Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GeistBaoh

Is CrowFall a new genres?

It's a hybrid between an mmo and a moba... so mmoba

My thoughts as well. Still not sure why so many people lash out at admitting the MOBA part, MOBAs are fun. Even less sure how they don't see the comparison. 

I role play a wordsmith.

I still don't understand why it's CF that's suddenly a MMOBA (orwhatever additional letters you wanna throw in there).

- resetting CWs? --> every MMO with arenas has resetting worlds/maps

- vessel system? --> Lineage 2 had something similar... Archeage had class changes on the fly...

noone ever yelled "IT'S A MOBA!!!" in those cases... so why now?

seems to just be a buzzword that's being thrown around and imo we should just ditch it... not doing them any favours when trying to market the game

My thoughts as well. Still not sure why so many people lash out at admitting the MOBA part, MOBAs are fun. Even less sure how they don't see the comparison. 

I think people are afraid of the connotation that they personally have when it comes to mobas... either that or they just aren't able to see certain similarities in designs...

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

It clearly is a mix between MMO, MOBA and team based schooter! Like seriously; I see no way why this even closely resembles a MOBA. No 5v5 combat; the map always changes; more then 4 abillities; no jungle; not a rigid system of roles.

If anything, it it a roguelite. It got: (Pseudo)Random maps, Permadeath (somewhat after all your characters / vessel dies just your skills transfer over which is also pretty normal for Roguelites nowadays) and it got mixed with another genre (here MMORPG / Survival).

Imho it is a Roguelite Survival PvP MMO.
Be honest with yourself do you see it as a MOBA (and why) or are you just saying it because it is popular?

Edited by IamMe

I AM ME!
I love you all.

It's definitely not an RTS because you don't control a significant amount of units individually...

All the economics, and resource management aspects of the game can be found in mobas or mmos...

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

This v

sorenkierkegaard152222.jpg

Honestly, you are the type of person that is much to competitive, has zero compassion for other people and think you are better than everyone else. You likely love to troll people on a day to day bases to get others angry and laugh about it. You make playing any online game unfun for everyone else.  -Kuroaka

It may be easier to say what CF is not.  It is neither a MOBA, RTS, Survival, TPS nor MMORPG.  That being said, CF is definitely a MOBA sibling because of common RTS roots and shared arena aspects.  I'd agree with VN and call it primarily a hybrid of MMO and MOBA, but include dashes of team based TPS and survival tossed in.   

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

CF is a:

MMOBATPSRPG

Massively Multiplayer Online Battle Arena Third-Person Survival Role Playing Game

/thread

Edited by Regulus

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

They way in which it resembles to a MOBA from my perspective is just the archetype system in which you get to play more than one of on each crow. Like choosing a champion in champion select, you choose a vessel in the world. Otherwise it has nothing else to do with it.

We are now recruiting! Read more here!

o8WHnLc.png

OWSMMOBATWSRTSTPSERPG

Open World Sandbox Massive Multiplayer Online Battle Arena Throne War Simulator Real Time Strategy Third Person Shooter Erotic Role Play Game.

Crowfall is an Open World Sandbox PvP MMO

Edited by Kiro Elmarok

[TB] The Balance
Nation of Equilibrium

OWSMMOBATWSRTSTPSERPG

Open World Sandbox Massive Multiplayer Online Battle Arena Throne War Simulator Real Time Strategy Third Person Shooter Erotic Role Play Game.

Crowfall is an Open World Sandbox PvP MMO

Now That is something easy to remember and highly recognisable! We should keep it and make it catch on. 

OWSMMOBATWSRTSTPSERPG rolls right of the tongue am I right? :lol:

EDIT: I just saw: Why is erotic in there? xD

Edited by IamMe

I AM ME!
I love you all.

It's definitely not an RTS because you don't control a significant amount of units individually...

All the economics, and resource management aspects of the game can be found in mobas or mmos...

The economics are nothing like a MOBA, at least not the most famous ones such as LoL, Dota2, Smite or HoTS (neither some others that I have played such a bloodline champions).

Resource management in MOBAs is basicly gold and exp. As far as I know, Crowfall is quite more complex, it will have materials and resources, you build structures and destroy structures (MOBAs usually only destroy), you can craft items( MOBAs is basicly buying items), there is a player based economy, you buy and sell to people (in a MOBA, buying and selling is NPC based).

The only point that is like a MOBA is that every world has an end(and that crowfall focus is PVP). But it is not like a world will last 40-60min, it will last up to several months, so you can't compare that either.

The easy class selection has been there in some MMORPGs, so no MOBA either.

You could say that it is a MOBA because "Multiplayer Online Battle Arena" fits with what crowfall will be, the acronym has not in account the size of the arena nor the number of players nor the persistance of the world.

Basicly you could say that any MMORPG focused on PVP is a MOBA, becuase  the Arena is the whole world, and it is multiplayer online and you have battles there, poorly made socks, you could even say that any MMORPG is a custard MOBA because it is not specified that it has to be PVP.

But if we go with what an actual MOBA is:

· Small teams and usually only 2 teams per match(not 3, not 4, not any random number, I don't even know a MOBA with  more than 2 teams per match).

· Fast matches and fast character progression in the match(usually between 20-40min, and the character limit is easily achieved, depends on the game)

· Highly competitive and huge focus on balance(there is usually no character too op that makes an easy win, and if there is it will be nerfed)

· Everyone starts with the same resources every match.

· The economics in the game is basicly buying items and it is not player based.

· There is no persistance between matches(nor in the world nor in the characters)

· There is a winning condition for both teams, the match only ends when one team surrenders or the winning condition is completed(usually destroy Nexus).

Mostly all MOBAs share those features, and it is basicly what a MOBA is. (I probably missed some features that is shared between MOBAs, but I think those are enough).

So what has crowfall that fits a MOBA like game:

· Number of teams, we know the less will be 3(even here the number of players per team will be huge compared to any MOBA) in the faction based campaing, up to whatever the players want in the free for all campaigns.

· The Crowfall "matches" will last up to seveal months, while MOBAs are focused on short matches, character progression will be slow compared to any MOBA.

· Highly competitive, yes it is designed to be a competitive game, like every other PVP game there is, MOBA or not. Balancing characters will not be a huge focus.

· The economy is player based, people sell and buy to other people, there is a lot of resources.

· Everyone starts with the same resources, not in Crowfall, here everyone is ABLE to start with the same resources if they have those resources, but some guild can actually have an advantage over another from min 1.

· There is no persistant world, but there is persistance in characters.

· There is a winning condition.

The acronym can fit with what Crowfall is, but so do any RTS or FPS, or a lot other genres, so, sure call it a MOBA, but it has nothing to do with what a MOBA actually is.