Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nazdar

Lumberyard vs. Unity

It looks interesting. We will be experimenting with it at my university. We use AWS for our mobile dev classes, so no extra costs for us there.

or how much of a delay it would be to switch the work from unity 5 to lumberyard

Considering the programming/scripting languages used are not the same... probably a while.

Edited by FrostSword

nz8Y2JJ.jpg

Yeah, jumping development tracks at this point would be a terrible idea.  Unity is a more-than-solid option.

I do see Lumberyard being an interesting alternative for developers.  I always welcome competition.  If anything, it will push Unity to be better.

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

I agree. Also considering Lumberyard is still in a Beta, definitely sticking with Unity for more serious projects. It is intriguing though, and competition keeps everyone improving (or they fall behind and die, but let's stay positive).

nz8Y2JJ.jpg

Emulating Star Citizen's development plan is probably not on any serious producer's to-do list.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Idk anyone who has legit made a large scale mmorpg game with unity. Really dont think the engine can handle it at all, not to mention all the features of the new updated lumberyard engine, its not about replicating anyone, I just dont think unity is gonna cut it. Never thought it could. So seeing lumberyard is actually being used even more so by a HUGE project like Star Citizen, should def make one think twice.

krevra.png

At the moment CF is struggling with more than 50 players on a smallish map. Some of this may be graphics but I think most of the glitching and rubberbanding is to do with their network code and server side issues.

Picking Unity was certainly a brave move, as there are a few proven engines (e.g. cry engine) available that could have been used.

Lumberyard has good potential especially as it's integrated with Amazon's cloud infrastructure which CF uses.

o8WHnLc.png

THE most active European guild. Join us

now!