Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Equipping the Ranger - Official discussion thread

Is armor going to be class specific?

Or is a chainmail vest going to look the same on all archetypes?

If I'm a ranger and I wear a chainmail vest, could it be that it has over-the-shoulder-ranger-fur... but when a knight wears the same chainmail vest the fur is gone and looks completely different?

That is correct.  You can use the armor that you find, and the stats will be the same, but the cosmetic appearance will be specific to your archetype.

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That is correct.  You can use the armor that you find, and the stats will be the same, but the cosmetic appearance will be specific to your archetype.   Todd ACE

A First Look at the equipment line-up and animation for the Ranger   FULL STORY

That animation was mocapped.  We had a martial arts guy come into our office and do that kata.  and then we spent months trying to figure out how to make it work in actual gameplay.  and eventually it

That animation was mocapped.  We had a martial arts guy come into our office and do that kata.  and then we spent months trying to figure out how to make it work in actual gameplay.  and eventually it just because an emote.

This time, we're making them working power animations from the start.  Mocap lets you create animations really quickly, but getting them to work is a real pain.  I stronghly prefer animation by hand... it's more functional and IMO, it looks better.  (obviously, this last bit is subject to debate!)

Todd

ACE

Neat, thanks for the follow-up!

rSHxVEY.gif

The two-handed movements look ok.  I guess I will have to wait and see during the test to see what they really look like.  Also the helmet, I love wolves, my favorite animal, but even I think that maybe that helmet wouldn't be the best idea, I would think a hood would be more appropriate due to being a ranged character (maybe made from different animal hide that give different stat/power boosts?).  She needs to be able to have a good line of sight and I feel as though the helmet would be too restricting.  I mean I realize it is a game, but you would think a ranger would have a hood instead of a full face helmet.  The bows look sick though :).  I can't wait to play in this next test!!!

Formerly known as - AmazingTacoBurito

Nice work ACE!

I really like it!

Question for the others?

Is armor going to be class specific?

Or is a chainmail vest going to look the same on all archetypes?

If I'm a ranger and I wear a chainmail vest, could it be that it has over-the-shoulder-ranger-fur... but when a knight wears the same chainmail vest the fur is gone and looks completely different?

They had a piece about this way back when...

In the beginning they were gonna limit different types of armours to different types of classes.. so, casters get cloth, assassine types get leather and tanky types get mail.. (the classic division.

What they decided to do (and IMO it was an AWESOME decision) is to allow all classes to wear whatever the hell they want... Allowing the player to decide on what balance he seeks...

Its a given that the stronger the armor the heavier it will be, which limits your casting time and turns abilities slower.. it's a price you pay for more protection, and rather than forcing the player to do what they think it's right.. they leave it up to us to make the right or wrong decision (but honestly, is there really a wrong decision here? As long as you can justify yours I think it's gonna be alright...)

In the end.. given that campaings bring a cycle of beginning middle and end... it might be normal to see casters wearing heavy armor (cuz thats all they managed to get their hands on, in the begging) and then switching to cloth armor towards the end.. (cuz he decided thats better)

Lf6MJUL.png

http://www.legend-gaming.net

Pingu - Member

---------------------------"Winter is coming"---------------------------

Posting as "Leatherworker's Advocate", there are several helmets I could make. It would be a boat load of work as shaping leather is not my strong point.

For the initial three shown (the large picture), the first one could certainly be done by shaped leather. Its actually similar to a pattern I made for a LARP in the past. 

Looking at the second picture all all those helmets mixed in, the first third is definitely the leather section (even though its not labeled), and I wish I had those pictures during the cawstume contest!

That being said, as an archer there is no way I would use most of them. They would definitely hinder more than help. On the flip side I do like how some of them look and don't have any issue using them while duel wielding. 

Just my 2 cents as I've been way too quiet on the boards lately :P

If you did see the extended "armour types for the ranger", there are helms for

Tier 1:

Fox 1 & 2, Hawk, Lynx, Skull, and a NICE OPEN WINGED PATTERN. This is the most usable, I think, and still looks like a baws.

