Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Massively OP: World building exclusive - Official discussion thread

My sandcastle is going to better than yours, Elf.

But, yes, same debate that has gone on since EK was announced. What is the point? The lack of resource sinks or demand for dregs players will need to be addressed.

Right. It may be necessary to allow imports for most of the Dregs and Shadows campaigns. You can keep a few no-import campaigns around, but it's really important that Dregs and Shadows players have some connection the overarching game economy.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

With only the 3-faction and 12-faction bands allowing imported gear/vessel

<snip>

Players looking forward to their next 3-faction campaign would love to have some rare items from the dregs, but they really don't have anything to offer the Dregs players in exchange.

<snip>

The Dregs players don't necessarily need inferior resources and items, in fact they don't really need anything at all for their next campaign.

It is not written in stone that only the factional bands will allow imports. Import settings are one of the "knobs" they intend to experiment with. If Dregs players anticipate eventually playing in a Dregs campaign that allows imports, they have an incentive to accumulate stuff for that.

Also, if EK and factional players want the stuff available in the Dregs badly enough, I suspect they will try playing in Dregs campaigns just to get it. If we can lure more people into the Dregs, that would be a good thing.

IhhQKY6.gif

It's only important if your goal is to make the economy function. Dregs campaigns will function fine regardless.

Assuming dregs are high end exporters and the RvR types are high end consumers and low end resource exporters, solution must create demand for lowend resources amongst dregs players...otherwise why ever trade?

What is the point?

the introduction of a cash-shop, without ever having to worry about p2w cries (as if :D)

but ya... at this point, the EK, for me at least, is just their approach to implement a cash-shop... everything that might come with it, is just a byproduct

The only thing that worries me about this is, if different parcels get put next to each other and they don't match at the aligned borders.

Humans have a feeling for such things and notice it very quickly if something doesn't behave like nature.

(you can see on the maps in the video that every parcel has a "border" that doesn't fit 100% with some random other parcel that is not handmade for being aligned).

1822083656c632d4f1ae8.png

When this is is taken care of, the parcel building tool will be a great feature for both the campaign and the EK!! Can't wait to see how it looks when it's finished.

Edited by Illara

GWH5xXf.jpg?1

,,...You get killed over and over again, that doesn't mean the game is unbalanced - it means that You are a bad player" -JTC

Also, if EK and factional players want the stuff available in the Dregs badly enough, I suspect they will try playing in Dregs campaigns just to get it. If we can lure more people into the Dregs, that would be a good thing.

I think it's super important to realize that the EK's probably aren't meant to be a co-equal gameplay sphere with the Campaign Worlds. This idea that some players will be able to hang out in the EKs and wait for the campaigns to end is misleading. They could sit there if they wanted, but they wouldn't have poorly made socks to trade to the returning campaigners. Basically, they'd be bums.

Assuming dregs are high end exporters and the RvR types are high end consumers and low end resource exporters, solution must create demand for lowend resources amongst dregs players...otherwise why ever trade?

The only naturally occurring scenario which has come to mind is a situation wherein the Dregs players used all their Embargo space on high-end resources and items, where they RvR players used it on mid range resources and gold. If we need gold to pay our EK upkeeps, then the RvR players would just need to find Dregs players who also want to build EKs.

When it comes to the social hub aspect of the EKs, I can see them reflecting campaign and meta-campaign politics. Players and guilds might pick up their parcels and move to an "alliance" EK before, during or after a campaign. Some alliances may require a move, others might not care. Alliance EKs would allow for a common social hub, encouraging camaraderie, and serve as a great common area for testing character builds and strategies. If an alliance manages to stick together after a campaign, i'm sure they'd be willing to trade or share resources and items in the interim, especially if their next campaign allows import.

Finally, EKs could be great as public playgrounds where PvP'ers could come for random, no-consequence pvp. Remember open trees in Shadowbane? If the devs added in a number of fancy emotes and vanity costumes, they could usher in a new era for MMO Roleplaying. The EKs are just screaming to be used as private or public mini RP servers.

I think it's super important to realize that the EK's probably aren't meant to be a co-equal gameplay sphere with the Campaign Worlds. This idea that some players will be able to hang out in the EKs and wait for the campaigns to end is misleading. They could sit there if they wanted, but they wouldn't have poorly made socks to trade to the returning campaigners. Basically, they'd be bums.

Not sure what that has to do with what I said. Perhaps you misquoted me? I was talking about how people who might not have otherwise planned to play in the Dregs might end up playing there because they want the stuff that can only be found there.

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

Not sure what that has to do with what I said. Perhaps you misquoted me? I was talking about how people who might not have otherwise planned to play in the Dregs might end up playing there because they want the stuff that can only be found there.

I was expanding on your notion that players would be lured to the dregs by rare resources. The idea is, if you as a player don't take SOME sort of risk or engage in SOME sort of PvP, you're going to be equally bored and useless. The idea that some players will be able to just hang out in an EK for three months while they wait for the campaign to end just gives false hope to carebears.

