Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blazinzero

cloak and dagger moderation went sour?

well how about that, i find myself completely surprised and shocked! also you let people harvest IP's because...?  im glad the locked down forums community is going well. thanks for reading this and ahve a nice day, friends!

j6CmSi3.png

apparently it was a thing

who would've thought making mods a shadowy cabal of past players would result in some kremlin-like activity based on personal bias emot-smugbert.gif

like its almost like we experienced this kind of thing before and have seen this coming, whoa~

im just glad everyone sane decided to lay low during the lull imo, not like its a hive of activity and funposting anyways, this is just a carpetbombing run

nnnnnneeooooooooooooooow takatakata pshhbwooooosh sspbowow soobwopwowow

carpetbombing run complete

anyways friend from the last time I went on the cf slack, apparently it was resolved by introducing mods who are never going to play crowfall? I mean, there isn't much to moderate these days and that is a good thing imo

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

honestly this is a pretty legit thing to ask

what is the current state of the forums and what the future direction of it is anyways? It does feel like eggshells in a very weird passive aggressive way lest you poorly made socks in the hugbox

a few goons who never hear of this game stop by at the SA thread and ask about it every once in a while and you just gotta like shrug your shoulders and go "idk, man at least it's not Star Citizen~ but the forums aren't a good sign of what you want compared to AO or EvE, i'd wait on it for now and see how it develops. You'd have to be insane like us emot-unsmigghh.gif to buy into vaporware and we made the thread to whiteknight our 30-150 dollar purchase more than anything"

Edited by Lastgirl~

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

I think having a well organized and moderated forum is awesome because you're always gonna have people posting undiluted bile wherever they can.  But going so far as to censor anything approaching a bad word, closing threads on a whim, stomping out any sort of mild criticism, etc, and having a scorched earth policy regarding discussing moderation itself shapes the community into a place where honest discussion simply cannot happen. 

It's disrespectful.

Note that I am not accusing anyone of anything, or even saying that any particular forum displays these traits.  I am merely stating an abstract line of thought, and I think it's worth considering and responding to as a sort of discussion.  Because that is how communities work.

Quite literally, I have no idea what you fellas and lastladies are referring to.

That said, I'm not a fan of the moderation practices on the CF forums either. Inconsistent enforcement of clear rules that are applied in an even more inconsistent manner, subject to simple manipulation by nefarious posters with hidden (i.e. obvious to anyone with their eyes open) agendas and an utter inability to admit when they are wrong. Our mods on par in my experience.

My .02 as Eastre would say. I have no doubt that merely expressing my opinion will earn some "warning," making this point better than I ever could.

Back to whatever specific complaint you lads have. 

-Cool

Well, the forums are dead and the community has been horribly mismanaged by ACE. It was directly marketed to the Shadowbane crowd. Play 2 Crush was thrown all over the place. What happened when the Shadowbane community entered the forum? The moderation was locked down tight. XcomVic was brought on as moderator and was absolutely terrible at his job. In the first month a good portion of the community were dejected. It would go downhill from there. The Report system was constantly abused and despite many reports being without merit they were still acted upon. Doc Gonzo, who was the best moderator on this forum was removed causing a further rift. It was a debacle the way that was handled.

The forums eventually became pay to post because nothing fosters a community like making them pay money to have discussions. Later anonymods were introduced and people were making alts to get in and chat logs came out showing that IPs were being compromised by trolls who were able to become anonymods. That breach was never addressed. However, anonymods were only able to see IPs for a little while. Moderators no longer can. 

So, after 10 months of harsh moderator action, continuous mishandlings, and repeated debacles the community is dead. 95% of the Shadowbane community who were excited about this game do not want nothing to do with it anymore. 

Edited by checkyotrack

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Basically some people thought the forums were super important political warfare when they were really just a place for people who wanted to talk about the ongoing development of the game... that's really all that happened.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Basically some people thought the forums were super important political warfare when they were really just a place for people who wanted to talk about the ongoing development of the game... that's really all that happened.

Pretty much. Spend some time reading either emulators boards. Great stuff there. Basically the same 20-30 people,talking poorly made socks. I admit to still keeping up with it, for nostalgic reasons really. I loved the game, played from launch to close, with a lot of great guilds (I even dabbled in both emulators). I moved on, most have as well. Minus the CN/Pac-Rim population, the current "Shadowbane Community" consists of about 200 people maybe? I don't think any entity, promoting a brand in a highly competetive environment wants it's product, or community to be represented the way SBEmu or MagicBane are. It's not good for business. There will eventually be political sub forums when there is a need I'm sure. 

Edited by armegeddon

XcomVic was brought on as moderator and was absolutely terrible at his job.

I'd say that he was doing efficiently the job that was assigned to him.

If I'm correct, they sent messages directly to the former Shadowbane players and promoted the game on Shadowbane related sites, knowing that a significant portion of those players have been participating in "forumbane" and were still interested in loosely moderated discussions.