Tier 2:

Heavy Metal Fox (with the top being able to go up; would be cool for Melee <-> Ranged stance-change, but a little silly because it wouldn't lock anyways.)

Closed Snake (cool but no vision)

Open Snake, Which is also quite usable and would work excellently if you were one of Zaleena's henchmen/women.

Tier 3:

Big cats..?, wolf, bear, top-half-skull, some orcish looking thing, another bird like thing, and bear (which is the most usable of this tier).

I cropped the "most usables" and the "transitionary" helm for you guys, for easier viewing;

SB1aIYA.jpg

Personally if we could find more "hoods" (because rangers, duh) or more things like the teir-1 helm, I think this could go well.

Great work anyways, ArtCraft! (And can't wait for male-ranger to come in as well, ofc)

ed;

All the bows are cool, however it seems as the tiers go on, the handles get smaller.. with the largest at tier 1/2 (Large enough for two hands! Wait...) with the smallest on the 4th "teir", and looking completely un-holdable (that is, if you have large hands ala me). TBH even the last one looks like it could be a pain, unless I'm not seeing the scale; in which if they are all large enough to hold in a (fairly) large man's hands, then the first two/three bows have HUGE handles, meant for a champion or something.

That said, styling is beautiful, as always ^_^ As well as the armor.. though the tread on some of those boots makes me think of an un-sayable brand of doll, though it isn't that bad, of course :P

Edited by Michael Fedora

"The enemy has found me, Ulic, but the enemy knows only darkness. I know something that enemy does not… I know the Light." ~ Arca Jeth, Star Wars Legends

I think the armors and helms look awesome, but I agree with some of the others in this thread that the helms look impractical. Cool, but impractical. They would fit better on big melee or protection focused classes like Champions or Knights, classes that aren't concerned with stealth but are inclined to heavy armor and would benefit from looking intimidating.

peastravaganza%20dos_zps4q178jpn.png

I don't really find them impractical so long as there are a variety of headprotections to choose from (if we also have leather masks, hoods, etc.). If crazy animal helms is all any Ranger will ever have on their head, then yeah, that's a bit impractical. However, it still really isn't irksome on a level that affects gameplay. If the game had a first-person view for ranged attacks, then yeah. The helmet would mess up your aim (which would actually be cool in a way).

I think we're just going to have to deal with the fact that this is a game, and, at some point, customization matters more than pure realism (to a degree). It's not as if the game's going to limit you to ONLY gear that's practical in any given situation, so we're gonna see assassins wearing plate, and soldiers wearing cloth, etc. There are just so many little things that aren't going to support realism at all, beyond "that helmet would hinder your vision", like "when do your characters pee, and wouldn't that attract predators?". You can't rightly hold a trial for the helmets without holding one for a lack of showering mechanics that affect detection via smell, etc. Helmet vision impedence is just another thing in the list of realstic factors this fantasy world won't simulate.

Orrrr... You could even have these helmets detriment some kind of Perception/Accuracy stat, and have hoods benefit that stat. Maybe no headgear gives you the best field of vision, but sacrifices protection. *shrug*. Then, there'll be some Rangers who actually stow these helmets when they're out archerizing, and don them when they are planning on participating in much bladesmanry. Those ar legit words. Don't even look them up. o_o

Edited by Lephys

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

I don't really find them impractical so long as there are a variety of headprotections to choose from (if we also have leather masks, hoods, etc.). If crazy animal helms is all any Ranger will ever have on their head, then yeah, that's a bit impractical. However, it still really isn't irksome on a level that affects gameplay. If the game had a first-person view for ranged attacks, then yeah. The helmet would mess up your aim (which would actually be cool in a way).

