Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Fly on the Wall: Castle Building, Part 2

Interesting tidbits and food for thought. When gathering resources in CW, a lot of planning is going to come into account in order to get the maximum yield.

We've heard a good deal about castle design, but what about construction speed?

This question is directed towards the CWs.

Are castles built instantly in their blueprint completed states?  Do they take time to build and suddenly appear in the world out of nowhere?  Do they take time to build and get a "under construction" appearance while they are still not completely built?

Before this video series, we were given the scenario that you would stumble upon a broken down keep, clear it of monsters and then gather materials and fix it up. I don't remember details about brand new ones(assuming you don't mean upgrades) would that could pop up or be created by us (but I may have forgotten). I assumed at the time, for simplicity, it would have been instantaneous to repair or upgrade once the materials were gathered and the person with the right skill was found. (Honestly, I didn't give it much thought at the time.)

However, incorporating a build timer would open up the need for guilds/groups to plan ahead: do we use these resources to expand/upgrade the keep or for weapons? It would also result in consequences for a lack of planning, as a guild under siege could not immediately upgrade their stronghold as the siege is underway. Definitely something to consider.

Edited by FrostSword

nz8Y2JJ.jpg

Love it! Answered lots of questions. I like that they adress solo play and design with that in mind too.

P.S. The link beneath the news article is broken.

For whatever reason, in my browser I always have to own links for articles on this site in a new tab. I can't just click on it. Edited by ZaphodBeeblebrox

Building took time in SB, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same is true in CF.

been too long... I thought only ranking took time, the initial construction of the building was instant, wasn't it?

I'm really not sure :wacko:

been too long... I thought only ranking took time, the initial construction of the building was instant, wasn't it?

I'm really not sure :wacko:

No, the initial construction took time. They had a separate model for the "under construction" state. It was especially important to get things like walls and spires started well before bane time.

IhhQKY6.gif

At the end, under the Crowfall logo and web address, it still says copyright 2014-2015 ACE, (rather than 16) might want to update that (unless it was actually made last year...)

Edit: Also, I like these.   It feels like there's something censored at ~39ish seconds, but maybe I'm imagining it.

Edited by yamix

Please have a build time on things kinda like RTS... thx

my guess is, that as long as you have the ressources, it'll probably build instantly...

but I agree... some info regarding build time would be nice. Maybe we'll see something like Archeage where you hammer the air a little bit before the building is constructed.

From tonight's Crowns & Crows Stream cast Blair said this is their latest idea thus far:

• 5:58

Blixtev: @Gma_keaggan Hopefully after the materials are added and the thralls start building it will take hours.

I hope this makes the final game. I love that it would take time to build and you can be attacked while it builds lol

Edited by Keaggan

Very interesting.

I assume a single player can not own a quarry.

Depending on the campaign world it would be a faction or a guild (or an array of guilds if they are part of the original guild) which would have access to the factory.

I wonder then who gets to take those 3000 stone and initiate a caravan. I'm sure there will be the random bloke who signs in and decides its a good idea to start this process on his own prematurely.

Can factory goods be taken out before the factory is full? Would this cause a constant trickle of randoms taking out factory goods for transport on pigs?

Maybe as guild leaders we're expected to communicate how we do things and reprimand those that didn't get the memo and prematurely triggered a pig on a 3000 stone caravan only to have it taken by the bandits around the corner.

I can see that work in the shadows / dregs but not in something like god's reach.

So many questions :-)

Edit: I just watched the Crowfall Q&A for October which answers these questions.

Edited by whiplash174

It's not the end of the world, but I'm really not a fan of the instantaneous stuff (construction and factory resource extraction). I'd like to at least have some control over how and why the resources get extracted and at what rate, etc. A "chest" at a lumber mill that automagically gets filled with lumber with no ecfort from anyone is about as trees that simply bear equipment fruit. It feels really arbitrary to have other processes be super in-depth (like transporting/storing the resources, even), while having the process for extracting the resources be simply hands-off.

Same with construction. Sure, having a wall take 30 minutes to be built is better than it being instantaneous, but barely. I'm not suggesting we replace these things with buttons that complete .001% of the process and must be clicked 100,000 times to get work done, but there's got to be a way to let players get more involved in these processes in an interesting way. Maybe factories are all big machines that must be maintained. Maybe you can hitch trees to powerful mounts to pull them down. Hell, maybe you can drive a logging machine around that saws the trees down, and people have to load them into a chute for processing. Maybe that machine needs fuel to be driven around, and can be attacked. Maybe these are all different upgrades and options for one factory type. *shrug*

Braainstorming session! 8)

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

On building castles etc in the CWs.  Maybe have the time decrease based on number of crafters you bring in and their individual skills.  that would encourage more crafters to be in the CWs and also encourage some Protection (aka Muscle) to come along while the crafters are doing their thing.

Edited by Gremel

I find myself constantly impressed by the experience that ACE wields behind the scenes. You can tell that these are people that play games. Anybody who grew up playing games has had this same coversation with a close friend. "You know what would be cool?!"

Keep living the dream for those of us that never got to!

It's not the end of the world, but I'm really not a fan of the instantaneous stuff (construction and factory resource extraction). I'd like to at least have some control over how and why the resources get extracted and at what rate, etc. A "chest" at a lumber mill that automagically gets filled with lumber with no ecfort from anyone is about as trees that simply bear equipment fruit. It feels really arbitrary to have other processes be super in-depth (like transporting/storing the resources, even), while having the process for extracting the resources be simply hands-off.

Same with construction. Sure, having a wall take 30 minutes to be built is better than it being instantaneous, but barely. I'm not suggesting we replace these things with buttons that complete .001% of the process and must be clicked 100,000 times to get work done, but there's got to be a way to let players get more involved in these processes in an interesting way. Maybe factories are all big machines that must be maintained. Maybe you can hitch trees to powerful mounts to pull them down. Hell, maybe you can drive a logging machine around that saws the trees down, and people have to load them into a chute for processing. Maybe that machine needs fuel to be driven around, and can be attacked. Maybe these are all different upgrades and options for one factory type. *shrug*

1. We don't have time for realistic build times. Real castles and cathedrals took generations to build.
  2. Transition animations would be a drain on ACE bandwidth. The artists would have to create the intermediary structures and the server would have to process the extra data. I'm still very concerned about server lag.
  3. Laying out the mats into the buildings desired will take a bit of time anyway, with the structure vulnerable while the mason prepares the build.
  4. A blueprinted structure would be faster to erect, but the recipe would be another thing to trade, spurring the game economy forward.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

The game is more about playing around on and destroying those structure then it is building them. It shouldn't be and by the sounds of it won't be all instant but again it shouldn't be very time consuming, IMO.

Very interesting.

I assume a single player can not own a quarry.

Depending on the campaign world it would be a faction or a guild (or an array of guilds if they are part of the original guild) which would have access to the factory.

I think nobody can own a quarry (at least as they've been discussed so far).  They are more like public PoIs that can have to be physically accessed and held, rather than having a claim mechanic.  Though, I'm not sure they've outright said that, it's the sense I've gotten.

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

I think nobody can own a quarry (at least as they've been discussed so far).  They are more like public PoIs that can have to be physically accessed and held, rather than having a claim mechanic.  Though, I'm not sure they've outright said that, it's the sense I've gotten.

Could be wrong but I thought they said we could build structures around POIs, so maybe we can wall it off a bit but it can be destroyed and gotten around be other players, or maybe only certain types of POIs can be built up. So much info atm its starting to bleed and merge away lol.