Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GeistBaoh

Is CrowFall a new genres?

This is quite good, I think.  However, it may need the "survival" component.  Maybe MMOWASG--Massively Multiplayer Online War Arena Survival Game.

I like "MMOWASG", however I doubt the A and W will really fit since campaigns can't be qualified of "arenas" (they're huge, continent-sized maps that last for months) and the "war" for me means large battles with high number of players. We already have performance issues with just 10 players in a small area, so I guess that having hundreds of players, plus combat pets, mounts, environment destruction, player's inventory drops on ground, monsters, siege weapons, stronghold walls collapsing, etc. would lead to a frame rate doom.

Right now Crowfall is just the Hunger Dome.

That all it is at the moment since 1 year of development.

I am really waiting so hard for something to come out like EKs.....

seriously....

I am waiting since over 5 years for a serious online game

The worst of all things of the online games so far is, that they even didnt try in the beginning...

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

I like "MMOWASG", however I doubt the A and W will really fit since campaigns can't be qualified of "arenas" (they're huge, continent-sized maps that last for months) and the "war" for me means large battles with high number of players. We already have performance issues with just 10 players in a small area, so I guess that having hundreds of players, plus combat pets, mounts, environment destruction, player's inventory drops on ground, monsters, siege weapons, stronghold walls collapsing, etc. would lead to a frame rate doom.

Tech issues aside, the "arena" portion is essential in my estimation because of the structure of the game.  We are talking about impermanent maps--the kind of stuff you find in MOBAs and shooters.  Sure, they are "huge, continent-sized maps that last for months" but they consumable places with mechanics that are reminiscent of matches in other games--admittedly more complex and much larger.  Also, the "arena" tag helps to better relate CF to both PvP and MOBA.  Again, CF is not a MOBA, but I would still argue that it is related because of the common parent of RTS with other basic similarities.  

War is perhaps more appropriate than "battle" because of the nature of the CF PvP gameplay.  Again, tech allowing, we should see large battles of dozens (?) of players going on potentially simultaneous with other battles in the same campaign world at different locations.  Multiple, larger scale battles would, in my mind, constitute a war.  Also, there is the resource aspect which is akin to supporting the war effort and less a throwaway battle.      

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

Tech issues aside, the "arena" portion is essential in my estimation because of the structure of the game.  We are talking about impermanent maps--the kind of stuff you find in MOBAs and shooters.  Sure, they are "huge, continent-sized maps that last for months" but they consumable places with mechanics that are reminiscent of matches in other games--admittedly more complex and much larger.  Also, the "arena" tag helps to better relate CF to both PvP and MOBA.  Again, CF is not a MOBA, but I would still argue that it is related because of the common parent of RTS with other basic similarities.  

War is perhaps more appropriate than "battle" because of the nature of the CF PvP gameplay.  Again, tech allowing, we should see large battles of dozens (?) of players going on potentially simultaneous with other battles in the same campaign world at different locations.  Multiple, larger scale battles would, in my mind, constitute a war.  Also, there is the resource aspect which is akin to supporting the war effort and less a throwaway battle.      

Based on the information we got on Crowfall, it looks a lot more like a MMORPG than a MOBA to me, so if a gaming news website absolutely needs to put it in an existing category, I think it should be labelled as such. Otherwise, I guess we can just stick with what ACE said and call it like they do : Throne War Simulator/MMO, which is a Strategy & MMORPG hybrid with survival elements and features borrowed to other genres.

Edited by courant101

Based on the information we got on Crowfall, it looks a lot more like a MMORPG than a MOBA to me, so if a gaming news website absolutely needs to put it in an existing category, I think it should be labelled as such. Otherwise, I guess we can just stick with what ACE said and call it like they do : Throne War Simulator/MMO, which is a Strategy & MMORPG hybrid with survival elements and features borrowed to other genres.