So yea, "some people thought the forums were super important political warfare" seems accurate.

I'd say that he was doing efficiently the job that was assigned to him.

I'd say if you believe that you might have a future in politics. #spindoctor

and also still lol at posters still saying these forums are dead, plenty of activity, plenty of good discussion going on. Quite pouting and stumping ones feet for a second and take a look.

Edited by pang

I would venture to guess that the current phase of development has way more to do with the lack of forum activity than any amount of forum moderation. Some games don't even have official forums and there are plenty of other places to discuss the game. There's no reason that the official forum needs to be a cesspool. If that is the type of forum activity that people enjoy, they can get it elsewhere.

But maybe I'm wrong. I'm not as hardcore as the people who like to talk tough over the internet. 

I'd say if you believe that you might have a future in politics. #spindoctor

I think it could be great if you were explaining your position. This moderator was asked to fulfill some tasks, among them ensuring that the rules of the forums were respected. As far as I know, he did exactly what he was told by ACE. I believe that it corresponds to "doing efficiently the job that was assigned to him".

Also, there were messages posted by ACE that seem to confirm that they considered the moderation team to do a great job, which included the moderator in question:

"We will be recruiting helpful members of the community on a volunteer basis to assist with moderation. The process will extremely selective, not handing them out willy-nilly

It's our responsibility that we find people who are qualified, will not abuse their power and are assisting purely from the goodness of their hearts. 

We'll announce when we start looking for bannermen."

Then, more than a month later:

"Our Moderators are members of the community who are kindly donating their precious time to keep these forums safe! They're community members, just like all of you, and don't have access to secret information or anything like that. 

I'm really appreciative of the the team we've selected, we communicate over forum issues in a private board and not once have they tried to ask questions about Crowfall that we haven't already disclosed to the public. 

Moderation can be seen as thankless task to some, but those who excel take solace that it is done for the good of the overall community. We're always on the look out for great community members we feel would be a good fit and often reach out to see if they are interested."

This message was posted 1 day before the moderator left. I think it's worth reading his last posts to figure out the reason(s) of his departure.

Edited by courant101

If I'm correct, they sent messages directly to the former Shadowbane players and promoted the game on Shadowbane related sites, knowing that a significant portion of those players have been participating in "forumbane" and were still interested in loosely moderated discussions.

So yea, "some people thought the forums were super important political warfare" seems accurate.

I don't really know what they did to promote the game... but I do know that their endgame was never to make the game specifically and only for the preferences of the emulator crowd.

Did ACE embellish about their vision?  Probably...  Did they change some things along the way?  Yes...  But to me there is a very big difference between the people who played shadowbane at launch, and the people who cling to emulator life...  I understand that when people see the game advertising itself they project their own ideals onto it... but in a practical sense it should never have been expected for them to want to recreate the sb emulator type environments... it would be a terrible business move, as well as a terrible move in general. 

lol if you think the lack of activity is due to development activity you are an idiot. 

Of course we always get to hear VN chime in with his passive aggressive virginspeak. 

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

I would venture to guess that the current phase of development has way more to do with the lack of forum activity than any amount of forum moderation. Some games don't even have official forums and there are plenty of other places to discuss the game. There's no reason that the official forum needs to be a cesspool. If that is the type of forum activity that people enjoy, they can get it elsewhere.

But maybe I'm wrong. I'm not as hardcore as the people who like to talk tough over the internet. 

Funny thing is those that took their ball and went home so to speak did just that create their own places to poorly made socks talk but they are pretty much ghost towns with little activity, so they of course come back here to complain about... not enough activity. Instead of actually trying to help build the community they would rather burn it and then complain about the smoke.

I don't get it, I'm just here to help ACE make their game and the game I backed anything else until live launch is rather pointless IMO. After launch then sure by all means have poorly made socks talking sections but right now its about making the game.

Edited by pang

lol if you think the lack of activity is due to development activity you are an idiot. 

Of course we always get to hear VN chime in with his passive aggressive virginspeak. 

Well some of us have been through games in development before... there is nothing out of the ordinary with the activity spikes in crowfall...

What's this? Same old song and dance. Can't believe you guys entered into another "conversation" about moderation.

There was no legitimate complaint here. They could've started a conversation and posted a screenshot on some other more "conversation" friendly website and had a real complaint? Just a bunch of goon spam here. And some of you took the bait....

Most days, Pann and Tyrant make up a large percentage of the posts. These forums are deader than the emulator forums you guys cry about.

Plus, the moderators are cloak and dagger considering they brought them from who knows where. Supposedly, player moderators don't have access to IPs, but maybe these guys do. No idea.

If you don't have any idea how moderation works, it's pretty simple: they don't read your posts. They wait for some white knight to press the report button and then they take action. The entire moderation task could be done during a bowel movement.

No point trolling. Just sit back and laugh as the white knights take pot shots at each other because they have no one else to troll now but each other.