Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vunak

Save me Crowfall

I can't. Not anymore. I need help and Crowfall is my last bastion of hope. MMORPGs have become stale, regurgitated concepts with new paint slapped on to give it the appearance of being something new. Some know me and some don't but I have been a MMORPG player since UO. And I am tired. I feel like a Cow being milked by these greedy developers and producers. I know they all have the creative gene. Its there, it really is. Sometimes they even show it off a little. But most of the time, it doesn't. They let it go, closed the door, locked the lock, threw the bar down and shut the hatch on their creativity. 

So please. Crowfall, I am begging you. Don't screw this up. 

So what prompted this thread. Well, I went through my games list on Steam and others where I store my MMORPGs and thought about the content that was offered in each of them. They were all fairly similar in concept, mechanically they may deviate a small amount, but the end is always the same. Always. Every single one of them lacks meaningful content. We need something community driven. Something that is done out in the Open World, rather than in another closed off instance. Something that isn't thrown on repeat until its your turn to get the new shiny, just to do the next thing for the next shiny for the thing after for the improved shiny. The chain... please. It needs to be broken. 

For the ones that did deviate in actual design (a little bit), ArcheAge for example, had other things so glaring wrong with them that it completely negated the deviation they made in the design (aka a completely broken P2W cash-shop). 

So I beg you Crowfall, save me. Not only me, but the other MMORPG players that may feel the same way. 

Edited by vunak

MMORPGs have become stale, regurgitated concepts with new paint slapped on to give it the appearance of being something new....

....They were all fairly similar in concept, mechanically they may deviate a small amount, but the end is always the same. Always. Every single one of them lacks meaningful content

This is the part where we visit exactly what sets a game like Crowfall apart, and it may not be what you think. I want to begin with your term "meaningful content". 

Generally speaking, content is generally considered "stuff the devs give us to do". Most MMORPG's have "content" that can be done by players and it's consumed rather quickly by the hardcore players while it's slowly nibbled on by the rest. During patch cycles, player bases are all waiting for that next patch so they have more stuff to do. 

Let's compare that concept with what Crowfall is doing. Crowfall isn't going to be developing what is commonly known as "content". What ArtCraft is building is a system whereby players and player interactions ARE the content. Want to improve? Use the passive skill system. Want gear? Build relationships with those who can either supply you with the rare mats or or have them craft it for you. Want to win in the campaigns? Work with your faction and strategize. Every item is crafted and outside of the foundational lore, every story you'll tell will be about what happened with other people, not a scripted boss or quest chain. 

I believe that there are so many players that are lost, looking to recapture their love for MMO's is because they're looking for the same game they've already played wrapped in a different skin. Maybe it's time for something different. 

Now, here's what happens. Gamers ask for something different but when something truly different comes through, it elicits fear because it's so different. Some of the risks you'll love, some you'll go, "Well, ok we'll wait and see" and others you'll hate. As in indie studio, ArtCraft is going to continue to do things people love or hate, but there's no denying that the final product will be very different than anything I've experienced or most have. 

TL:DR Crowfall is very different and nobody will be waiting for content patches since the systems (if done right) will make interacting with/against other players the content.

Dev's history got me interested, the proposal made me stay.

Finally an mmo worth playing.

Edited by Kiro Elmarok

[TB] The Balance
Nation of Equilibrium

I am right there with you maybe not with as much experience but with what I am looking for.  I was wanting to get back into the MMO thing after having quit WoW a long time ago.  I had played City of Heroes and loved that moving to WoW at release and it was fun until it got, well, not fun.  The grinding thing wasn't gonna be the thing I wanted to do anymore.  The PvP was fun but again another grind for the most part.  I did like to grind for some weird reason and leveling new toons was cool but it got old and tiresome.  So here I found Crowfall and it's concept.  I love how Arawulf  puts it and I hope that is the case.  If most everything is player driven in terms of the the bulk of the game there will be plenty of content to be had.  It could be the perfect recipe for a persistent experience that you can tailor to your liking.

It will be interesting to see how it unfolds and how it evolves.

