Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Founders’ Update: Innovation is risky - Official discussion thread

many of us are already spreading the word among friends and enemies, there are many people who follow the development and would jump in as soon as the game releases. 

As soon as the game supports community and social tools like guilds, kingdom taxing and other more and more people would get involved.

keep it up ACE...

The were two reason why I backed my first Kickstarter:

Firstly, Guineceans, that goes without saying. Who doesnt like cute fluffy things? In an industry (gaming and other media) where you can choose between Human, Tall Human and Short Human. Having a real different race is a relieve.

Secondly, you sold me on the world. Which ties into the first point. All the archetype not only have personality (which is an odd thing to say because (contrary to popular believe) they are not characters) but an entire culture behind it. I only read the Guinecean backstory but you know who the Guineceans are. They arent just some tribe. They are hardworking, honest and honorable folks who are proud of themselfs and their craftmanship.

But not only the Archetypes are real, the world is too. Yes persistence is important to many players, Todd though found the perfect explaination (or wrapper what ever you wanna call it) for this problem. We are no heros! We are half gods, imortals send out by the gods to salvage the dying worlds.

This world feels real and believable. More real then a world with 12 novels and 7 expansions ever could.

I AM ME!
I love you all.

I would never in my whole life even get to the idea, to draw a picture for the people at EA or any other game publisher these days.

I think nobody in the whole world would ever come to this idea, no one, not even their family members. Its totally awkward, isnt it?!

But for you guys I did, because I really felt like doing it, because its really fun to be with you guys. Keep up the good work.  :)

We can reach anything within game creating together, what EA and their likes never ever could, even with all their money they got.

Because money doesnt make games.

I didnt know the people of ACE before (Gordon Walton and JTC).

But I have to say they are seemingly an outstanding shiny last hope for the future of the gaming industry. They are totally different from the rest of the gaming industry, its so much necessary, so much needed and so refreshing to have interesting people, who love video games, developing your game. The rest is really upsetting.

If Crowfall comes to be anywhere near from what I expect, and so far it is looking pretty good, I am gonna support them in anything they are going to do in the future.

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

Before the Kickstarter, I spent over a decade looking for this game.  I was annoyed that nobody seemed to think about fun the same way I did.  Nobody saw that the major problems with political/economic stagnation could be solved with a big reset button.  When I discovered Crowfall, my initial reaction (besides excitement) was profound relief.  I was afraid that this concept would never fly.

But it will.

Thank you, ACE team!

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

Hmm, where is the 1 year anniversary sale of items?  Where is the 1 year goodies we can purchase, 

I would have loved to see a 1 year anniversary mount, or something,  possible a series of items in different price ranges.

Edited by Nakawe

Love it or hate it I backed it because I liked the ideas presented.

I was tired of the same retread ideas and this was something different. Even if this game crashes and burns the noise has been made that there is an audience out there that wants something different.

The MMO scene has been lacking innovation for a while as they all try to copy WoW with some tweaks.

Rage Quit

Well I didn't know ya'll were gonna post this great big 'thank you' when I gave ya some more money this morning. It really wasn't necessary, but I appreciate it anyway.

I personally haven't played a persistent MMO in years, yeah the developers call 'em persistent, but in most games after launch, in the first 3 months the Clan has quit, by month 4 my friends have quit, by month 5 the fall back guild has quit playing, and by month 6 I'm looking at server shut down and consolidation, so I quit.

Not much persistence I'd say.

I'm investing in your vision specifically because ya'll understand how fast your target market gets bored and moves onto the next game. And building that into your game by utilizing win conditions and server destruction was pure genius.  

Now if the Clan gets bored in 60 days and quits the game, I can start over on a new server, with new people, and keep my character improvements. And if you get combat right and tweak the new servers enough from the old servers, the game may stay fresh for much longer than six months.

That is my hope anyway. 

Edited by corvax

Well, It's my anniversary too. Account created the 24th February 2015 :D

@Nakawa : ArtCraft =/= Cloud Imperium Games

Cloud Imperum Games isnt bad or anyhting, they are also great people, almost just like ACE.

Todd stated himself, that he is a bit upset they werent able to get to create things for the EKs first, which they could sell through the store, to get additional funds, helping to develop the game.

But he stated, it would be first priority, to find the fun in a game. This comes first before anything else, Todd said.

This is most possibly the right approach to how to develop a game, he mentioned.

Edited by Urahara

Well I didn't know ya'll were gonna post this great big 'thank you' when I gave ya some more money this morning. It really wasn't necessary, but I appreciate it anyway.