Sure!  Which is what MMOWASG is :) !  That "Throne War Simulator" sounds grand, but doesn't really provide context.  I do not consider CF to be a MMORPG, as it has far too many perishable aspects and borrows too heavily from other genres to fit the bill (IMHO).  However, I would agree that it is more like an MMORPG than a MOBA.  

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

This is a sandbox PVP MMORPG, there's really nothing else to call it.  The impermanency of the campaign worlds doesn't change this.  Just because it's not being a WoW clone or trying to impersonate a game like ArcheAge or Black Desert doesn't really change much, either.

This is a sandbox PVP MMORPG, there's really nothing else to call it.  The impermanency of the campaign worlds doesn't change this.  Just because it's not being a WoW clone or trying to impersonate a game like ArcheAge or Black Desert doesn't really change much, either.

You said the "Archeage" word here.

You must be stoned.

Erm, I meant in the ancient times sense, with large rocks.  lol. ;)

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

You said the "Archeage" word here.

You must be stoned.

Erm, I meant in the ancient times sense, with large rocks.  lol. ;)

So many great concepts that they implemented about as well as a two-legged dog can sew.  Then they milked the dog.

So many great concepts that they implemented about as well as a two-legged dog can sew.  Then they milked the dog.

Aye.  Pretty much.

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

Sandboxes by definition do not have system goals or win conditions. A sandbox 'game' is properly called a "toy" rather than a "game" using Chris Crawford's definitions; you can play any game you wish with a toy, but the toy is not itself a game.

Crowfall is very explicitly a game not a toy.  There's a sharp difference between Crowfall and sandbox games/toys like Minecraft, Eve, or Rust: Crowfall campaigns have winners and losers.determined by the system in reference to the campaign ruleset objectives, as opposed to players deciding for themselves whether they're succeeding adeqautely at their own personal goals. It's not a sandbox, it's a game played on sand. It's beach volleyball.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

The hardest part is coming up with an acronym that is brief and easy to say. MOBA was probably given the name for that very reason. Not so much of what each word means on it's own.

I wish there was more describing how the game is unique from all the other MMOs out there. The generated worlds and deep interconnected game systems make the game sound more like a "Systemic Online War Game". SOWG? Hmph

The hardest part is coming up with an acronym that is brief and easy to say.

You mean like "mamorpiga"? Because MMORPG seems to have caught on just fine.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Sandboxes by definition do not have system goals or win conditions. A sandbox 'game' is properly called a "toy" rather than a "game" using Chris Crawford's definitions; you can play any game you wish with a toy, but the toy is not itself a game.

Crowfall is very explicitly a game not a toy.  There's a sharp difference between Crowfall and sandbox games/toys like Minecraft, Eve, or Rust: Crowfall campaigns have winners and losers.determined by the system in reference to the campaign ruleset objectives, as opposed to players deciding for themselves whether they're succeeding adeqautely at their own personal goals. It's not a sandbox, it's a game played on sand. It's beach volleyball.

So it's a sandbox with timed wristbands.  At the sound of the bell, everyone must get out for cleaning and fresh sand.  It's still just about as sandbox as you can get with an MMO anymore. 

You mean like "mamorpiga"? Because MMORPG seems to have caught on just fine.

4rdOcQasKart.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

What is this?

Crowfall is not an Arena, firstly, this should be obvious from the campaign length and unregulated competition. For all intents and purposes, it's just an MMO, like many MMOs, they don't need a special acronym for ever unique thing that happens in an MMO.

It has action, it has strategy, it has PvP and society building. The game coins itself as a Throne War Simulator, and in the end, they are called whatever absurd acronym them come up with. It's an MMO... TWS, if that's what ppl need to feel good about it. At the end of the day, an MMO doesn't need an acronym to distinguish all the features it includes, if it was complete, it would get absurdly long,

If it was up to me, I'd call it a Massive Multiplayer Online Strategy... But that's assuming it's actually gonna be Strategic... 

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

The game I'm looking for is Crowfall, which actually said it was an MMO Strategy... not an Action MMO, not a PvP MMO, an MMO Strategy...

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P