Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need new pc

Jackd

My current system doesnt meet game requirements. I am looking into pre-builts from Digital Storm. Any feedback on that company. I have primarly used dell / alienware before.

Alienware is far, faaar too much overpriced.

You could let your System be build by Eminem, who gives the job to another person, which also needs to be paid, building the system in china and have Michael Jordan personally bringing the new pc from china to your living place, and it would still be less expensive than buying from Alienware.

Are these people still up to date celebs or am I just getting old btw?!

You should wait for the next generation of pc hardware.

There is coming new, much better hardware towards the end of this year, somewhere in the late second half of the year.

Which pc case did you want to buy?

I am pretty good with pc cases so i can give you advice there.

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

I currently have an older dell XPS - Q9300 2.5GHz 32 bit OS with a GTX 280 video card... was great for a while, but not for this game (I've just been playing LOTRO and doing other basic browser based stuff).

I am looking at the basic Apollo setup.  - i7 6700K CPU, 8GB DDR4 2666MHz Memory, 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, GTX 970 4GB ... seems more than adequate for Crowfall, probably will upgrade to 16GB RAM but don't really want to spend more for the GTX 980 TI right now.

Thoughts on setup and company?  I know its not the best system, but I don't have a need to always have the best and honestly can't spend the extra funds right now.

The setup is pretty good if you only want to play Crowfall now and in the future.

I really would wait a bit for the new hardware to come out, also the harware now will be much cheaper then.

No ideas of the company.

I would, but that is kinda always true that better stuff is comming... and I really want to get into Alpha soon. Thanks for the feedback Urahara.

Yes I know what you mean, I am thinking usually the same way, but the new Hardware this year is a bigger jump from a technologically standpoint.

They were trying for years to get this new technology right, but werent able to.

Also the prices of the hardware out now will drop significantly once the new hardware is out.

If you got a friend who can build PC's its gonna be a bit cheaper maybe too.

I'm a self-builder, but Digital Storm looks to have pretty good reviews and customer satisfaction based on a v basic google search. If you're comfortable paying someone else $200 to build and support your PC they look like a decent option.

"new hardware" is always around the corner. The Kaby Lake processors are just an incremental upgrade to Skylake; by the time they come out something else will be in the pipeline. If you need something now then just get it now.

With that said, video cards are about to get a significant bump in performance, much more than the usual yearly refresh. You might want to consider finding a cheap older card to carry you for a few months and then grab one of the new Pascal cards when they come out, instead of getting a 970 now. On the other hand, if you're not looking to game at 4K, a 970 will let you game just fine at 1080 or 1440, so if you're happy with that then go for it.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Whats with the new AMD Zen processors Jihan?

Arent they gonna be good?

I wait for them.

I wanna go with AMD for my next pc.

I always had Intel and Nvidea before.

Edited by Urahara

If you have an application that can usefully leverage more than 4 cores - typically this means graphics rendering, media transcoding, or server virtualization - then Zen will be an interesting option. For most gamers, we'll be lucky if Zen's performance catches up to Intel's, much less offering any significant improvement. And then we get into chipset maturity - by the time Zen comes out Intel will be on their third generation of 14nm technology and Socket 1151 based motherboards, vs a brand new motherboard solution from AMD.

I'd be very happy to see AMD become relevant again but they have an awful lot of catching up to do before I throw any dollars their way. And I say that as someone who has built and used AMD PCs.

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Most games do not make use of four cores. More and more games are. An i7 is the usually overkill unless you're utilising cpu intensive programs such as maya, revit, autocad, ect. An i5 is the best bang for your buck. Intel 4690k I know many gamers have switched to. Solid performance and cost. If you found an older i7 2600k for cheap in good condition then pick that puppy up. Performance differences in cpus are pretty minor in the past years.

A solid mobo in the 75-120 price range is what you're looking for.

You want a powerful video card, best for money is either a Gtx 970 or radeon 380. Want more power and performance with a longer tech life span 980. The 390 is better if you're going budget and don't mind more power consumption and noise.

Your rig will be ran on 8+gb of ram and should be ran on Windows 7,8.1, or 10 professional 64bit.

Power source wise around 650w give or take a 50. Gold rated are love.