I personally haven't played a persistent MMO in years, yeah the developers call 'em persistent, but in most games after launch, in the first 3 months the Clan has quit, by month 4 my friends have quit, by month 5 the fall back guild has quit playing, and by month 6 I'm looking at server shut down and consolidation, so I quit.

/snip

Totally with you.  An early argument was, conceptually, what exactly even is persistence?  No game has ever been persistent.  Every game I have ever played has had beginnings and endings.  Making replay-ability a part of a more general system of reciprocity (EKs/CWs) is a great idea and I hope the devs keep digging at the different connections.

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

I'm investing in your vision specifically because ya'll understand how fast your target market gets bored and moves onto the next game. And building that into your game by utilizing win conditions and server destruction was pure genius.  

Now if the Clan gets bored in 60 days and quits the game, I can start over on a new server, with new people, and keep my character improvements. And if you get combat right and tweak the new servers enough from the old servers, the game may stay fresh for much longer than six months.

That is my hope anyway. 

Totally with you.  An early argument was, conceptually, what exactly even is persistence?  No game has ever been persistent.  Every game I have ever played has had beginnings and endings.  Making replay-ability a part of a more general system of reciprocity (EKs/CWs) is a great idea and I hope the devs keep digging at the different connections.

Lets face it, these wanna be game developers with their degree in "game making" from their game school, got no idea how to make a real/good game, nor do they care, as long as they get their money.

When I was young game developer wasnt a job you could learn, it was something creative artists were volunteering for. They were inspired artists, creative people, not like the jokes of a game creator, which these highschool boys of a game creator of these times are.

Edited by Urahara

It's great that they succeeded with their Kickstarter, just hope they actually deliver a strategy game somewhere in there like they said they would, and I wish they were a little more genuine with their Fae and Centaur races, I'm very disappointed that all those Fae pictures with wings were just a rouse...

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I wouldn't worry about what others think of your game. Most everyone I know plays a combination of instanced match based games and persistent world games. Crowfall will be the reese's pieces of online gaming.

"I say. . . " ClanL

It's great that they succeeded with their Kickstarter, just hope they actually deliver a strategy game somewhere in there like they said they would, and I wish they were a little more genuine with their Fae and Centaur races, I'm very disappointed that all those Fae pictures with wings were just a rouse...

What are you talking about... The Assassin archetype hasnt been made yet, the are supposed to have wings and be able to glide.

Did i miss a post saying they were removed?

MOkvLlm.png

The strategy is in how you play the game, there's not much they can do to influence your decisions on what you want to do in Crowfall. You want to be a crafter? There's a bunch of crafting skills, so pick one. Aside from giving you options, what else can they do? From the look of the skill system (which I got a brief glimpse of in the recent Pre-Alpha tests) I'd say they've given you some neat skills to play with. Skills aside, there's also how you're going to win the Campaign. Like espionage? Infiltrate a guild and be their undoing. Like fighting? Kill everyone that crosses your path. Like playing the strategist? Set up battles for raiding enemy strongholds, or patrols for land divisions, or post guards along a route so you can get that caravan back to base without someone taking you out.

Sounds like strategy to me.

Also, how were they not genuine with their Centaur race? Because he turned out to be Combat Support-oriented? Seriously, if you don't want him to focus on using those healing skills, focus on his combat skills instead and save the support section for when you finish making him a terror on the battlefield. Or just skip them entirely and move on to making another Archetype playable, since we have access to all their skills now.

And we haven't even seen the Fae yet, but from the sound of it she's gonna have wings and will be more than capable of using them, same with the half-fae male assassins presumably. So far the only characters we've seen are the Confessor, Knight, Legionnaire and Champion, and next is the Ranger. None of them are fae, so I'm curious what you mean? There's a picture somewhere of an Assassin facing down a Hunger-consumed Griffon, and she very clearly has wings in that shot.

Picture can be found here: https://game-guide.fr/39272-lassassin-de-crowfall-sort-de-lombre/

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

Hmm, where is the 1 year anniversary sale of items?  Where is the 1 year goodies we can purchase, 

I would have loved to see a 1 year anniversary mount, or something,  possible a series of items in different price ranges.

This would probably be after release, rather than from the intitial concept idea otherwise you could have like the 20 year anniversary for a game that only has been launched for a year or two, im sure they are already thinking of ideas for the launch anniversary

Personally with your concepts of innovation are part of what drove me to up the amount of money I gave from kickstarter to now with the 2015 packages. Honestly I am tired of the tried and true WoW concept that seems to keep coming back. It's like a weird mutated hydra, that when they copy someone else's idea into it, it grows a new head. I want a game that has some originality in it and for me this is what your bringing to the table for me. 

Edit: Speaking of WoW, I can trace nearly every feature that they have added since classic to another game that thought of it first.

Edited by a1uc3rd