Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Fly on the Wall: Castle Building, Part 1 - Official discussion thread

My preference would be that it not be nicely terraformed, but that is certainly more difficult to make work. I'd rather build around existing natural features, not in a huge empty space.

Yep this. It should also be that building around certain features costs more in mats to build the walls and structures.

My preference would be that it not be nicely terraformed, but that is certainly more difficult to make work. I'd rather build around existing natural features, not in a huge empty space.

Fair enough, though we could could conceive of a flattened grid on top of a mountain, or some other terrain feature, which allows us to free build our walls and buildings in and around the the mountain/hill/lake/whatever. The point is, there will have to be flat places somewhere in the area for the building grid to exist. This doesn't mean that it couldn't be a series of grid terraces placed around a terrain feature. I suspect that the ruins will be the excuse to have those flat areas which will just disappear once we clear them out.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

All I want to know is, if I find a castle in a campaign world and restore it, will I then be able to build a custom-built wall structure around it (with control over wall lengths, corners, ramps, gates, etc.)? What about the existing walls; can I demolish and rebuild them?

In CWs where the keeps will be under siege I would like to be able to strategically leave some ruins inside and outside my walls for PvP obstacles and LOS so that I may have some better terrain for fighting in and around, i.e.  duck behind and stop a chain pull or get pulled into the wall but not to the kniggit.

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

Also... The Kiddies WILL like it!   seven levels sound so much cooler...   and we want towers with murder holes and wooden hoardings upgradable to machicoulis and bartizens or even adding a  short Breteche to a section would be very cool...  castle gates need these murder holes for defenders too...  Thing is that in most games we tend to get some mechanics that circumvent the walls... flying, teleport, etc and that just ends any advantage for defending a keep you have paid with sweat and cash to build.  Be sure that the defensive value of a keep remains solidly an advantage and not just a death box that gets overrun.

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

In CWs where the keeps will be under siege I would like to be able to strategically leave some ruins inside and outside my walls for PvP obstacles and LOS so that I may have some better terrain for fighting in and around, i.e.  duck behind and stop a chain pull or get pulled into the wall but not to the kniggit.

In one sense, the ruins would give enemies cover to hide behind while you and yours are trying to shoot them from the wall. On the other hand, those ruined buildings/wall segments might make it hard to move up siege equipment to your walls or gates. It'll probably come down to which is easier to destroy and clear away: the ruins, or a wall segment?

Possible, but not cheap or easy to implement. Certainly a cost/benefit consideration.

It would also look unseemly to have buildings on uneven terrain. It might be possible if every building required a flat foundation be built, which could conform itself to even a steep slope.

Something like this, perhaps:

http://thebreach.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/2015-02-06_20-29-18.jpg

It was one of the most coolest part in Shadowbane, being able to design your walls and protections around your cities.

If you can dot it it's cool, if you can't it's cool too as the game will still be damn cool anyway, as stated, it's juste a question about risk/rewards (cost, etc...)

Interesting video about the brainstorming part

WnxjrJ9.gif

Thelanas Kar'Pal Membre fondateur de l'alliance Naerth en 2001 - Ex Shadowbane European Advisor Damnation/Carnage/Vindication/Corruption http://www.twitch.tv/gorwald/profile

The builders in these worlds may need to account for things such as magical siege projectiles, monstrous siege beasts, and all sort of things that might drive them to make walls more thick than you would expect.

True, the wall top looks more like a terrace... there is space for a whole battalion :) doesn't look fine

Edited by Azeron

I would like to be able to place walls at a variety of angles.

Rectilinear forts are nice enough, but I would dearly love to be able to build something like the following:

elvas-fortress-300x199.jpg

Edited by narsille

WAZ6Fov.png

"The cinnabar is a lie"

Oh no...custom strongholds. They either all end up looking the same (because certain layouts are most efficient/have highest defensability) or outlandish because of all the snowflakes lol.

They'll likely follow whatever the siege meta is or be seen as an easy target.

I'm all for the idea of customizable pieces to a stronghold and even rotation of pieces. I'm a big fan of what they did with UO and wildstar housing where you could make new items by sticking items together. The more diversity in crafting the better. I'm hoping that in CWs though that the fortifications are somewhat standardized for the sake of gameplay. I don't want to see somebody that can build a keep with 7 walls that's impossible to siege because of imbalances or a glitch in building types (like stacking shops in front of doorways that can't be killed)

I can't wait to see how diverse the crafting is!

Edited by IdeaMatrix

I like this new "fly on the wall" series.  I really appreciate the collaboration between design and art to bring us players a really engaging game to play.  It is interesting to watch you balance the interests of builders, economy folks, combatants, etc. because these structures will have different meaning to each of them.  Thanks for letting us see the inner workings of ACE.

LW_sig_concept3_zps7zqmgbno.jpg

http://crowfall.shivtr.com/  The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home.

lawn mowers in cash-shop confirmed

My thralls shall be out there with scissors!

Honestly, you are the type of person that is much to competitive, has zero compassion for other people and think you are better than everyone else. You likely love to troll people on a day to day bases to get others angry and laugh about it. You make playing any online game unfun for everyone else.  -Kuroaka