Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Amazon's Game Engine (based on CryEngine) available for free

Helix

Thanks for the post. That looks awesome.

i wonder if the engine will only run on AWS. I wonder what the licensing is like as well. Amazon probably owns some portion of the game rights or something.

From what I've understood, the AWS and Twitch features are integrated in the engine itself and for multiplayer games it would be required to use the AWS services. It would be based on Crytek and allow the use of AAA tools and free assets. https://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/downloads Anyone would be able to download it and use it for free, never pay any type of fees, but I guess developers have to keep in mind that they'll have to use AWS eventually.

LY-Downloads_2.png

EditorShot_Meadow.png

Thanks for the post. That looks awesome.

i wonder if the engine will only run on AWS. I wonder what the licensing is like as well. Amazon probably owns some portion of the game rights or something.

They said that if you have your own hardware you can use your own servers and never pay them a dime. Paraphrasing of course. The only thing you cannot do is use the source to create your own engine, sell it as your own, or use another sever service. Basically, if you don't have the hardware and will use a service, it has to be amazon, and you can do all you want to the source code as long as you don't sell it or pass it off as your own or adapt it for your own engine. They don't own any rights to any of the products. One caveat is you agree to the AWS terms of service when using lumberyard (Which isn't really a big deal). I mean, if it is as good as they are making it out to be, I have no problem paying them for a service they already provide. And micro instances (for testing and development) are dirt cheap. And assuming it goes well, the game will pay for the server time itself. Or it could be single player no server and you don't need AWS at all(so no costs there). We are looking into it at school. Can you tell I'm excited?

Edited by FrostSword

nz8Y2JJ.jpg

The monetization model appears to be quite amazing.

However, as it seems to be built on the Cry Engine foundations, I wonder if the Client is massively multiplayer friendly...

Not sure how suited it is to MMO games, but on the website we can read "We’ve hired some of the best game technologists in the world, who have already made over 41 pages of additions, fixes, and improvements to Lumberyard. For example, we’ve integrated a brand new networking layer, GridMate, so your engineers can more easily build low-latency, high-player count, multiplayer games."

ArcheAge and Star Citizen seem to run on CryEngine.