There will be plenty of tears to be had in Crowfall.  The lower tier worlds are guaranteed to be super salty.  The way the devs are talking, it sounds a lot like 0.0 space in Eve.  Just need to find a big enough organization to run with.  We should start seeing some of these names during Siege Perilous.  

Time to get in on the ground floor, like in Shadowbane.  I need to find another server destroying guild to be a part of.  Loved being a member of Covenant of Swords and protecting our borders against evil trespassers on Treachery.  Herogg and Zorak were great guys to have negotiating on our behalf. 

162mG6h.jpg

Hokey lore and ancient design models are no match for a good cash shop, kid.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Let's compare that concept with what Crowfall is doing. Crowfall isn't going to be developing what is commonly known as "content". What ArtCraft is building is a system whereby players and player interactions ARE the content. Want to improve? Use the passive skill system. Want gear? Build relationships with those who can either supply you with the rare mats or or have them craft it for you. Want to win in the campaigns? Work with your faction and strategize. Every item is crafted and outside of the foundational lore, every story you'll tell will be about what happened with other people, not a scripted boss or quest chain. 

I would note that in a game where the players are the content, the game will only be good as its community, so it's all the more important that developers of such games design systems that are inclusive of multiple levels of player dedication and skill.  Games that fill a niche are fine, but if they only attract the most hardcore, elitist players they will implode rather quickly, once the initial pecking-order is established.  This is why I cringe when people talk about turning CF into an e-sport. 

Luke I am your Uncle... Bob.  What, my sister Padmè never mentioned me?

This is the part where we visit exactly what sets a game like Crowfall apart, and it may not be what you think. I want to begin with your term "meaningful content". 

Generally speaking, content is generally considered "stuff the devs give us to do". Most MMORPG's have "content" that can be done by players and it's consumed rather quickly by the hardcore players while it's slowly nibbled on by the rest. During patch cycles, player bases are all waiting for that next patch so they have more stuff to do. 

I believe that there are so many players that are lost, looking to recapture their love for MMO's is because they're looking for the same game they've already played wrapped in a different skin. Maybe it's time for something different. 

Now, here's what happens. Gamers ask for something different but when something truly different comes through, it elicits fear because it's so different. Some of the risks you'll love, some you'll go, "Well, ok we'll wait and see" and others you'll hate. As in indie studio, ArtCraft is going to continue to do things people love or hate, but there's no denying that the final product will be very different than anything I've experienced or most have. 

TL:DR Crowfall is very different and nobody will be waiting for content patches since the systems (if done right) will make interacting with/against other players the content.

I'm oldschool so I see content as more than just Developer created content, or Developer created things to do in the sense of the word now. Content is player created as well, within the Developers idea of a game world. Its what set oldschool games apart like Shadowbane, L2, UO, DAoC etc. It was player created content in the sense that the community created content through PvP or other means. This is meaningful content, not scripted content just to do more scripted content to do more scripted content which is the current design scheme for a majority of MMOs. There is no community in games with design concepts like that because the community doesn't matter outside your 10-20 man group. 

Crowfall is different you are right, but its different in the right way. It might not be directly developer created content but its developer to player created content by giving us as a community the tools to create that content through conflict, trade, economy and other things. Caravans for example are developer created content/systems, but it is up to us as the players to create more with that system through transporting goods, selling protection and laying siege to those caravans for our own materials, as examples. They give us broad spectrum things and allow us the freedom to do with it as we will within the games system. Crowfall has a wider zone for us to do that, where as other games in the last 10+ years have been extremely limited in that aspect. 

You are right a lot of people are looking for that MMO that has been played before in a new skin, once again. But a lot of us are tired and want that new MMO because it is new and actually falls away from an overcrowded genre of the same thing over and over. Something creative and fun again. 

tl;dr 

I agree.

Edited by vunak

let's just hope they really know what they are doing.

That they can acually finish the game with proper polish.

And, unlike other "oldschool" titles, know why / where systems are in the place they are. Most "oldschool" PvP MMO's popping up right now up in risk to have risk but have apparently not the slightest clue why there is "risk" involved in the first place.

I AM ME!
I love you all.