same recipe, you just plug in better materials when you're making it.

I have read that FAQ, yes. In my reading, it doesn't appear to address how crafting relates to "the item rarity system". Which is a thing that is said to exist in the Crows and Vessels FAQ:

Do vessels adhere to the item rarity system?

They do! Since they are an item they follow item rules as well, meaning quality levels. Higher quality level vessels will have higher attributes and skill caps.

…and, since they are items, the drop rules are going to be mirrored here, as well.  The best raw vessels are going to come from the more dangerous campaign worlds. This means that we expect a brisk trading economy of vessels and an entire market devoted to crafting and trading vessels. Crafters rejoice!

http://crowfall.com/en/news/the-big-reveal-crows-and-vessels/

I have read that FAQ, yes. In my reading, it doesn't appear to address how crafting relates to "the item rarity system". Which is a thing that is said to exist in the Crows and Vessels FAQ:

http://crowfall.com/en/news/the-big-reveal-crows-and-vessels/

See question 11 in the economy FAQ. Item quality is determined by the rarity of the resources used to make it.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

See question 11 in the economy FAQ. Item quality is determined by the rarity of the resources used to make it.

Ah, that could be it. I thought those "tiers" referred to the different types of materials (from Question 1) rather than tiers of rarity.

This hasn't been answered specifically but, the way it works in every other MMO is that each rarity has a maximum "pool" of statistics that it can draw from based on quality level.

An example may be:

White: No stat bonus

Green: +1

Blue: +5

Purple: +10

Orange: +20

So if a normal item found on the ground with white rarity has a stats pool of 10 (that will be spent between damage and durability) If you add a Thrall of +5 strength, it becomes Blue rarity equivalent.

Of course the systems are usually more complex than that. Primary and secondary stats may be weighted differently in the points system and rarity of material may effect efficiency of additional statistics (There might be more strength per Ore or more ore slots per item for class specific gear etc.)

Basically, the rarity would be controlled by which stat caps you went over while crafting.

It will be even more controllable than this...  once you know what stat is increased by which alloy and combinations thereof you can build the base weapon/armor piece in a rarity of your best materials towards a min/max goal and then add runestones and a thrall of a known choice to further the choice stats...  ideally we also get some kind of stat prefix and proc suffix like in shadowbane or maybe the thrall thing essentially replaces or does this.

Edited by Frykka

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

Ah, that could be it. I thought those "tiers" referred to the different types of materials (from Question 1) rather than tiers of rarity.

We don't really know the exact, minute details yet. And, even if we did, they'd likely have changed by now. But, it seems as though there will be both tiers of materials (i.e. draconium ore versus iron) AND quality levels within a given tier (i.e. awesome iron versus crappy, low-quality iron.) There was also talk of alloys, etc.

Hopefully they'll dump a bunch of crafting info on us soon. 8)

Edited by Lephys

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

I think that the resources and economy are going to be a lot like Eve.  Lots of different materials, some only available in the lower campaign bands.  People are going to go through a lot of stuff.  Sounds like fun to kill someone and loot their hand though.  Enough parts and you can build a Frankenstein monster.