Edited by soulein

I was expanding on your notion that players would be lured to the dregs by rare resources. The idea is, if you as a player don't take SOME sort of risk or engage in SOME sort of PvP, you're going to be equally bored and useless. The idea that some players will be able to just hang out in an EK for three months while they wait for the campaign to end just gives false hope to carebears.

Oh, I see. Yea, I don't think playing exclusively in EKs will work for people unless they don't mind being "Have Nots."

IhhQKY6.gif

The only thing that worries me about this is, if different parcels get put next to each other and they don't match at the aligned borders.

Humans have a feeling for such things and notice it very quickly if something doesn't behave like nature.

(you can see on the maps in the video that every parcel has a "border" that doesn't fit 100% with some random other parcel that is not handmade for being aligned).

1822083656c632d4f1ae8.png

When this is is taken care of, the parcel building tool will be a great feature for both the campaign and the EK!! Can't wait to see how it looks when it's finished.

We've spent a fair amount of time on the blending of the terrain (model) and materials (textures) and terrain objects (grass, rocks, trees, etc) to hide the seams.

Right now, from ground level, you CAN see it in some spots if you are looking -- but in most places it isn't apparent.  The map above makes it seem like it's really noticeable, but with grass and ground textures it blends pretty well.

We intend to make another pass, but TBH it's so slight and infrequent that we relegated this issue to "a known outstanding item on our to-do list", because it doesn't impact gameplay and it's purely cosmetic.  We have more pressing things to do right now, but we'll get back to it eventually!

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

<image removed>

Agreed, it's pretty visible to me too. Most games solve this problem by doing smoothing/blending at the edges, so I imagine ACE is aware of this problem as well. It's a polishing thing though and not something immediately necessary.

EDIT: Haha, see above.

Edited by recatek

I am sorry, i accidently liked your posting instead of quoting it. I hope you don't feel offended.

However, i wouldn't be to worried about this specific point. As far as we can see in the video, ACE have managed to solve the border problem quite well. I worried about this, too. But i am (still) more worried about the borders regarding the land/ocean transition and the possible fractoions you will get if you set down a fortress into a given voxel ground. I think this is a very different story. Playing with voxels over a year now, and seeing this video, i am no more concerned about the parcel to parcel transition. They got it. So i am eager to see more. ;)

2W1ZHpA.jpg

EVERYONE, IT HAPPENED, JAMESGOBLIN MADE A COMMENT, look in the greybox flythrough video and scrolldown, you will find jamesgoblin with multiple comments.

IS THIS THE END?!?!?!

The merchant families of Guinecea were the first to establish trade between Worlds. Our artist, the inventors of sculpture and stagecraft. Our duelist, the finest masters to wield a blade. Our engineers, the only to unlock the secret of munitions.

We've spent a fair amount of time on the blending of the terrain [...] Right now, from ground level, you CAN see it in some spots if you are looking [...] we relegated this issue to "a known outstanding item on our to-do list", because it doesn't impact gameplay and it's purely cosmetic.  We have more pressing things to do right now, but we'll get back to it eventually!

Know what? I really love this extraordinarily honest and to-the-point statements. You might know nothing or something or everything about the related issues but they answer it all with one single posting. Just outstanding. Really. And they have a natural sense if something is more or less important to more or less people. Have seen this continuously over a year now and i am still amazed. Haven't seen this in many other alphas i played though. Great job. :)

2W1ZHpA.jpg

EVERYONE, IT HAPPENED, JAMESGOBLIN MADE A COMMENT, look in the greybox flythrough video and scrolldown, you will find jamesgoblin with multiple comments.

IS THIS THE END?!?!?!

No. You are just not well informed. And by the way you are off topic. The day has yet to come, when thy greatness JamesGoblin will bless us simple crows within the mundane enviroment of this forum. Nevertheless, those who knows, they know. For this is not about belief. This is about the conviction that his highness keeps his praising watch over his herd in multiple dimensions, even and especially those dimies that are far from the one we are constrained to. We would be nothing without his endless efforts which nobody can tell but his wife (bless her soul).

You ask why the former mortal - known as "hero" - has been summoned into the circle of goods? JG is your answer. Since he may not talk about it, for he is the principal of nobleness. But he is the archetype of Hero and his true soul.

However - to get back to topic - i would wonder if his JG'ness wouldn't agree with beeing this threads informations something he would be able to agree with in some points. Just my humble opinion and may he forgive me if i am wrong. Just saying.

2W1ZHpA.jpg

It's only important if your goal is to make the economy function. Dregs campaigns will function fine regardless.

Resource-rich Dregs winners could finance their VIP tokens and other gaming needs by trading resources in the EK with Dregs losers or those unwilling to risk playing in the Dregs.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Resource-rich Dregs winners could finance their VIP tokens and other gaming needs by trading resources in the EK with Dregs losers or those unwilling to risk playing in the Dregs.

If ACE is going to copy EVE's PLEX mechanism for VIP time/game store items, you're probably right.