Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crafting Weapons and Weapon Statistics

ShadowDurza

New MMO's in development are taking crafting in a different direction. Instead of some resources being better than others, they are focusing on different resources having different properties. So I've been thinking about how this could be applied.

For most weapons in both real-life and in games there are three types of damage, cutting, blunt and piercing. The advantage in cutting is the ability to deliver large wounds, the advantage in blunt being able to ignore armor and do internal damage and the advantage in piercing being able to deliver wounds being more lethal.

What if each weapon had a form of scale of how much damage it could do and a set number that added on to the damage of each hit, with these properties being controlled by what kind of weapon it is and what it is made out of.

The weight of the weapon would determine the minimum amount of damage it could do, the sharpness of the weapon determines the maximum amount of damage a weapon could do and the piercing ability would determine the base damage that would be added on to each hit. An example would be a pure iron war hammer having a high minimum damage, so It would work very well against heavily armored foes, but each hit wouldn't do very much damage and it would also be slow to swing. Another would be a bronze one-handed dagger having a very high maximum damage, being able to make a lot of hits in a short amount of time and if used in tandem with a lunging skill would be able to deliver a lot of damage to a single enemy, but wouldn't be very effective against heavily armored foes.

This system would also work with armor as well, Such as a leather-padded chest plate-armor greatly reducing the damage of a bladed mace, by both subtracting the armor from the maximum damage and taking off a percentage of the base damage.Of course there are other factors to consider when crafting weapons as well, like reach, area-of effect, enchantment bonuses, stat contributions and more. 

A player who knows how to mix recipes and resources to fit any situation would be a force to be reckoned with on any battlefield. A guild that has many members with skills that can make weapons be unmatched in their type of use would gain a lot of revenue. And a faction that has captured the areas that have certain resources would control how well-armed their enemies are.

Have some ideas to add-on? Leave a comment!

How is your proposal different from the crafting system that's already been described to us in the Economy FAQ?

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

How is your proposal different from the crafting system that's already been described to us in the Economy FAQ?

I went in-depth about how the materials would influence the properties of the weapon and how different weapons could have different properties and uses.

Silver content in a weapon could do poison (DOT) damage to were-creatures and undead or hunger-infected creatures.

Iron content might do Poison damage to elves and centaurs (faerie folk).

Wooden shafts of spears or arrows might do DOT damage to vampyres while still stuck in them.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

I went in-depth about how the materials would influence the properties of the weapon and how different weapons could have different properties and uses.

Yes, that's the system that's been explained to us. What I'm asking is where your proposal differs from the existing plan.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I don't think they ever mentioned how damage with weapons would work. I saw some Alpha testing videos and it looked quite different from what I proposed, Instead of having a scale they just have a solid number and classifications of damage that each armor has more resistance to.

Edit: Okay I checked again and they do have a scale to damage, but I'm not sure how what the weapon is made of contributes to it, and I don't know if they have a base to hit number.

Edited by ShadowDurza

Yes, that's the system that's been explained to us. What I'm asking is where your proposal differs from the existing plan.

Did they have articles that said the exact same things I said? Can you post links to them please?

I saw that article, but I don't see how either of those relate to what I posted. The chart gives special properties each metal has, but it doesn't say anything about weight, ability to hold an edge or hardness (to determine puncturing power).

Edited by ShadowDurza