Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chancellor

Necromancer promotion class?

If any stated archetype gets a promotion class specializing in mulching vessels and wrangling thralls, it should be druids.

Discuss

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Hmm the Necromancer is going to be a Discipline or ???

So there is no need for a Discussion cause every (or most) Archetypes will use it like Weoponsmith or Armoursmith.
If every Necromancer must be from the same Archetype (as Druid) it would limit the freedom of the System ACE want to create for players.

#END^^

Bavarie Blue / Happy Tree Friends (HTF) and Pirates of Carribbean (POC)

I'm nottotally againts, but I think druids are for natural ways in everything and necromancy isn't natural. I understand point that druids may be affiliated with spirits but still necromancy isn't fitting for druids.

Hmm the Necromancer is going to be a Discipline or ???

So there is no need for a Discussion cause every (or most) Archetypes will use it like Weoponsmith or Armoursmith.

If every Necromancer must be from the same Archetype (as Druid) it would limit the freedom of the System ACE want to create for players.

#END^^

Blair has stated that Necromancy will be a discipline.

But if the best smiths will be Forgemaster archetype vessels with the crafting-oriented promotion, it follows that the best necromancers should be Druids with a necromancy promotion.

Just like a knight can be a smith, he can also be a necromancer. But the Knight should not be capable of training up to being the best in either craft.

Druids, by their intimate relationship with and understanding of the essence of life and the spirit, deserve a promotion class (or 2) that makes them the premier artisans in these two crafts.

Blair has stated that Necromancy will be a discipline.

But if the best smiths will be Forgemaster archetype vessels with the crafting-oriented promotion, it follows that the best necromancers should be Druids with a necromancy promotion.

Just like a knight can be a smith, he can also be a necromancer. But the Knight should not be capable of training up to being the best in either craft.

Druids, by their intimate relationship with and understanding of the essence of life and the spirit, deserve a promotion class (or 2) that makes them the premier artisans in these two crafts.

I don't know if Forgemaster being the best crafter is still part of the plan. I hope not, as it really doesn't make much sense. Why pigeonhole crafters into a single archetype? They don't want to make god choice a min-max decision, so I can't see them doing it with archetype choice for crafters.

We'll see though. We've got quite a while before we will see forgemasters, druids or crafting.

I don't know if Forgemaster being the best crafter is still part of the plan. I hope not, as it really doesn't make much sense. Why pigeonhole crafters into a single archetype? They don't want to make god choice a min-max decision, so I can't see them doing it with archetype choice for crafters.

We'll see though. We've got quite a while before we will see forgemasters, druids or crafting.

That's not what ACE or I am saying.

Forgemasters will likely be the best (highest max levels) at some crafts, like weaponsmith, armorer, mason, and gemcutter.

Any archetype will be able to craft anything.

But the very best for a craft will have exactly the right start runes, archetype, vessel stats, disciplines, and promotion; and the skill will be trained to max. 

As a community, we are too worried about the very best gear. Most crafted gear will be good enough. The very best will rarely be used, if ever. 

Ignoring everything else if we say that one of the classes WILL be better at it, I think Druids should be the worst at it. Druids are basically life mages, they draw their power from living things including trees, animals etc. Necromancy is basically the thematic opposite of a Druid because draw their power from death. If I had to pick an archetype to match this it would be one of the half breed archetypes or the assassin. The reasoning behind the half breeds like Minotaur for example is that they are living abominations. They would have some innate knowledge of anatomy from their combined racial parts. The reasoning behind assassin would be their knowledge of anatomy through the deadly arts. They would be the closest thing in the Crowfall universe to reapers and the most proficient with chemistry via poison making.

That being said, I think that crafting disciplines shouldn't be directly effected by archetype or specialization. As much as I love min/maxing I don't want to be forced into choosing a different archetype to make my discipline more useful.

If they provided equal but different bonuses to all archetypes Id be okay with that. Then you could use different vessels to increase different stats.

Edited by IdeaMatrix

It is much easier to harm than it is to heal

~ Carmen Pelusi

The value in a vessel or thrall is the life in it.

Druids' knowledge and understanding of that living organism with its spirit missing or subjugated, or that disembodied soul is what helps them craft it better.

Assassins are just thugs who can move undetected and kill quickly. They need no understanding of how to save the best parts of the corpses they leave, nor how to best mulch those parts together into a superior vessel in order to master assassination.

I sort of like the idea of a druid specializing in necromancy. Its easy to look at necromancy as the complete opposite, but couldn't it also be viewed as imbuing life into a vessel? Nurturing a spirit and convincing it to return? It could also conjure up that creepy old witch that lives deep in the woods vibe. I'm okay with that. 

I also like the idea of certain archetypes having advantages in certain aspects. Sort of gives you a less obvious advantage in a lot of ways. I would see no issues with a Forgemaster having an easier time crafting weapons and armor. You can't really balance a game like this, trying to do so is a never ending cycle of you stressing and the community over reacting. Every class is going to have an advantage somewhere, and it will always piss off someone.

Saying that everyone should be equal in these regards is like saying that the Champion or Legionnaire should have the same stealth as other archetypes, just to be fair.

Sneak home and pray you'll never know the hell where youth and laughter go.

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

I did not see any disciplines that referring to Animal taming. I have played other games that was a druid discipline, It works well with druid lore and druid being so weak it has always giving them i boost in power.

Wrong thread but yes. Druids might even get a Charm Monster power that would help us capture wild creatures.

The lady druid looks like an expert snake charmer!

Druids are classified as 'support' in a game whose designers have explicitly stated will not feature fire hose healing, and I don't think there is much joy inherent in playing a character whose biggest competency is 'buff management' or making bows.  I'm guessing there is some room left on the Druid promotion class tree and Vessel crafting fits the lore from of a continuity-of-organic-life perspective.  I don't think any other archetype fits the bill better.

Nah, necromancy belongs to Frostweavers, cold, death, and dark magic all work together. The Crowfall Druid is depicted as a Nature support caster.

As far as actual use, if it's primarily a crafting skill for vessels, it can be native to Frostweaver, and available otherwise as a discipline. It could also be tied to in battle resurrection.

Edited by bahamutkaiser

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I think there is a difference between Necromancy and Vessel crafting, or there should be.  When I think Necromancy, I think "undead" or "dark magic"; I definitely think Frostweaver (because there is clearly no better choice there).  I think Vessel crafting is different though.  To me, it is more like healing in that it is a step to getting a player back on the field to fight again. I see a Necromancer raising a Vessel as the Necro temporarily turning the vessel into a mob and sending it to take further damage while the original owner of said vessel is off eating a sandwich, trying to stanch the tears produced as a result of you having just killed them and then playing "puppet master" with their corpse...

EDIT: Grammatical error

Edited by starrshipcs

Yes. Blair said necromancy (discipline and general skill tree) will be vessel-crafting. That's why I'm calling it that.

Undead in CF will be the Hungry mobs and vampyres (another discipline).

So far, it's looking like failure of a Hunger Resistance (HR) check might ruin a vessel, if not all the parts on it.