I think we're just going to have to deal with the fact that this is a game, and, at some point, customization matters more than pure realism (to a degree). It's not as if the game's going to limit you to ONLY gear that's practical in any given situation, so we're gonna see assassins wearing plate, and soldiers wearing cloth, etc. There are just so many little things that aren't going to support realism at all, beyond "that helmet would hinder your vision", like "when do your characters pee, and wouldn't that attract predators?". You can't rightly hold a trial for the helmets without holding one for a lack of showering mechanics that affect detection via smell, etc. Helmet vision impedence is just another thing in the list of realstic factors this fantasy world won't simulate.

Orrrr... You could even have these helmets detriment some kind of Perception/Accuracy stat, and have hoods benefit that stat. Maybe no headgear gives you the best field of vision, but sacrifices protection. *shrug*. Then, there'll be some Rangers who actually stow these helmets when they're out archerizing, and don them when they are planning on participating in much bladesmanry. Those ar legit words. Don't even look them up. o_o

The main problem I saw was the fact of doing what only seemed like heavy tank like plate armor for all the armor tiers. The metal fox helmets of tier one looked no different than the metal bear helmets of tier 4. It's fine if they did heavy armor designs, just not that kind. The ranger seems to not know what it wants. Is it a range, is it a melee/ranged mix, is it an assassin, is it the wolf king, no one knows. The boots, armor and bows looked completely fine, just the helmets of different animals. First off, the variety in animals will just upset more people. The modelers have to make about 4 times as many helmets for a single class, and people will still be unhappy if "their" animal isn't picked. I didn't see a lion one, so my guild would be upset, but I'm sure dragon fans, and bull fans wouldn't be happy either. Making vague armor that matches the overall style of the archetype while keeping the tiers is the way to go. As people said, maybe a hood for cloth, a fur and leather cap for leather, a basic helmet for chain and a solid full helmet (that is just basic and not depicting anything too niche) for plate. 

Overall though it's like having a champion wear a fluffy fur coat or holding a little dagger instead of his normal stuff. It's out of place and just odd.

You guys make a good point; it's not that the helmets are bad, per se, but that closed helms are the only ones in the concept (more or less, see the image I put above).

If one stops thinking of the ranger as a dedicated-ranged archetype(as the Stalker is) and more as a flexible ranged/melee, the more melee-oriented helms start to make sense. We still need some sort of hood/wide-open-helm for those who want to make a more ranged/stealth focused ranger, though.

The different animals for the helms I enjoy, but as you said, Nicholas, it would be impossible to please everyone without tons of work. Definitely will be interesting where AC goes with this.

"The enemy has found me, Ulic, but the enemy knows only darkness. I know something that enemy does not… I know the Light." ~ Arca Jeth, Star Wars Legends

Todd,

Don't forget that the most popular head piece in shadowbane was the hood.

You would find people wearing all kinds of different armor sets with cloth or leather hoods.

Think about the most famous ranger in all fantasy lore.

Strider wore a hood :)

Make sure they are a valid look for rangers.

I personally would never wear an animal fur cap.. It just isn't me :)

Edited by PaleOne

www.lotd.org       pking and siege pvp since 1995

Todd,

Don't forget that the most popular head piece in shadowbane was the hood.

You would find people wearing all kinds of different armpit sets with cloth or leather hoods.

Think about the most famous ranger in all fantasy lore.

Strider wore a hood :)

Make sure they are a valid look for rangers.

I personally would never wear an animal fur cap.. It just isn't me :)

What about an animal fur hood? lol.. But I agree, hoods!  The helms are cool, but hoods also please :)!

Formerly known as - AmazingTacoBurito

There are two kinds of fighters, the quick and the tough.  Quick guys probably would wear a hood and tough guys would wear a helmet and more metal armor.  You can block a sword with wax infused boiled leather but Id take a decent metal helm with padding under it any day.  You wouldnt want to take a firm hit from a hammer or axe to either one though.

My only complaint is the aspect of dual wielding on the ranger. You would generally utilize one weapon for offense and one for defense, intermixing strikes as needed, and using both weapons to block heavier swings generally. She looks like she's just winging it. 

Besides that complaint, love the look of the gear, her overall aesthetic, and feel. 

• 2 months later...