Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Handies

I am really not looking forward to the launch zerg days

It will happen. It has happened in every mmo that has had a form of WPvP. A few guilds get swell and zerg around until people quit or the server gangs up on them. This is why I am all for player police. I loved it when the whole server would show up for a Na/Eu bane against Cn, especially when it came to a def Na/Eu bane. 

Well, one can only wish that we will not have this at the start...

You can already see the first steps towards this on the forum here.

It's always the same pattern though. It's always the rather inexperienced folks that gravitate towards forming large alliances.

It'll pan out like you already said, sooner or later, they will crumble, because the smaller guilds will band together and take them out, then cherry pick the good players while the rest quits.

I just hope a CW's duration is (on average) long enough, for the whole cycle to unfold.

All you need is a small, organized group of players to start whacking objectives, wagons, ect. Cause enough disorder, and the bigger guilds that have inexperienced leadership and inexperienced player bases will flop like a fish as there territory goes bye bye.

All you need is a small, organized group of players to start whacking objectives, wagons, ect. Cause enough disorder, and the bigger guilds that have inexperienced leadership and inexperienced player bases will flop like a fish as there territory goes bye bye.

oh why tell me more please...

Crowfall has a lot of ANTI zerg stuff, yes it will happen but it will be a lot better than other games.

CF has nothing, other games haven't had before when it comes to "anti-zerg-mechanics" or whatever you wanna call them

oh why tell me more please...

CF has nothing, other games haven't had before when it comes to "anti-zerg-mechanics" or whatever you wanna call them

How many other games have friendly fire

How many other games have real death penalties like loosing gear or your body or degrading to the point of breaking

How many other games have limited to zero fast travel

How many other games can your mount die

How many other games have friendly collision detection

NOT GW2, ESO, DAOC, Arche Age, WoW... etc etc etc

In fact those games add things that make Zerging WORSE... like insta travel between keeps (eso) or giant commander pins that are Zerg magnets (gw2) or tiny little maps that zergs can get around in seconds..

Freeze... dont you get tired of being negative all the time. If you put 1/2 a second of thought in you would see the obvious and not make people point it out to you all the time.

MOkvLlm.png

thx for listing all the features that were in Darkfall Ziz...

now tell me about the zerg history of that game... a game that dubbed the first big wars in its game "World War 1 and 2" because of the insane amount of players involved.

oh I forgot, you've never played it... yet here you are commenting on how it'll pan out, without any experience in the matter. Don't get me wrong, of course you're allowed to comment, but don't preach it, like CF re-invented the wheel and will somehow keep the amount of zergs in check.

Freeze... dont you get tired of being negative all the time. If you put 1/2 a second of thought in you would see the obvious and not make people point it out to you all the time.

I've said this repeatedly... I'm not negative, I'm a very pragmatic person. I call it like I see it, always have, always will.

People get offended by this sometimes, yet it is not my intention, but it's not my job to protect someone's ohso delicate feelings.

Stop looking at me like a villain.

From what we know so far I feel zerging will be the worst in Gods Reach and the Infected world bands.  For the reasons Ziz has stated above, I don't believe it's going to be as bad as other games.

Will we run in to zerging or being outnumbered 5:1? Absolutely.  Play smart and don't be a baddie and you should be be fine :D  If you lose to a zerg get over it and make some friends and stop it next time.

"Float like a Butterfly.... Sting like a Misplaced Decimal Point" - Xarrayne 2018

YouTube Channel

Well, one can only wish that we will not have this at the start...

I don't understand your point. What are you saying? What don't you want from the start.

Below your statement seems anti-zerg

A few guilds get swell and zerg around until people quit or the server gangs up on them. ..

Then you say you love zergs for defense?

loved it when the whole server would show up for a Na/Eu bane against Cn, especially when it came to a def Na/Eu bane. 

Zergs and counter-zergs, alliances and counter-alliances, turncoats, spies, and economic dependency, are all part of the intended meta-game according to JTodds sandbox vision.

