Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Helix

Passive skill gain is a cool and all, but...

Too boring when your successful actions (and failures) do not improve your skills. Skills must depend on the activity of the player, and not from the date of account creation, IMHO...

Your successful actions improve your performance and efficiency on the battle field to achieve victory and spoils for your guild, faction, self whatever the case may be. Experience playing the game improves your own playing skill. CF being more player skill based means that stats, skill trees and gear won't be the end all be all of your character like in some past game. How you build your character will matter, but how you play will matter more.

What Pang said. You can't gain player skill by letting your account age. Active play leads to character strength along a dimension which has nothing to do with the numbers on your character sheet.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

What Pang said. You can't gain player skill by letting your account age. Active play leads to character strength along a dimension which has nothing to do with the numbers on your character sheet.

Agree.

But it does not depend on a mechanism to improve skills..

My assumption is each AT is supposed to have a basic function/role and the abilities are designed to provide this in the "best" package. To open that up would likely result in a lot of OP or terrible builds requiring more and more balancing on a per AT level, addressing individual abilities.

If Disciplines are mostly universal, they can more easily tweak them or remove/add those that disrupt game play too much instead of having to make multiple passes at each AT as time goes on.

Not to mention the time/cost to do animations and what not on the base set vs disciplines that will likely be reused assets.

It's true that we'll see a lot of FOTM, OP, terrible builds, but there is no way around that. Every MMO I've played has been this way. However, as time goes on and people gain access to more options, this hopefully becomes less obvious. We won't be able to log in on day one and pre-select everything from a pool. Joe Smoe might want to be FOTM, but he'll have to acquire it through some effort. Hence working towards Promos, crafting recipes for Discipline Runes, Gear, Vessel types, and so on.

Promo classes are supposed to be unlocked after X amount of investment into the AT skill lines. They've said each might have additional abilities and at least from some of the examples shown, they could mix up the base "class" enough that it is actually a new AT to some degree. So the passive AT skill system will provide variety one way or another, which will be permanent.

They have a LONG way to go and will have a lot of work to do up until "launch" and beyond. At this point, my take is we need to get our hands on a lot more systems to really understand. Even with similarities to other games, CF is still a new package with its own ups and downs.

I looked into the disciplines a bit more and it is far more open than I thought. Almost any class can take any discipline, and that is good news.  I hope the promotions do offer more player choice and not just a straight up swapping of abilities, and I agree it is too early to tell.  A game coming from the devs of shadowbane wouldn't flush character customization down the toilet.  I am very excited for the game and can't wait to see the promotions and disciplines come into play.  Nice chatting with you.

Agree.

But it does not depend on a mechanism to improve skills..

I hate the word skills as used by CF, it muddies the water and forces us to describe what we mean when we use the word "Skill".  "Training" and "trained" would be a much better way to describe the passive development tree.

Skills to me are things I the player possess, reflexes, strategy, power familiarity, etc.  

I hate the word skills as used by CF, it muddies the water and forces us to describe what we mean when we use the word "Skill".  "Training" and "trained" would be a much better way to describe the passive development tree.

Skills to me are things I the player possess, reflexes, strategy, power familiarity, etc.  

Just use "Player Skill" when referring to how we as players are skillful (or not) at physically/mentally playing the game and "Passive Skill" or "skill tree" when referring to skills learned from the passive skill trees.

Just use "Player Skill" when referring to how we as players are skillful (or not) at physically/mentally playing the game and "Passive Skill" or "skill tree" when referring to skills learned from the passive skill trees.

Thanks for the idea, I'll do that.  

Stupid English language.

Here's the problem right here. You'll have 14 abilities, you'll always have those 14 abilities. In gw2, I can swap utilities out, change my weapons and it effectually changes how I play my character. Staff elementalists aren't played the same as Dagger / Warhorn elementalists. Both builds have distinct "personalities". I have a lot of choice, that's a large portion of what makes these games fun for people, building your character out and throwing him in to the ring. Specializations might change this, but from what I've read, they'll simply copypasta over your current abilities and you won't be able to mix-n-match like in other games.

I want to have option to mix-n-match my active abilities from the base archetype, specialization and multiple disciplines, not simply have them "replaced" for the sake of simplicity.

This!  Please!

The more mixing and matching, and variance between the same Archetypes, the better.  E.g., I hope not all Sentinels are running around with the same ability trays.

As an aside, ESO's character development is good.  Their system for creating characters (via important character development decisions, not at character creation) is the best part of the game imo.  The way they allowed you to swap out abilities based on your chosen class AND chosen class-tree--and also had abilities (and passives) tied to weapon and armor choice--was amazing.  You could line up several Thieves or Sorcerers and have each of them be totally different, ability-wise, and play-style wise.

Edited by mourne

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png