You don't need liquid cooling, but it's cool to have. Fans work just fine if you don't mind a little noise.

Edited by reselath

Cool, thanks for all the feedback.  My monitor isn't even 1080p... probably should move up on that too.  Currently have a Samsung SyncMaster 204b.  Any monitor preferences or brands to avoid?

Gold rated are love.

PSU efficiency is meaningless to the vast majority of end users. You will never make back enough money on your power bill to pay the price difference between a bronze and gold PSU. The only time you should buy Gold or better is if you have dozens of PCs in a room and you need to care about cooling budget.

Tully

You will never make back enough money on your power bill to pay the price difference between a bronze and gold PSU.

In the USA for sure.

Here its different.

But of course the price of a PSU is important.

PSU efficiency is meaningless to the vast majority of end users. You will never make back enough money on your power bill to pay the price difference between a bronze and gold PSU. The only time you should buy Gold or better is if you have dozens of PCs in a room and you need to care about cooling budget.

There are different reasons for PSU efficency- because efficency most of the time translates into power stability , and in some countries who do not have good power lines where voltage is quite unstable, a good psu is a must to protect your hardware , there are alot of situations where even gold PSU's from thrusted companies such as Evga fried up computers.

If you're worried about power quality, you need to put a line-interactive UPS in line to condition your power. Relying on your PSU to handle dirty power is a recipe for failure no matter how much you spend on it.

Tully

Will AMD have new video cards this year?

I mean really new ones, not just renamed/relabeled.

They are also working on FinFet 14nm based video cards, its either coming late this year or early next year. I know for sure its finfet , but it could be 14 or 16. 

If you're worried about power quality, you need to put a line-interactive UPS in line to condition your power. Relying on your PSU to handle dirty power is a recipe for failure no matter how much you spend on it.

As you remember Haswell CPU's, they were consuming very little power when they were idle, and therefore they needed platinium or above power supply to be able to provide stable - low - voltage. Line interactive Ups will save your PC from situations where voltage from the outside is going to cause problems, but it wont save your pc from situations where the problem is on the power supply. If you are going for budget, its ok to go bronze, ive never had any problems with bronze for 7+ years. But if you are going for builds that cost 2000$ dollars, it would make no sense not to spend $100 extra on power supply

The newest Skylake chips use less power.  I have built my own machines for years but have purchased online.

Mixed reviews on Digital Storm.  I ordered a machine from them last year but cancelled after 3 weeks of no activity on my order (Didn't stop them from charging my credit card) so I would be wary...

I have had good luck with Origin PC in the past.

I would stay away from Alienware.  I purchased from them years ago before the Dell acquisition.  I wouldn't touch them now - just look at the reviews online.

If you are building yourself, you'll save some bucks.

Peeps here have given some good advice.  You will be fine with an i5 processor but could also benefit from an i7.  Never games are using multi-cores.  Stay away from AMD for now.  They run hot and aren't the best bang for the buck.  (I'm a former fanboi too)

Try and shoot for 16 gig of ram if you can afford it; 8 minimally.

I decent SSD for your OS and a mechanical drive (ES Black) for games files

I would look at AMD for video if you are price-sensitive.  They rule the mid-range.  RF9  380 or 390 are great cards at a great price point 

Corsair's entry level "200" case is sharp and easy to work with.

HP makes a couple decent IPS monitors.  Plan on 1920 x 1080 and you'll get decent performance with the cards mentioned.

Best of luck.

Try and shoot for 16 gig of ram if you can afford it; 8 minimally.

I decent SSD for your OS and a mechanical drive (ES Black) for games files

Thanks Seaspite.  For the game files, I was planning on putting them on the SSD too.  Any reason to put on HDD?

I did order from Digital Storm.  I'll update post once I have the machine - assuming their build and ship is better than when you tried (I wouldn't wait 3 weeks with nothing either). 

Edited by Jackd

If you have room, sure, put everything on your SSD. If you have to make a choice between using your SSD for games vs OS due to limited capacity, then it's more important to have your OS on the SSD. A 250GB is plenty big for OS plus a few games.

I'd recommend partitioning your SSD into a 100GB drive for OS and then a separate drive for game installations, so that you can reinstall your OS if you need to without losing all your installed programs.

Tully