Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
courant101

Crucial features

I'm squarely in the "don't care about large-scale battles" camp. Years of playing Planetside has taught me that massive battles are overrated and the most fun fights are in the 12v12 range.

Planetside 2 being a first person shooter, the PvP experience is very different than large-scale battles in MMORPGs (DF, WAR, TERA).

Crowfall is a Throne War simulator, and war usually implies a lot more than 12v12 PvP. Ideally I believe that Crowfall should offer all styles of PvP: solo roaming, small skirmishes, medium GvG, massive faction battles and sieges...

The list in the OP contains features that were discussed a year ago but that we haven't heard much about since then or that I fear have been abandoned. Large-scale battles is one of them, while 12v12 size battle is pretty much certain at  this point.

Large scale battles and server performance is by far the most important. Not because I want it (which I absolutely do btw), but because it's is going to happen. Barring instanced seiges, extremely large numbers will happen. Most SB folks are aware of what a server war is, and it will happen here. It's the politics of one-upmanship, the numbers game.

Consider that every buff, debuff, spell cast, swing, block and location of every individual as it relates to every other individual in the area as well as the recognition of destructable environment has to occur. The calculations rise significantly as more people are added to the fray. So if the server cannot handle the task of sending tens of thousands of messages in fractions of seconds in a concentrated area, the game will not deliver. It very well could effect performance throughout the entire campaign mapset, causing lag or lock up for those not attending the 300vs300 seige.

Large scale seiging as it relates to server performance must be done right. If it's artificially limited, let's say 50 v 50, that's not good for business either. It's not what I signed up for.

Edited by armegeddon

The things that make the game playable at all come first to me, so a good combat system, a well balanced economy, and game performance, in that order. I can deal with performance problems in the short term, the other two would kill the game pretty fast for me.

I could settle for just the first, though, if it came down to it.

Edited by bearmans

Planetside 2 being a first person shooter, the PvP experience is very different than large-scale battles in MMORPGs (DF, WAR, TERA).

Crowfall is a Throne War simulator, and war usually implies a lot more than 12v12 PvP. Ideally I believe that Crowfall should offer all styles of PvP: solo roaming, small skirmishes, medium GvG, massive faction battles and sieges...

The list in the OP contains features that were discussed a year ago but that we haven't heard much about since then or that I fear have been abandoned. Large-scale battles is one of them, while 12v12 size battle is pretty much certain at this point.

Throne war simulator is just a fluff word, it literally means nothing. I could say that crowfall is a bagel eating simulator and that would sound better / make more sense. Not sure what the deal is with th lag and skill delay, but it needs to get fixed. Edited by helix

Throne war simulator is just a fluff word, it literally means nothing. I could say that crowfall is a bagel eating simulator and that would sound better / make more sense.

This appellation conveys information on what the game is about:

- Throne: politics, medieval setting, kingdoms, betrayal, struggle for power, espionage

- War: territorial conquest, large-scale conflict, armies, harsh conditions, destruction, sieges, domination

Bagel Eating simulator sounds cool, but doesn't tell us what Crowfall is about.

Its not about the features, features are just a means to an end.

You dont want features!

What you and we all want are living, vibrant, breathing worlds, in which we can feel authentic and part of, and which we can immerse ourselves in.

These games these days have features maybe, but not a bit of Immersion for their players.

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

The only things that matter on the OP's list are 1) large scale battles and 2) big campaigns. As implied corollary the combat must be fun and the campaign objectives have asset loss and consequential choices.

Everything else is fluff...even the character customization that makes up a lot of the pre-battle strategy.

The list in the OP contains features that were discussed a year ago but that we haven't heard much about since then or that I fear have been abandoned. Large-scale battles is one of them, while 12v12 size battle is pretty much certain at this point.

I hope they haven't abandoned large scale pvp support, otherwise crowfall will be alterc valley simulator, not a "throne war simulator". Edited by helix

There were several features discussed about a year ago, some of them haven't got much attention since then. Examples:

-large-scale battles

-VR

-realistic projectiles (real objects, ballistic trajectory, deflect/ricochet)

-friendly fire

-voxels (fully destructible world, procedurally generated towns and caves, tunnels, sieging from below)

-hit location system (gloves, boots, torso, helmet)

-continent sized maps / thousands of players per campaign

-active training

-combat pets

-deep crafting system

-thralls

I think some of those were promised, and others were more "begged for" by the community. As to whats crucial for this game to succeed? That's a great question. I think living up to its promises without adding any new requests or feature bloat is the biggest challenge facing it.

As I see it this game still has a budget crisis. It needs to get something into playable form by the end of the year or they risk needing to do more external (or Kickstarter) funding. 

That means we'd better start seeing more archetypes, details about crafting (the core of the PVP cycle in this game), and get some pretty quick access to the EK model to see how World Building goes. Without seeing this by summer, I'm doubtful they can keep on track in terms of timelines. They've never promised a release date, but if we don't have these elements in place by end of Summer, i'd doubt they can really expect a significant amount of new backers to push forward in funding.

More to the point, we still know precious little about some really fundamental systems that are necessary to really grasp how this whole game will pan out. We barely know anything about any of the Promotion Classes, we have no information at all on Crafting and its interface, and we were promised a web interface to reserve guild names, character names, and some of the other Kickstarter names back last August (of which we have heard NOTHING about overshooting this timeline). From an ardent observer of their progress, we are already behind (and I'm giving them leeway for wanting to go back and overhaul combat... which needed it, but which I have yet to see any real changes in).

Edited by scree

I think some of those were promised, and others were more "begged for" by the community. [...]

The items listed in the original post are some of the things that 1) were announced by ACE and 2) we got no or few update about since KS.

They've never promised a release date, but if we don't have these elements in place by end of Summer, i'd doubt they can really expect a significant amount of new backers to push forward in funding.

They've said that the launch would happen in December 2016 and they haven't yet announced any delay.

I agree with most of the things you've written. I'm optimistic in regard of the funding though, the pledge meter continues to rise and they could always ask for more money from investors if they need to.

I agree with most of the things you've written. I'm optimistic in regard of the funding though, the pledge meter continues to rise and they could always ask for more money from investors if they need to.

I think it's likely they'll see some spikes in pledges as 2.0, 3.0, etc. roll out.

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

I think it's likely they'll see some spikes in pledges as 2.0, 3.0, etc. roll out.

Yea, if the destruction, sieges and ranger gameplay are fun and look good on the streams, I'm pretty sure that there will be a surge in hype and pledge. Not many games (if any) offer what Crowfall is trying to achieve, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of new backers during Siege Perilous. 

-large-scale battles

-VR

-realistic projectiles (real objects, ballistic trajectory, deflect/ricochet)

-friendly fire

-voxels (fully destructible world, procedurally generated towns and caves, tunnels, sieging from below)

-hit location system (gloves, boots, torso, helmet)

-continent sized maps / thousands of players per campaign

-active training

-combat pets

-deep crafting system

-thralls

Bold = must

Italic = preferred

Strikethru = LOL

Normal = indifferent

More must haves:

-good combat (tera as minimum)

-fun caster/support class(es)