Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hardware firewall needed, consumer or business

Mox

Hello there fellow tech as title says, I kinda need to have a consumer or small business hardware firewall, although I don't know which one will suit my needs.

Requirements:  mitigation and filtering (Syn packets, Layer 3,4 and 7 and reduce any up coming bad packets attacks), GUI management from 'server' and firewall cannot be disabled through GUI by human error or malwares.

Although I have been looking at 

Cisco ASA 5505, Cisco ASA 5510 and Cisco ASA 5520 I'd like someone to respond if they have used a personal hardware firewall or have used a hardware firewall for their cloud  servers that did protect your small business from these bad packets.

I will appreciate any little help to make my final decision of purchasing one in future.

Cheers :D .

Edited by Mox

SkDJEH9.png Discord: message me if you want to stay in touch. Retired CrowFall member.

mitigation and filtering (Syn packets, Layer 3,4 and 7 and reduce any up coming bad packets attacks),

Any competent firewall will do this. An ASA will meet this need, but so will any number of other commercial or free products. If you have any old PCs lying around you should strongly consider setting one up as a Linux firewall with PFSense, Untangle Free, or IPFire, rather than buying kit for this purpose.

GUI management from 'server' and

Once again, this is default now with a few rare exceptions like VyOS.

firewall cannot be disabled through GUI by human error or malwares.

You're out of luck here. If an attacker has access to your firewall GUI he can disable its filtering rules. Don't let an attacker into your firewall.

I'm not aware of any free firewalls that support 2FA admin logins, but if you're really concerned about the security of your firewall console that's probably the way to go. The Cisco Meraki MX64 might be a good fit for that scenario - it supports free 2FA via Google Authenticator or similar (same TOTP protocol that Crowfall uses).

Edited by Jihan

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

mitigation and filtering (Syn packets, Layer 3,4 and 7 and reduce any up coming bad packets attacks),

Any competent firewall will do this. An ASA will meet this need, but so will any number of other commercial or free products. If you have any old PCs lying around you should strongly consider setting one up as a Linux firewall with PFSense, Untangle Free, or IPFire, rather than buying kit for this purpose.

GUI management from 'server' and

Once again, this is default now with a few rare exceptions like VyOS.

firewall cannot be disabled through GUI by human error or malwares.

You're out of luck here. If an attacker has access to your firewall GUI he can disable its filtering rules. Don't let an attacker into your firewall.

I'm not aware of any free firewalls that support 2FA admin logins, but if you're really concerned about the security of your firewall console that's probably the way to go. The Cisco Meraki MX64 might be a good fit for that scenario - it supports free 2FA via Google Authenticator or similar (same TOTP protocol that Crowfall uses).

will look into it!

thank you :D

SkDJEH9.png Discord: message me if you want to stay in touch. Retired CrowFall member.