Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Helix

Alchemy/Food: Heal pots and more.

Alchemy, yay or nay?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should alchemy be in the game (hopefully at launch)

• Yay, I need my purple drink.
    • Nay, I smoke rocks.

I was thinking that with alchemy, different ingredients would produce different effects, along with the processes used to craft it, such as distillation, calcination, sublimation, fermentation, putrefaction, congelation, and more. Like one ingredient could heal hp and a certain process could decide whether it heals a fixed number or a solid percent.

Some effects could be combined by processing the ingredients differently and mixing them, like using the essence of an herb in water and mixing in a mushroom put through a calcinator and using a moarter and pestle on some berries and using an alembic to mix in the fumes from the juice.

But to balance it all using potions would have a cooldown, with more potent potions having a longer cooldown. And for lore's sake they could say that using too many potions at one time could turn them into poison in the body.

Edited by ShadowDurza

Honestly i'm in the no-op-healing camp and i disagree with your view of how heals are absolutely necessary,but i think pots are fine as long as they don't become a necessity.

I wouldn't want top tier potions to heal 30-50% hp,even on a 60sec cooldown.

I'm tempted to throw down all my ideas regarding potions and crafting but i think i'll refrain until we get more in-depth information about them.

Still,i would love to see potions and food buffs with a plethora of effects,and of course limitations,as long as they don't give too much of an edge they could work both as a money sink and as a fun and useful mechanic.

but i think pots are fine as long as they don't become a necessity.

seriously, have you EVER played a PvP game?

Literally EVERYTHING that gives you an advantage will become a necessity. No 2 ways about it...

I dont mind potions I just hope they have a LONG cooldown. Spamming pots every 5 seconds or even every 60 seconds stupid. Id like 3min cooldown for pots

MOkvLlm.png

Ways to balance healing potions for PvP:

1 - Instant health potions have the lowest healing value of all potions

2 - notable cooldown on using potions ( could be per type of potion for global over all potion types)

3 - Give a draw back to using potions.

4 - Make potions a hefty investment ( perhaps worth 2-3 low-medium quality items(read weapon/armor))

5 - Make all healing potions as Heals Over Time with a long duration but low interval numbers so you can be killed while using them.

6 - Make alternative potions to healing look more appealing ( damage reduction via Armor/Resistance potions strong but low up time)

Landmimes, the silent killer.

Ways to balance healing potions for PvP:

1 - Instant health potions have the lowest healing value of all potions

2 - notable cooldown on using potions ( could be per type of potion for global over all potion types)

3 - Give a draw back to using potions.

4 - Make potions a hefty investment ( perhaps worth 2-3 low-medium quality items(read weapon/armor))

5 - Make all healing potions as Heals Over Time with a long duration but low interval numbers so you can be killed while using them.

6 - Make alternative potions to healing look more appealing ( damage reduction via Armor/Resistance potions strong but low up time)

On #2, how about instead of a cooldown, it works like CC-resistance. You drink one potion, you get full effect. You drink another of the same potion soon after, you get diminished effect. This goes on until your vessel has grown immune to the potion's effects until you take a break from the drinks.

Basically a soft cooldown, but it doesn't truly prevent you from demanding some more healing right away so long as you're ok with not getting your buck's worth.

Edited by Dondagora

On #2, how about instead of a cooldown, it works like CC-resistance. You drink one potion, you get full effect. You drink another of the same potion soon after, you get diminished effect. This goes on until your vessel has grown immune to the potion's effects until you take a break from the drinks.

Basically a soft cooldown, but it doesn't truly prevent you from demanding some more healing right away so long as you're ok with not getting your buck's worth.

I mean you could call diminishing returns a drawback, but I'm sure ArtCraft will have plenty of time to test proper healing, if any, from potions when they go into crafting and disciple testing.

Landmimes, the silent killer.

i dont like consumables and i dont like heal potions. in just about every game i try to find a way to not need them even if its intended to do so.

bufffood is even worse.

The other side of the coin is though:

Consumables have often played a very active role in the economy of most games I've played.  So, if we assume that consumables such as potions are introduced to the game in a balanced manner, meaning they are helpful without being OP upon use . . .

. . . they'd be an active "interest sink" for materials found in CWs required for their production.

Not a bad thing.

Edited by Bramble

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

I'd like to see a system in which

1.  Any time that you take damage, there is a chance that one or more of the potions that you are carrying gets destroyed

2.  The more potions that you are carrying, the greater the chance of breakage

I think that this is a more "realistic" way to achieve the desired end than diminishing returns or weird side effects

WAZ6Fov.png

"The cinnabar is a lie"

another thing, i'd like to add: potions should not be instant and their use should be interruptable.

i cant dring medicine in no time. it always takes some seconds to take something out of my bag and put it in my mouth. and if i got hit while doing so, i would drop it and have no effect.