Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Skills FAQ: How to train your crow - Official discussion thread

I'm looking forward to trying this in Hunger Dome.

The amount of granular customization seems enormous on it's face.  The key, as always, is in the implementation.

7. DO I START WITH ALL THE SKILLS? ARE ANY SKILLS LOCKED OR HIDDEN?

Crows have access to most skills from the moment the account is created – assuming the necessary pre-requisites are trained.

However, some skills have to be found via in-game methods such as looting, crafting and/or winning campaigns. We call these skills Arcane Knowledge. Once an Arcane Knowledge skill has been unlocked, that account (‘crow’) will have access to that skill across all characters (‘vessels’) - subject, of course, to normal vessel restrictions as described above.

So will all skill branches be already known and just not accessible until you get those in-game methods accomplished, or will additional skill branches be hidden and only appear once you accomplish those methods?

So will all skill branches be already known and just not accessible until you get those in-game methods accomplished, or will additional skill branches be hidden and only appear once you accomplish those methods?

If I had to guess, I'd say they'll be visible right off the bat. I actually hope, however, that we find them by accomplishing certain things and/or completing certain skill branches. Still though, confirmation would be nice ^_^

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

Is there any thought on complementary software for smart devices (cell phones and whatever) to manage what an account trains?  Or an open API to allow 3rd party application management?  or if not management, at least monitoring....

I had thought that the EK's may offer an opportunity for meaningful small device interaction, but this sounds like it would work as well.

{edited addition} without effecting competitive game-play of course... 

Edited by things4fun

Is there any thought on complementary software for smart devices (cell phones and whatever) to manage what an account trains?  Or an open API to allow 3rd party application management?  or if not management, at least monitoring....

I had thought that the EK's may offer an opportunity for meaningful small device interaction, but this sounds like it would work as well.

{edited addition} without effecting competitive game-play of course... 

I think it would be nice to monitor your skills on an app, at the very least. Be able to log on, check your account and be like "Wow, my Blacksmithing is looking good! Maybe I'll try forging that Rose Gold sword tonight..." And as for changing which skills are passively training, I think that'd be pretty awesome too. Remembering that you're scouting tonight and you forgot to change your passive from crafting to exploration, so you log on to the app and change it while you're at work. That'd be amazing!

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

Does this mean any kind of active training is out the window?

Yes...I believe so. There will be no active training of skills. i.e...if they do enable offline manipulation of skills...I could be training skills for years from my phone app without ever logging into the game. The passage of time is the only thing that allows skills to be trained...not fighting mobs...not doing quests...not pvping...not mining ore...not making armor...only the passage of time. 

Yes...I believe so. There will be no active training of skills. i.e...if they do enable offline manipulation of skills...I could be training skills for years from my phone app without ever logging into the game. The passage of time is the only thing that allows skills to be trained...not fighting mobs...not doing quests...not pvping...not mining ore...not making armor...only the passage of time. 

and what would be the point of that? The point of a game is to actually, you know, play it. So what if can train skills when offline you don't get any use out of it unless you actually play the game. Progression while important obviously isn't the end all be all like it is in themepark type games. Here we get to jump right to the actual real part of game and skip the boring lvl/quest grind before we can start playing. That's a huge plus in my book. 

A couple of questions...

1. Will there be any type of "refinement" or "respecing"? In other words, will there be a way to recapture skill points invested in skill trees that you later believe were not worth the investment? 

2. It appears that all archetypes will have availability to all armor types. It also appears that some archetypes will get bonuses with some armor types (i.e. Knight with Plate) which would allow him to raise his useable Plate Armor skill beyond what a Druid may be able to raise their plate armor skill.   A. Am I understanding this correctly? B. If so, will this be the primary way of encouraging (or discouraging) the armor/archetype combinations? C. Are you even concerned with the "Tank Mage" issue seen in other games and genres?

3. In light of most crafting skills being "general"...the same as basic combat and basic exploration...and without any method for active skill progression...it would appear that this system will greatly encourage players to maintain (at least) 2 accounts...one for crafting, and one for combat. I say that because you can only have one general skill advancing at a time. If I'm a combat oriented crow...I'll want to always be training a combat oriented skill. Any time devoted to crafting oriented skills will necessarily mean that I am falling behind the combat curve. Conversely, if I want the best crafter in the land, I must always be training my crafting skills. Any time devoted to general combat skills will necessarily mean that I'm falling behind on the master crafter curve. Is this what you intend? Am I missing something that negates this logic? 

4. Do you still plan on having certain Archetypes who have their own crafting skills...ie the Forgemaster having certain unique Blacksmithing skills? If so, will this be just the Forgemaster or will other Archetypes have crafting skills associated only with that Archetype? The reason I think this is important to know (now) is that the decision between a VIP or Ordinary Account is critically important if Crafting is only a general skill vs multiple Archetype Skills. If Crafting is only developed on the general skill trees...then I can have an "alt account" that isn't VIP...and still be the Master Crafter of the land. If Forgemasters are the best Blacksmiths and Confessors are the best Necromancers and Druids are the best Tailors and Assassins make the best Potions....then I'll want my alt account to be VIP so I can be developing 3 Archetype based craftsman skills at a time.

