Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Aaand Crowfall is dead

According to the new parcel FAQ, Campaign Worlds will be made of "premade parcels". That sentence single-handedly swatted down any intrest I had in this game. I don't want to hop into a campaign only to look for Parcel #106, that mountain with all the quarries in it, which is the same every time beyond it's location on the map.

hey noob... the early backers been known this...why you crying :( ?

According to the new parcel FAQ, Campaign Worlds will be made of "premade parcels". That sentence single-handedly swatted down any intrest I had in this game. I don't want to hop into a campaign only to look for Parcel #106, that mountain with all the quarries in it, which is the same every time beyond it's location on the map.

Are you talking about Eternal Kingdoms or the Campaigns?  Those are two very different things.  The parcels you place will only be in the Eternal Kingdoms.  I think by pre-made they are referring to general features of the parcel such as how many spawns it contains, where placements are for spawns (i.e. nest on a hiltop) and other terrain features where you can place strongholds, villages, houses and other NPC's.  Since you can add parcels the variation for each Eternal Kingdom will be extremely varied.

If you refer to procedurally generated Campaigns there may be differences there after each campaign.

FpOqn82.jpg

@Preston: CWs are procedurally generated using the same parcels players will use to assemble their EKs. In fact the whole EK concept is based on capitalizing on assets (such as parcels) that were already being developed for the CWs.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

A parcel is just empty land. The POIs, buildings, resources etc., are completely separate. Even if you could recognize a particular tile out of hundreds, you would have no idea what is there.

That's not accurate. Parcel features such as strongholds or POIs will always be in the same place on a given parcel of that type. If you find a mountain fortress parcel and you recognize the terrain you'll know exactly what kind of stronghold you can find on that parcel and where on the parcel it will be located.

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

"Let my armies be the rocks and the trees and the birds in the sky" - Charlemagne.

I'm sure someone could memorize what each initial parcel looks like... and that could give him/her a tactical advantage.

I don't think this is a bad thing that could ruin the game, but Mummelpuffin does have a point.

Memorization of the tetris pieces might not be possible because we don't know how many pieces there will be.

Imagine you gonna have 20 different mountain pieces and then each of thoose 20 mountain gonna have identical mountains in databaze with different points of interest placement. In that case even if you recognize the mountain that is in front of you it stiel does't mean that you know where that one mine is or if there is any at all.

It would not be even hard thing to do because the largest part of the piece you already have and all you need to do is place different PoIs on different places.

Hope you understand what I'm triyng to tell.

That's not accurate. Parcel features such as strongholds or POIs will always be in the same place on a given parcel of that type. If you find a mountain fortress parcel and you recognize the terrain you'll know exactly what kind of stronghold you can find on that parcel and where on the parcel it will be located.

That's a bit off of the mark. If I'm hunting for the fortress if the mountain king Erlengorf to take his corpse, I'll look in the mountain because that is where you find mountain fortresses. Let's say in the last campaign I found him on a mountain with boulders at the base in a triangle surrounding a massive oak tree and I find the same thing at the base of the mountain in this world. There is no guarantee the mountain king's specific fortress will be there, if the world generator chooses to place a fortress there at all. The type of terrain will influence what is available, but what will actually be the is unknown.

• 2 weeks later...

Without reading too far into this, I'll point out that the campaign fabrications are built with multiple variations to allow various land masses to render different features and variations even with the same terrain. They can designate several points on each area with a random chance to have a feature.

I'd at least put some diligence into observing the available information...

Edited by bahamutkaiser

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

That's a bit off of the mark. If I'm hunting for the fortress if the mountain king Erlengorf to take his corpse, I'll look in the mountain because that is where you find mountain fortresses. Let's say in the last campaign I found him on a mountain with boulders at the base in a triangle surrounding a massive oak tree and I find the same thing at the base of the mountain in this world. There is no guarantee the mountain king's specific fortress will be there, if the world generator chooses to place a fortress there at all. The type of terrain will influence what is available, but what will actually be the is unknown.

