Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Unveiling the Skill Trees - Official discussion thread

Pann

I love it, but.... kind of what freeze said. I would rather have a bunch of abilities as an option rather fewer choices locked into a hot bar. Eash castable is going to cost mana/stamina/rage whatever. Let me make the decision on where I will spend it. Less is not more.

This is the part that has me concerned:

JTC: Disciplines will increase the maximum amount of skill that is applied to a vessel from the crow.

Please tell me that disciplines will do more than that. Is the plan now to make every bit of customization tied directly to skills?

This is the part that has me concerned:

JTC: Disciplines will increase the maximum amount of skill that is applied to a vessel from the crow.

Please tell me that disciplines will do more than that. Is the plan now to make every bit of customization tied directly to skills?

He is talking about how Disciplines will work with the skill system because the question he was asked was:"how will they work with this skill system?"

Context often matters.

IhhQKY6.gif

Those guys will hire anybody!  :D

I have to say I was genuinely impressed with the number of skills shown, but just as genuinely concerned about balancing all of them. Its also interesting that the tree layout basically allows for people to alt, but instead of alting a character you alt your skills and level up that class's tree. As a life long sufferer of alt-i-tis this comforts me greatly. 

Edited by tierless

I role play a wordsmith.

I am excited and scared after seeing this update. On the one hand the amount of skills is exciting in the same way Path of Exile's skill tree is exciting. But it also makes me think how long will it take to max out an archetype. Further I feel like we shouldn't have to pick between combat and crafting with our general skills. I would prefer being able to train 1 general combat, 1 crafting, 1 exploration, and 1 arch. I guess it will depend on the curve to max the skills.

Also, are vessels intended to act as somewhat of a limiter to training in that it makes no sense to train a skill past what a vessel can commonly use. As I understand it, my Crow could have trained sword past what my vessel can use.

So...we will slot active skills..and passive? Its like TSW, you will slot passives too..or like TESO? 

Or we will craft the vessel with passives? 

No, nothing like TSW. Skill training is passive, in that once you select the skills you want to train, you don't have to actively do anything to train them. They simply increase over time.

You can place discipline runes into a vessel to increase the max skills that the vessel will allow.

Example: You train One Handed Swords to 120, but the knight vessel you picked up at the graveyard is of common quality. It only allows skills up to 100. So even though you have trained One Handed Swords to 120, you only get the benefit of the first 100 skill points. You don't lose the other 20. They are still attached to your crow. But when you swing your one handed sword, you hit as though your skill 100 instead of 120.

You can apply a discipline rune to raise the vessels max to 120, in which case you would get the full benefit of your skill training in One Handed Swords.

Looking over those skills, makes me think about how much I like gathering.  Looks like combat account, crafting/gather/support account and then spy account.  The first two will have the most overlap.

so, too many abilities is bad, because, you know, they're all doing the same if there're too many...

but having 327 skills for wearing armor is fine... gotcha

Looking at the armor tree for example it seems like they took all of the combined stats other games use for armor, then gave each of them 1 path to level, plus multiple tiers on that path. For example we might have "fire resist", it has its own tree and you can get up to fire resist lvl 5. That breakdown might make the numbers easier to crunch, but I'm not sure how exciting it makes progressing through them.

I role play a wordsmith.

Mr. Timothy Eisenzimmer,

Please don't call nubs "chicks"!

That term is offensive to some females, even if you define it completely differently as a diminutive for newly hatched crows.

Edited by chancellor

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

so, too many abilities is bad, because, you know, they're all doing the same if there're too many...

but having 327 skills for wearing armor is fine... gotcha

It's much easier to create passive skills than active ones that require new animations and art. Also they want a lot of long term progression and character building in this game.

With that said I'm hoping there will be a bunch of active skills you can unlock in some of the trees. 

I'm actually warming to the idea of only 1 general skill. I like the exclusivity of the crafting vs combat choice. I'd still like to see VIP improved in some meaningful way though.

Being allowed to train only 1 general still means it is better to own multiple accounts instead of paying VIP. At least as far as a long-term plan goes. It is currently far too flawed.

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?