Edited by Gradishar

and what would be the point of that? The point of a game is to actually, you know, play it. So what if can train skills when offline you don't get any use out of it unless you actually play the game. Progression while important obviously isn't the end all be all like it is in themepark type games. Here we get to jump right to the actual real part of game and skip the boring lvl/quest grind before we can start playing. That's a huge plus in my book. 

Pang...I think you assumed that I was being critical of the design. I'm not (at least not yet). I was simply explaining how I understand it to work...not judging whether its appropriate, wise or otherwise advisable. 

Pang...I think you assumed that I was being critical of the design. I'm not (at least not yet). I was simply explaining how I understand it to work...not judging whether its appropriate, wise or otherwise advisable. 

Yep np, I was more addressing the notion that it removes the point in playing that I've seen expressed elsewhere as well and not so much you directly.

Does this mean any kind of active training is out the window?

Not as far as I know. Passive training was always supposed to be in the game, combined to active training. The character & advancement FAQ still mentions active training: Is there active training, too? Yes, you can advance a skill through use -- but only to get proficiency. Passive training is the primary way of advancing your character's skills.

Edited by courant101

Not as far as I know. Passive training was always supposed to be in the game, combined to active training. The character & advancement FAQ still mentions active training: Is there active training, too? Yes, you can advance a skill through use -- but only to get proficiency. Passive training is the primary way of advancing your character's skills.

Ok...I re-read the FAQ...which was updated with the Vessel/Crow reveal...so it does appear that there is limited active training of skills. I'm not sure what "proficiency" means...and whether this is true of all skills, some combat, some crafting, or what...but it is interesting...

Edited by Gradishar

ACE...is this correct? You will still have "active skill advanced to get proficiency"? (whatever proficiency may mean)

Would love to get some clarification as well. While they didn't outright say it was removed, we didn't hear anything about it in all the new info we have gotten about the skill system. Only about the passive part and time based training.

Better question, can we expect to see passive skills / traits change the functionality of active abilities? For instance perhaps a skill or trait that lets warriors pull more players with his hook, or a trait that let's the confessor summon more tornadoes, or shoot more fire balls? If passive skills / traits only make you more proficient / increase you damage co-efficiency; that's VERY boring.

This is one thing I really liked about ESO, you level'd your abilities, and eventually you could change them and give them additional functionality. Kept the game fresh and interesting. Do the devs envision something similar for crowfall? If we get stuck with the same static abilities for the majority of our play experience per archetype with no way to swap abilities in and out; that sounds very dull and moba-ish.

Edited by helix

Better question, can we expect to see passive skills / traits change the functionality of active abilities? For instance perhaps a skill or trait that lets warriors pull more players with his hook, or a trait that let's the confessor summon more tornadoes, or shoot more fire balls? If passive skills / traits only make you more proficient / increase you damage co-efficiency; that's VERY boring.

This is one thing I really liked about ESO, you level'd your abilities, and eventually you could change them and give them additional functionality. Kept the game fresh and interesting. Do the devs envision something similar for crowfall? If we get stuck with the same static abilities for the majority of our play experience per archetype with no way to swap abilities in and out; that sounds very dull and moba-ish.

I'm fairly certain there will be ability swapping due to limited space for abilities to sit and be used actively, but I'm not 100% on how exactly that works. I know they said that as you increase the passive proficiencies more skills will become available with time, but I'm not going to bother trying to claim that I know what skills will pop up and when. I have no freaking clue what will happen, but I hope that the functionality of skills will, in fact, be impacted by choices, especially since they've revealed "Arcane Knowledge" passive skills. I can't imagine those having no impact, or else they wouldn't be called "Arcane Knowledge" right? And maybe increasing the passive gives you a special skill at a certain point. I mean, I certainly hope so, and I'm sure I'm not alone on that.

The reason I'm rather sure about skill-swapping is A. the ability to change Archetypes by having vessels handy, B. just because you have the same Archetype as another does not mean you play the exact same way, and C. because of all the different general skill trees (Combat, Crafting, Exploration) that every vessel can access, albeit to a different degree due to vessel specialization. I doubt you can have 6-7 branches in each tree (Crafting: Blacksmithing, Necromancy, Lapidary, etc) and not be switching out skills over time as you branch through your own specializations and then start on others once one is complete.

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

Really like this system for dealing with character progression. However, what to me is a potential red flag is how each skill auto gains xp even when logged off, I like that that helps keep the power discrepancy lower, but my concern is skills maxing out too quickly, I hope the rate of xp gain is closely looked at to ensure it is not *too* quick. 

For the night is dark and filled with terrors.