Here is an example of a 7-cell Keep parcel. Whenever this parcel is placed in a campaign world, it will have the same 7-cell H-shaped layout, and the keep proper will always be in the middle cell edging slightly into the adjacent cells on either side. This particular parcel will never be placed as empty terrain with no keep, and it will never appear with the keep placed in one of the side legs of the H. We may see slight variations in the wall design for the keep in its fixed location.

Parcel-based world generation does not mean free placement of features in appropriate terrain. It means pretty much the exact opposite of that, in fact.

keep-large-parcel.jpg

Tully

Well, it depends on how many different parcels there are, and if you remember that recent video they were talking about how they can make chances to system to prevent their artists from making different "castle shapes" over and over again by making "buildable castles" ish.

Here is an example of a 7-cell Keep parcel. Whenever this parcel is placed in a campaign world, it will have the same 7-cell H-shaped layout, and the keep proper will always be in the middle cell edging slightly into the adjacent cells on either side. This particular parcel will never be placed as empty terrain with no keep, and it will never appear with the keep placed in one of the side legs of the H. We may see slight variations in the wall design for the keep in its fixed location.

Parcel-based world generation does not mean free placement of features in appropriate terrain. It means pretty much the exact opposite of that, in fact.

keep-large-parcel.jpg

Sorry but I don't think we can just say that this H shaped parcel will always look like this. Don't have time right now to look it up but pretty sure we will see these same shaped parcels with different things on them, like one might have a mine or a ruin or a keep like the one in the picture. Now if you're saying the combo of the shape AND keep will be the same then perhaps but as far as I know it parcels can and will have many varieties of land features on them.

The devs have total freedom though...

Like pang suggests: they've said in a video they'll generate the map using default building blocks but will go through it for quality control. They can move trees around or buildings... switch buildings for other things.

I guess the extend to which they will make the world unique is up to their own whim and resources.

I wouldn't worry. We don't know if they'll generate worlds with 12 building blocks or 7000 building blocks... If its not fun because every campaign world is largely the same then we'll complain its not fun and I'm sure they'll take it to heart.

Also, the topic title is terrible. It contributes nothing and acts as pure click-bait.

Edited by Whip

keep-large-parcel.jpg

I don't normally disagree with Johan but while mostly on the mark the H piece will NOT always look the same as was talked about in the "Fly on the wall" videos where they specifically talked about being able to move plots and placables around within the parcel. Again if it makes it to final release who knows, but they absolutely are looking at ways to make it so every H cell is not the same.

"He's like Batman except without the moral compass" ~Juror during first innocent verdict 

Ghost's of War, PvP gaming community founded 2002

Building plots, sure. Parcel features, different story. That H parcel can have shops, crafting stations, heads on spikes etc placed arbitrarily per parcel instance. The keep itself, though, that's always gonna be in the same relative place.

Tully

Building plots, sure. Parcel features, different story. That H parcel can have shops, crafting stations, heads on spikes etc placed arbitrarily per parcel instance. The keep itself, though, that's always gonna be in the same relative place.

When you are in a campaign, you aren't going to be able to identify the shape of a parcel. So even if every H shaped parcel has the keep in the same spot, so what? That being said, there's no reason they can't create multiple H shaped parcels with the keep in varying locations.

Also, the parcels can be joined together in any number of ways, which will further randomize the look.

Will there be times when you will see a mountain range and remember that there is a keep on the other side of it, and it will actually be there? Probably. But I think you are seriously overstating the issue. 

When you are in a campaign, you aren't going to be able to identify the shape of a parcel. So even if every H shaped parcel has the keep in the same spot, so what? That being said, there's no reason they can't create multiple H shaped parcels with the keep in varying locations.

Also, the parcels can be joined together in any number of ways, which will further randomize the look.

Will there be times when you will see a mountain range and remember that there is a keep on the other side of it, and it will actually be there? Probably. But I think you are seriously overstating the issue. 

I think this is what people who are critical of the system seem to miss.  Sure, it is easy to identify the tetris blocks, and what is on them with a bird's-eye view, but when you are actually at ground level it will be difficult to determine what particular tetris block you are on.  We aren't going to know what blocks are being used and how they are arranged.  How are you going to be able to determine if the block you are standing on is a T shape, since it could just as easily be an H shape or an L shape, depending on the surrounding blocks.  This is made even more challenging with more block introduced into the system.