So what is it you're not looking forward to, I can't filter or process your cognitive dissonance. However I really like the title of your post and I think the zerg of customers trying to login to the client, on day one, is worth discussion. But somehow I don't think that's the topic your trying to run with.

I'll lurk a bit see if a topic takes shape.   

Edited by corvax

Think some might be confusing large number of players in a battle to a zerg. A zerg is more about mindset than it is numbers. Just because you have a large number of players in the same area doesn't automatically mean its a zerg. Zergs happen because of poor game mechanics that allow it and allow lazy players to just follow the herd like sheep and like said above CF more than most has the features in place to discourage it.

Edited by pang

CF more than most has the features in place to discourage it.

see, people keep saying this, but CF also has features, aka actual loss of things, which make people want to band together even more, and thus seek safety in numbers, which will automatically result in zerg-like scenarios.

Beating other players with larger numbers has and always will be a feasible tactic. Mostly employed by people of a lower skill level, but that is beside the point.

Unless you impose player limits for teams, there will always be discrepancies in the number of players and people will always yell zerg. Noone cares whether your definition of a zerg is different.

now tell me about the zerg history of that game... a game that dubbed the first big wars in its game "World War 1 and 2" because of the insane amount of players involved.

oh I forgot, you've never played it... yet here you are commenting on how it'll pan out, without any experience in the matter. Don't get me wrong, of course you're allowed to comment, but don't preach it, like CF re-invented the wheel and will somehow keep the amount of zergs in check.

I've said this repeatedly... I'm not negative, I'm a very pragmatic person. I call it like I see it, always have, always will.

People get offended by this sometimes, yet it is not my intention, but it's not my job to protect someone's ohso delicate feelings.

zpjhojL.gif

see, people keep saying this, but CF also has features, aka actual loss of things, which make people want to band together even more, and thus seek safety in numbers, which will automatically result in zerg-like scenarios.

Beating other players with larger numbers has and always will be a feasible tactic. Mostly employed by people of a lower skill level, but that is beside the point.

Unless you impose player limits for teams, there will always be discrepancies in the number of players and people will always yell zerg. Noone cares whether your definition of a zerg is different.

That was pretty much my point that just because people gather and travel in groups doesn't automatically mean its a zerg. That feature you mention as well as other encourages teamwork and smart play, pretty much the opposite of what a zerg is. So yeah it matters what ones definition of zerg is because if one is going to argue and make points about it should at least know whats being talked about and not use examples that don't even apply to the topic.

This is the most definitive argument I have read on the Crowfall boards pertaining to this subject, well done sir.

Since there are penalties to dieing, zerging on higher risk maps is going to be a non-bo strategy. Top tier vassals, runes, and equipment being lost, damaged, ect on death? Even the most hardcore don't want to deal with spending days of prep time for sieges and combat all to be lost due to a zerg, friendly fire, and damage due to combat. 

I think we need to wait until the game comes to fruition before we start having heated discussions about zergs. It is a discussion that needs to be had before hand, but any action you take in theory will always have unintended consequences when put in to practice. So far the developers seem really receptive to feedback, and I have faith they will continue to do so after launch. With the complexity of this game I believe they put enough into this game where it can be tweaked in multiple different ways to achieve the balanced results. I think at the end of the day the job falls on us players to give constructive and meaningful feedback to the developers, and then we have give them time to work through a problem. It also falls on the community to make sure that bad behavior is discouraged. If the community can work together we can beat the zergs and keep beating them until they try a different method. I know my post seems all flowers and blutterflies, but we can sit here and debate ad nausem about a game that isn't finished yet. The game is suppose to be finished in as little as 10 months, but in my mind I'm already telling myself that it will be 2 years before this is a game is actually finished and some what polished. 

A good community can be a powerful tool in helping build and grow a game. They very much rely on us to help them achieve their vision. But sometimes if we have a very loud minority who bully people who don't share their view (not accusing you), it poisons the well and the community. I can think of many very popular games where this happened that are still popular today. But the game is no where near as fun and they play it too safe now when creating content.